1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

08 Won't start after replacing 12v battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Tia Anderson, Jul 27, 2017.

1. Tia Anderson

Tia Anderson New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2008 sat for a couple of weeks due to a suspension issue that I'm getting fixed. When I went to unlock, the fob didn't work so I instantly knew the 12v was dead and attempted to jump it from the back of the car with my jumper box. After that I got the beeping of the key having been inserted and the door ajar light on and the little red key light flashing. I took the battery to O'Reilly and they changed it overnight telling me that it was fine when I picked it up. I get it back and reconnected and same deal. I then took the battery to AutoZone who's machine said it was bad. I purchased another and connected it with the very same result. I put my foot on the break and push the power button. The power button LED then turns green, and that is it. No noise or anything else. I then (while keeping my foot on the break still), push the power button again. This time the power button LED turns orange, and the check engine light on the dash turns on. No other lights are on at this point. The main display doesn't come on, nor does the interior lights work, or anything else for that matter. The only thing functioning from inside are those 3 lights and the beeping. I turned the car off and we just figure it needs more time to charge. So we give it a few more minutes of charging and still the same thing. At this point I don't know what to do... Not even the red triangle of death?!?!? All I can think of is that one of the fuses could be blown? Where do I start? I really can't afford to take it to the dealership on top of the $200 battery I just bought. I would really appreciate any help Thanks!!

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. When you attempted to jumpstart the car, how likely is it that you reversed the polarity of the battery cables?
    2. Based upon your description, this sounds likely to me. Therefore:
    3. Check for blown fuses. In particular check the 15A DOME and 10A ETCS fuses. Check means that you do not just rely upon visual inspection, but use a digital multimeter to measure resistance across each fuse. Also, look at the fusible link assembly which is a 5" long plastic box with clear cover, located in the main relay/fuse box next to the inverter. You are looking for a blown link at the 100A DC/DC position.
    4. If you found blown fuses per #3, then it is highly likely you botched the jumpstart. In that case you need to inspect for other blown fuses besides those listed in #3.
    5. Once you are 100% sure that no blown fuses exist, try to make the Prius READY. If you cannot, then tow the car to your local Toyota dealer for assistance. It may be necessary to replace the inverter which is easily damaged with a botched jumpstart.
    6. Press HARD on the brake pedal while you are trying to make the Prius READY.

Good luck.

3. Tia Anderson

Tia Anderson New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok so I found that the fusible assembly was blown and replaced that. The car started and went about 1/8 mile and the triangle of death turned on so I parked it again. The motor shut off and now I can't get it back into ready again, but this time all of the dash lights are on and the radio and display above it worked. On the Energy screen, I saw that the hybrid battery level looked low (1 purple bar) and after turning it off, disconnecting the service plug and the battery and then reconnecting then I pressed the power button again and this time watched the 1 purple bar raise to about half way (the way it looked when the car was turning on properly) and blue bars instead of purple. I tried starting it again and it just never goes into ready! I press the button and it never turns green, just goes straight to orange. Strangest part about it? Ever since it shut off and didn't start again there is no triangle of death! Tried with both keys which I replaced the battery in less than 3 months ago and haven't used one of them (spare). Is it possible that my hybrid battery needs charged?

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did you inspect all fuses? Also look at AM2 in particular.

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Check that you've locked the orange service plug properly by pushing downward as your final step. Disconnect the 12v and reset the car.

I'm suspecting your hv battery might have issues, should get that checked

edthefox5 likes this.
  6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep.

I see in a few posts people are now pulling the hybrid battery service plug in order to reset something and like most people just make it worse.

Pulling the orange service plug does nothing. There is no resetting the hybrid battery. Leave the orange service plug alone.

7. Sam S

Sam S New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    after replacing 12v batter, 2 key fob batteries, checking all fuses, resetting and reprogramming Hybrid ECU, mine ended up being the hybrid battery .

8. Mygirlsprius21

Mygirlsprius21 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hey I got a code check and said battery was bad so I bought new battery and while unconnected the battery I accidentally touched a metal plate on the panasonic eudct03 supply assy brake control power and sparks flew and now my car won't start so I figured I'd replace the battery and the panasonic eudct03 supply assy brake control power but car won't start dash won't come up nothing works but the headlights are on from when you connect the new battery till when you disconnect the new battery

9. Mygirlsprius21

Mygirlsprius21 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Someone please help me with this issue I'm all out of thoughts so mentally drained