1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

09 prius curb smack, replaced bent control arm, caster&camber out.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by GetToThePrius, Mar 5, 2018.

1. GetToThePrius

GetToThePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I hit a curb, bent control arm and stabilizer link visually. Alignment spec sheet according to Firestone says that the camber and caster is off because the strut is bent. Is this indeed true? Hope that doesn't mean strut tower too.. I replaced control arm thinking I can smack the stabilizer link straight with a hammer later.
    My question is if the alignment spec sheet indeed says struts got to be replaced because one is bent, what is deemed the best to pair with Tanabe strut brace if I choose to purchase one later on? I also live in Michigan, drive Uber, and we have an unbelievable amount of potholes that will throw your car into a pole or a ditch so need strut recommendations based on that.. Ride quality and comfort is important as well as having a 400 pound guy in my passenger seat randomly and my prius being able to handle it no problem. I'm half that weight. Steering wheel is off center, but drives straight if I don't correct to center. If I do, I'll end up going left pretty good. But if I let it go to its natural position a little to the right it drives pretty darn straight. I've seen a few posts about tanabe strut tower brace, and skid plate and struts but can't find the post about it all in one.. Thanks for your input!

#1 GetToThePrius, Mar 5, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  2. M in KC

M in KC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Your strut is likely toast. Your strut tower unless you really did some damage is probably fine. My bride bounced our Maxima off a curb in front of me one day and the strut failed shortly there after. Your align is out of adjustment, you will most likely need a strut and I wouldn't be surprised if you need an inner or outer tie rod end.

Again my bumper car driving bride somehow bounced our gen 2 Prius off something hard enough to bend the inner tie rod. Mind you this is 3/4" diameter solid steel it just doesn't bend by itself. I still have never got a straight answer there, but oh well that's my struggle not yours. My point is our steering wheel was cocked to the left and the only fix was a new inner tie rod end. You most likely need more new parts. If your strut is damaged you will need two new ones as normally they are replaced in pairs.

I would suggest taking it to another shop to see if they confirm the same response. And I wouldn't encourage you to attempt to hammer your sway bar link straight just replace it.

If you need struts that becomes a fun topic around these parts. Its probably best to buy oem strut cartridges to maintain original ride quality. Others recommend KYB and a distant few Monroe. Unless you are autoxrossing your Pri when not shuttling customers via Uber you don't need a strut tower brace nor a skid plate. Otherwise you would be one of the most exciting Uber drivers I have ever experienced and I have had a couple of fun ones for sure.

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Confusing post. Op says he bent the control arm and stab linkthen lots of talk about the strut.
    Nothing will be in geometry with a bent control arm and stab link. Not sure why you bothered getting the alignment checked
    With a visually bent lca. Waste of $75.

Get the lca and link replaced and go from there. New strut won’t fix that,

M in KC likes this.
  4. GetToThePrius

GetToThePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I replaced lca, and strut. Strut was bent. Lca was bent. Lca I replaced with aftermarket and it wasnt correct spec. Caster was off. Replaced with dealer lca and was mostly perfect. 20180308_172842.jpg 20180315_182552.jpg

valde3 likes this.