1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

08 Prius SKS key fob programming & audio question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Ash Mc, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Ash Mc

Ash Mc New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I searched and can't seem to find an answer to my situation. Bought an 08 Prius used, only came with one sks smart key fob. Which had full functionality until the battery died. After replacing the battery in the remote, the proximity function the lock/unlock buttons no longer work so I physically have to put the key fob into the dash to start the car. Trying to avoid the high cost of going to the dealership. Batteries+ nearby offers the programming for $45 or a new OEM key fob for $125 + programming.

Is it possible to re-program my key fob using the chicken dance and then also program a new replacement key fob?

Second question; I have a 2.5 mm jack connected to play music from my phone which used to work and then stopped working. Whenever I press the CD/AUX button, nothing happens. It only tries to read a CD.

2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Suspect the new battery or installation (upside down). Suspect the 3.5mm cable.

GOOD LUCK!

3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Also, suspect the "there is a plug plugged in the socket" detection switch. If it is this, the easiest solution is to bypass the switch so the car always thinks there is a plug plugged in. Search the Gen 2 threads for more information and details on how to do it.

4. Robbiebravo50

Robbiebravo50 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hav a 2008 Prius 260,000 miles been great car! I’ve replaced 12volt battery. About 6 times and hybrid twice. All myself. Also 2 inverter pumps. Replaced the “ FOB “ once. Went to dealer hav it programmed paid the $. Never had a problem. Ther is is an “actual chicken dance” to program. U can look it up on u-tube. HOWEVER. Failing at this could result in faulty security system and messes up the main Computor and known cases of damaging the main Computor. Good luck

5. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    While I could agree that messing up the "Chicken Dance" could wreak havoc with the programming of keys, I highly suspect that no actual physical damage would be done to any ECU (computer).

At worst, if it was severely and irretrievably messed up (at least as far as retrieving the situation with the "Chicken Dance"), you would need the assistance of a professional auto locksmith/dealer to do a reseed and reset of the system.

There is a lot of information on YouTube and similar websites. Not all of it is correct or factual.

6. shre

shre Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did you resolve this issue? If so, how?
    I had a similar issue as my SKS functionality stopped working on the FOB that came with the car.

7. Ash Mc

Ash Mc New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, unfortunately I never did. I'm going to take it to batteries+ soon to have them program it.