1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

'09 parked for 1 year, keyfob won't work. 12V battery issue?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Joseph C, Feb 15, 2022.

1. Joseph C

Joseph C Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I have a 2009 Prius that has been parked at a family member's driveway for about 1 year and 2 months, much of it in cold winter weather. They were able to turn it on and re-park it for a few months, but eventually it stopped responding to the keyfob unlock (keyfob battery is brand new). No one can enter the car because my mechanical key has never worked (I suspect the keyfob + mechanical key is not Toyota original, as there is no logo on it, it's just all black. I suspect it's simply a replacement from Amazon).

I had the car inspected by Toyota in 2020 and they told me the 12V battery would need to be replaced at some point.

I'll be heading over there in one week to try to get it up and running.

Would you all be able to tell what you suspect might be the issue? I assume my first order will be to get a tow truck to get the door open, then we'll attempt to boost the car and see if it starts.

Thank you!

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  3. Joseph C

Joseph C Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hey there! The mechanical key sadly has never worked since buying it from previous owner. I suspect the keyfob + mechanical key were bought off Amazon.

Amazingly, also, I have never been also to open from inside using mechanical latch. Good times.

4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can buy a replacement mechanical key and matching socket from Toyota for a relatively decent price if you look around. As for getting the rear latch open keep trying, it's confusing at first and if latch is broken you can by a replacement at a junk yard for $20. As I'm sure you're starting to realize having a mechanical key and a mechanical rear hatch latch are not something you want to live with out. And you still don't need a tow truck, you just need one of these and a coat hanger or similar tool to unlock and open the door: 300 lb. Air Wedge and Leveling Tool