1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

08 Prius tapping noise increases after warming up

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by sas0611, Jun 24, 2017.

1. sas0611

sas0611 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi folks - I have an 08 prius with 136K miles on it. My wife also has an 08 with 165K on it. My engine has always been slightly more noisy than hers. Recently mine seems to have escalated in the noise level. When I start driving the noise is more refined and blends more with the overall engine and exhaust sounds. But as it warms up instead of quieting down it gets louder and then levels off and stays at that level until it is turned off. Also, as it begins to warm up the sound source is still the same but the noise begins to have more of an edge on it. It is most noticeable when accelerating between 0-30 mph and when climbing hills. When not accelerating or on highways it is not very noticeable at all. I have tried higher octane gas which didn't make any noticeable difference. I have not replaced spark plugs but it's probably time.

I had a leak in my water pump the past winter which allowed some coolant to escape. I didn't notice the leak and I am in the habit of checking the garage floor for leaks. I did experience some sloshing noises which I ignored for longer than I should have. I added a little less than 1/2 gallon of coolant and ran it in inspection mode until the sloshing noise was gone, I have since dilligently monitored the levels for over 3 months now without needing to add any coolant. The water pump has seemed to heal/sealed itself.

I suppose one of my thoughts about why the sound increases after the engine warms up is that maybe the engine is not properly cooling. I did not do any bleeding to the coolant loop because I am only now realizing from reading the forum that there is an easily accessible valve and I also figured that the absence of any sloshing noise was sign that the coolant loop was good. I am wondering if perhaps there is still air present or partially blocking the flow of coolant ? I have not seen any CEL or warnings. Would higher than normal engine temp cause pre-ignition / ping.

Could some of the increased noise be coming from the water pump. I doubt a bad water pump can make a pinging noise but wouldn't the sound it produced repeat faster as the car accelerates. I do notice slight noise localized to the pump area when listening in inspection mode. There is also pinging coming from top of engine but not more than on my wife's car.

The other points worth mentioning are that my car was in an accident in 2012. The front clip of the car was damaged requiring replacement throttle body and condenser. That may or may not be relevant. Also, I noticed 2 years later that something didn't look right under the hood. When I looked at my wife's car I realized that that black plastic cover that connects via the front radiator support was missing. Thats the cover you'd have to remove to get to the radiator fill. They auto body shop said that it was not them and another shop or dealer must have failed to put it on. I'm not sure what purpose it serves but I didn't give it much thought until since this noise began.

One last thought- if there is anything easy to pull off my wife's car that would help troubleshoot this let me know. You might have some ideas that might not cost anything to try since I do have access to another 08 prius.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Has your car ever ran low on oil?

edthefox5 likes this.
  3. sas0611

sas0611 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good question based on the fact that I'm still running the same water pump although it did seep out coolant in the past. Seemingly a while back both our cars started using oil more than they had prior to hitting 100k so I've been keeping a closer eye on them. Before this realization, I did have one change where the oil was possibly down 1.5 quarts in my car. It was kind of a shocker when they had not been losing any oil prior. I don't believe this would have caused any damage that is only now showing up however.

edthefox5 likes this.
  4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well that's probably why your engine is making a tapping noise now.

I bought a used prius that had a tapping noise, the previous owner ran the oil low. Put 50k miles on it without issue. So just keep an eye on the oil level and you probably will be ok

edthefox5 likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just another possibility: valve clearance needs adjustment? There doesn't seem to be much mention of this though, and it's shim style adjustment, which tends to stay pretty stable, which is good, because they're not easy to adjust. I think a mechanic with a stethoscope could narrow it down.

6. sas0611

sas0611 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for your response. So I take it that your prius does not see any improvement on premium gas ?

7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The g2 uses solid lifters which are pretty noisey to begin with but you are unique in that you have an exact model to compare to. There are 2 things that cause excessive noise on the top end and #1 is what Jc mentioned very poor oil maintenance and the other is a big load on the engine which is caused by the hybrid battery not contributing power. By that I mean the hybrid battery is showing signs of failure. This has become the #1 post here given the age of the G2 platform. If it's because of JC's #1 you will have to live with it as it's very expensive to replace the lifter bucket shims to mitigate the noise. Both camshafts have to come out.
    Start paying attention to the hybrid battery on the energy monitor to see if it's #2.

Good luck.

8. sas0611

sas0611 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Understood and thank you ! Would I be correct in assuming that my hybrid battery is in decent shape if SOC consistently stays 3/4 to completely charged and my mileage is mostly showing 48-52 on my typical trips which usually are 15-20 mph of mixed driving conditions ?

Also, no one has spoken to my conjecture about higher than normal engine temp since coolant replacement and water pump leak or aging spark plugs ?

I believe I read somewhere that a hot engine is conducive to premature detonation ? I think I have the coolant situation stable and check it frequently. I'm not sure this is typically what one would expect but although the level in the coolant reservoir tank fluctuates which is normal when I open up the radiator filler cap the coolant level is always about a 1/4 inch from the top of the tube. Unlike the reservoir level ... I never see it's level change. I find that to be a bit odd. Maybe air blockage below it somewhere ? Do you think there is any point in opening the radiator bleed valve to allow any trapped air to escape.

I plan to order a mini vci device to scan for codes and hopefully find something that can be going wrong that can be remedied. With that I should be able to get a read on the engine temperature. Anyway, the ones that are available on amazon are inexpensive and have a few laptops I'm not using. The software is pretty powerful. Just need to be careful not to inadvertently upload any mods to the car with it.

I'm not ready to surrender to the probability that I've damaged my engine from one low oil event which didn't trigger a warning. I will probably go ahead and put in some new Denso spark plugs and change the PCV valve in the next week or 2. Can't hurt and should be done. I'm also not ruling out any contributing noise coming from pulley and water pump but will start at the top of the engine with things I can easily do myself first.

#8 sas0611, Jun 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Coolant loss in the rad is usually from weeping water pump weep hole. Pump failing. Get a flashlight and with engine off look closely at the fan belt area for red specks of leaking coolant. Check the belt too. If over 90k miles I would change that belt. Belts only job is to turn the water pump. Belt breaks you'll never know till engine overheats
    And then it throws engine temp nag. Too late usually as in most cases the overheat damages the aluminum cylinder head and it head gasket. Very bad design.

I cannot explain why the overfill shows full and the rad shows lower. Seen that reported here many times also
    It's a mystery to me.

Best gauge to monitor engine basics is a Scangauge now the X Gauge. It's very small and convient
    And also a mini VCI from amazon.com which has Toyota techstream software and can monitor hybrid