1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

08 prius hood wont lock after accident Pic*

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by TheKracken, May 15, 2017.

1. TheKracken

TheKracken Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi everyone, my wife just rear ended someones SUV at a low speed but it cracked the front bumper and bent up the front hood. I took the hood off the car and hammered it down a little bit to kinda fit onto the car but when I put it back on the hood will latch but not close. Basically as if you had it locked and then popped the hood. Any ideas how to fix this? The radiator support looks to be a little off so I tried to use a rubber mallet to fix it a little but hasn't worked yet.

I might buy a new hood (found new aftermarket one a few hours away for 110$)
    But id prefer to not spend anymore money than I have to on my 240k mile prius.

Attached Files:

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You'll need a new bumper and a new hood....The liability of having that bumper/hood fly off while driving, would be more expensive than the parts.

3. TheKracken

TheKracken Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am fine with buying a new bumper as well. It was about another 100 for a aftermarket one. I am just worried that after 200$ it still wont close fully.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Whenever you DIY body repairs, you could end up with parts that don't line up perfectly. I replaced my 2005 hood and I had to change out the hood latch. Even today, it doesn't seem perfect but it locks securely.

5. TheKracken

TheKracken Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here is some more photos of the latch and the support bracket

Attached Files:

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's impossible to know from pictures. after the hood, the frame that the latch is connected to might need to be straightened to line things up.
    if you are not capable, i would run it by a body shoppe for an opinion. maybe they will use you $100. hood and bumper.
    tell them you just want it all to be safe and secure.

M in KC and Mendel Leisk like this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    One look at that:

upload_2017-5-15_16-57-33.png

And I vote head straight for the body shop. If you've got collision insurance use it.

M in KC, CNYhybrid and bisco like this.
  8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That whole cross member is not even close. The lock doesn't have a chance. Whacked really good.
    Has to be replaced probably spot welded on.

9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Which means the condenser is probably beat up too. Probably ac does not work now.

10. madmax75

madmax75 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
  11. M in KC

M in KC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That would be a first, hood pins on a Pri! Love It!

But seriously TK, you have more issues than just a hood, bumper and hood latch here. Been there done this.

Also be mindful of the thermos in addition to everything else that has been suggested. Toyota packed everything in pretty tight on these cars and they don't tolerate much rearranging. Best advise, take to shop it at a couple of body shops and get their opinions and estimates. IMO, you already need a hood, bumper cover, hood latch, an upper rad support and I'm going to assume the energy absorbing foam in the bumper will need to be replaced as it's done its one and done job as well. But you need to start removing all the damaged parts to see what you are potentially in for. You might consider printing off some micro fiche images of the front bumper area for parts id, location etc.

edthefox5 likes this.
  12. madmax75

madmax75 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring