1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

08 Prius Touring engine is not starting/Ready Mode. I have tried a lot of solutions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jpadilla5923, Jun 1, 2021.

1. Jpadilla5923

Jpadilla5923 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Hello! Could really use some help with my wife's Prius. I'm trying to do as much as I can ( I'm a DIY guy) before having to take it to a shop.

2008 Prius Touring 180k miles.

Prius engine is not starting, it's not going into Ready Mode. I've scoured the internet for a solution with no luck. For the past 6 months my wife has had a problem with it not starting up on the first few tries (sometimes first 10 tries) but eventually it starts. It's never turned off while driving. It goes into accessory mode just fine, lights aren't dim.

What I've done:
    It has a new 12 volt Battery from the dealer. Key fob has a new battery. Checked all fuses. Used an ODB2 reader and there were no codes. Checked the brake light switch ( I don't believe it's that). I've disconnected/reconnected the 12v battery. I've also disconnected the 12v and the HV battery and reconnected it, that time it turn on once, but I also got the Red Triangle. The triangle went away after a few minutes but it deterred me from trying that again haha. HV battery is half full at the moment, so my next step would be buying a Bluetooth OBD w/ the Dr. Prius app to check the HV battery.

My other thoughts are it could possibly be either the ECU module or something to do with the brakes not registering...so it doesn't turn on. There is and has always been a weird constant chirp whenever the brakes are pressed down, which I've read is a possible Vacuum Booster Leak. Although, I can hear it pressurizing after hitting the brakes. They feel normal, as in they don't hit the floor and aren't weak.
    Any help is much appreciated, thank you

2. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hello and welcome to Priuschat. So when your car won't go into "ready" mode, does everything else on the dash still come on normally? - all warning lights and the speedometer? Also, when you tested the brake light switch, you made sure that the brake lights actually turn on when you press the pedal?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Try to disconnect the 12v negative and then reconnect it. The car should be able to start at least 1 time. Turn it off and then try to start it again.

If the car doesn't start, then you should have code P0AA6 Hybrid Battery Isolation Fault. With this fault, you will only be able to start the car 1 time after you reset the car (by disconnecting the 12v battery)

4. Landon51

Landon51 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Check and see if the black/ground wire from the battery is tightly connected to the body of the car. I'm asking if you have a good ground connection... that connection might be rusty as well.

5. Jpadilla5923

Jpadilla5923 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Yes all lights on the dash come on normally. It's the weirdest thing I've disconnected and reconnected the 12v battery multiple times and it does not start afterwards.

6. Jpadilla5923

Jpadilla5923 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I just checked and when I press the brakes the brake lights do not come on!!! Grabbing a Brake Switch tomorrow. Hopefully that works, thank you everyone!

7. Jpadilla5923

Jpadilla5923 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    So my brake light switch was the wrong part and had to reorder a new one. In the meantime I decided to swap out some fuses. None of fuses were blown but weirdly enough every fuse located under the dash had as scorch marks. I swapped them all out, then my Prius turned on (Ready Mode)! It was finicky and started consistently for about 2-3 days and has now gone back to not starting.... whenever I see the brake light turn on it does start. Sadly, hasn't started all day though. Brake light switch??

8. Jpadilla5923

Jpadilla5923 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    12V battery is reading at 12.33v. 12v battery is less than a year old and is also the AGM battery made for a Prius

Attached Files:

9. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    To my eye, those fuses aren't "scorched", but are oxidized. See it on older vehicles, especially in humid areas.

If the brake switch (and lights) don't work, then the car won't get to ready mode.

You would have to measure voltage into and out of the brake switch to confirm that it's bad. Or just replace it and see if that fixes it.