1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

08 Prius stalling in rain.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by HexDarkwood, Mar 19, 2018.

1. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The Prius uses what is called COP "coil on plug", each coil sets on top of one spark plug so you have four.

This is your high voltage ignition system, no sparkplug wires. Back in the days of sparkplug wires and

distributor

caps in wet weather the high voltage spark would jump to the wrong place and the engine would not start.

I used to spray my coil, distributor cap and wires with a product called CRC and it would displace the water and

the engine would start right up. WD-40 will work too.

I have never tried it on the COP system.

zybrkat and bisco like this.
  2. HexDarkwood

HexDarkwood New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I'm currently looking for a mechanic.
    Car is not a salvage title.

3. HexDarkwood

HexDarkwood New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Sorry, I'm not ignoring anyone. I'm heading to bed soon. I've been looking for a mechanic I can afford that works with Priuses. It's still not starting. I'll try and update this thread once I get the car looked at. Thank you for the help.

bisco likes this.
  4. shazoo49

shazoo49 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Base
    You can try even cheaper code reader at least you will come to know what is there in ecu,s memory

XT1585 ?

bisco likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sometimes an auto parts store code reader will give you a clue, sometimes not.

6. HexDarkwood

HexDarkwood New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I went ahead and contacted a mechanic to have a diagnostic ran on it. I'll be towing it over there later today. I'm stuck at my house at the moment and sadly don't have the means to go and buy a code reader, though I will be looking into purchasing one for the future issues that may arise.

7. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have another thing you could quickly check.
    If there is water pooling in the 12v battery area, there is a good chance it may be leaking on the connector by the HV battery fan.
    I have seen corrosion on this plu/ harness and it will make the car shut down.

Call me and I can talk you through how to look at it.
    You will need a 10mm socket or wrench to access it. It will take less than 15 minutes.

8. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If water is also leaking down the other side of the car, there is a connector located near the trunk light that also suffers the same fate. This one can cause a code to be thrown.

9. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm pretty much posting just so I can follow this thread and hopefully see what the OP's resolution becomes.
    Tough mystery and problem however. It's' obviously moisture getting somewhere it shouldn't and causing a problem. But? Man that can come from so many places.
    I'd hope running the codes might lead to clues as to where the problem is manifesting is...
    I wish the OP luck in tracking down the problem.

padroo likes this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've heard this, and you know: is this not a significant safety issue? Is the 3 gallon stipulation even noted in the Owner's Manual? Say if you're stranded on the side of a highway, just marched multiple miles to a gas station and back, with a one gallon can on loan...

I appreciate this is veering off-topic, apologies.

padroo likes this.
  11. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    No word yet, I am curious if he has water under the spare tire. I found water under my spare tire only one time but never had a problem because of it. I also never found out where it was coming from and wasn't rusty.

12. Priusprofit

Priusprofit Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Was this issue resolved? Very curious to what the codes were or how it was resolved. I recently bought a non running prius and had one code for cylinder one ignition coil, replaced coil and car ran like new. 99% of cars will run and misfire if this happens but not the almighty prius, the motor will shut off completely. On a second note, replacing them is relatively easy. All you need is a 10mm socket, ratchet and a short extension and about 5-10 minutes. On a third note I could sell you a working used coil for $25 shipped anywhere in 48 states.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.