1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

09 119k, front end noises, much worse over bumps with brakes pressed. Also engine vibration.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by NavyPDX, Nov 25, 2019.

1. NavyPDX

NavyPDX New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hello Everyone,

I've got an 09 with 119k miles. Front end noises. Significantly worse over bumps when brake is pressed. I don't hear it at all going 35 over a speed bump without the brake pressed.

I've changed all four struts and front sway links and sway bar bushing. Local brake shop said something on my calipers might need to be changed but they said it wasn't urgent, I cant tell. Here's a video of me stopping and going in my driveway.

3k miles ago the lower engine torque mount was bad and caused squeaks every time the brake was released and EV was pushing force. Here's a video of the sound it was making.

And what it was doing when moved back and forth by hand. Note the engine rocking.

It was replaced by the dealer. Shouldn't all three mounts be replaced at once? Here's a video I took of engine movement after it was replaced. Note 1:36 in the video and the 10 seconds after. Isn't that a lot of movement?

No sound changes with new struts or sway link bars. I also changed spark plugs to the OEM Denso Iridium. Ride is stiffer but not as wobbly as it was before. When I did do the sway link bars it clunked at first on turns until they were re-tightened.That's not the same sound I'm getting now.

Any obvious thing it could be? What should I check next? I'm trying to get a video of the sound while driving but it is especially difficult.

Thanks in advance.
    Scott.

#1 NavyPDX, Nov 25, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
  2. NavyPDX

NavyPDX New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    "That's the same sound I'm getting now."

NOT*

3. NavyPDX

NavyPDX New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  4. mubex

mubex Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Fixed using Genuine Toyota 17451-21060 Exhaust Pipe Gasket

5. nancytheprius

nancytheprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My 06 makes this exact noise/movement every once in awhile when shutting off too.

Can you clarify if that is what what this fixed?