1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

09 Prius is included with the gas pedal recall now

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by car2lvr, Apr 23, 2010.

1. car2lvr

car2lvr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just got back from the dealer for oil change and my service advisor told me that they received the notice last week that my 09 prius is cover with the gas pedal replacement.

2. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    They're going to cut it for you. All second gens will get the pedal cut if you let them. It has nothing to do with the "normal cars" (non-hybrid) recalls due to the pedal assemblies made in North America. All Prius are made in Japan, and got the Japanese non-sticking pedal assembly.

3. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yep, my '08 just had the pedal recall and that is fixed. The dealer also installed anchors on my carpet to hold them in place.

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    As stated above, it's not really a "fix", they just cut the pedal to make it shorter, presumably allowing you to stack even more floor mats on top of each other before the pedal will catch.

Tom

5. Prius101

Prius101 Paid off Prius Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just got mine done. Received an e-mail about it and took it in. The actually replaced my all-weather mats and took about 2 hours to pull the pedal, shorten it, and put it back in the car. Oh, yeah, they did wash it for me also!

6. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll be letting them cut my gas pedal, it really needs it ... only 2" clearance ...

050705 134.jpg

050705 135.jpg

Yeah right.

Maybe they should just eliminate the pedal so there's no chance it could get caught by any mats put in the car. :rolleyes:

7. Tom Banjo

Tom Banjo New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I got a recall notice today for my 2008 for the mats and the pedal.

8. howardbc

howardbc Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Electronics fix for sudden acceleration?

I too got the recall notice for my 2008. I still say the floor mat excuse is very suspicious. I will take my car in to have the pedal "modified," but I wonder if they are also going to make some sort of electronics fix. I hope so.

9. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Re: Electronics fix for sudden acceleration?

No electronics or software fix.

10. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I fixed my floor mat recall problem by throwing the notice in the trash.

Easy as pie.

1 person likes this.
  11. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Your dealer should have installed anchors when it first delivered the car to you. His bad.

I just got the cut-the-gas-pedal recall notice too for my 2007. I'm not going to bring my car back to the dealer for this nonsense.

1 person likes this.
  12. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My dealership called me and I also received the recall letter from Toyota. I will not be having them cut my gas pedal for no reason. There is no way the current floor mat with clips in place can get stuck under the gas pedal.

13. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    +1

This whole thing about trimming the gas pedal is retarded, my pictures prove it, unless some gas pedals had a different shape, but I doubt it. Otherwise they are mutilating an OEM part.

There is 0% chance the pedal will get stuck on bare carpet with no mats, so only need to place mats that fit. Trimming the gas pedal seems ridiculous.

14. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    IIRC, the anchors came in a little plastic bag attached to the driver's floor mat. Pop them in the floorboard, install mats, done.

15. fintonissimo

fintonissimo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with the many people who have decided that this recall is not necessary and would rather not have it done. However, when I was recently in for an oil change, the dealer tried to tell me I would have to have it done at some point. They said it would be illegal for me to someday sell the car to somebody unless the recall was taken care of.

Additionally, is there any risk insurance-wise by avoiding this recall? For instance, can an insurer fail to cover me if I get in an accident and they discover that I haven't had the work done? I really think it is a stupid recall, and am hoping somebody can reassure me that the scenarios I've just mentioned are not anything to be concerned about!

1 person likes this.
  16. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I recommend that you consult the Illinois state vehicle code, and see if there are any provisions that require a vehicle owner to apply all mandatory recalls before selling the vehicle to someone else. (I doubt that such provisions will exist.)

If you get into an accident because of unintended acceleration attributed to an accelerator pedal stuck to the floor mat, then you might have a problem. Hopefully by now you are aware of the various workarounds, like shifting into N, pressing the POWER button for 3+ seconds, and depressing the brake pedal firmly until the car stops. You'll need to assess your vehicle and its floor mats, and decide for yourself whether that is a problem worthy of your concern or not.

17. davidj08

davidj08 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    We didn't go for the fix either because of one specific sentence in the recall letter. It reads: "Toyota has determined that this defect does not exist in vehicles in which the driver side floor mat is compatible with the vehicle and properly secured." When I called Toyota Motor Sales in Torrance about the meaning of this sentence, they told me that if you have a compatible floor mat which is secured, you don't have to get the fix. However Toyota "recommends" you get it. I was also told that to get the replacement accelerator pedal I must first go through the modification of the original pedal and be dissatisfied with it. I cannot insist on the replacement pedal as the first step. Since we use a factory floor mat, have it secured, and don't stack floor mats we decided to forego the fix.

We too, have been concerned that if we trade it in or sell it outright some subsequent owner might start piling floormats or otherwise create a situation in which pedal entrapment could occur. My view is that if we trade it in, the dealer will ensure the pedal is fixed before reselling it. If we sell it outright, we can advise the purchaser who can make his own decision as to getting it fixed or leaving it alone.

18. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    +1

I wouldn't mind having a new accelerator pedal installed, but I have no interest in seeing the original pedal hacked-up and reinstalled.

19. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good luck getting a new one..... :mad:

20. fintonissimo

fintonissimo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just recently called the Illinois department of motor vehicles regarding my question about whether or not the recall was mandatory. They in turn connected me with the Illinois state police. They basically told me that if I'm honest and advise/tell a prospective buyer of the car about the recall, there would be no problem legally. I would have to state that the car is sold "As is". If I don't sell it, there is no problem unless I am involved in an accident where the cause is related to unintended acceleration.

The more I think about it, maybe I should just do it anyway. It's free, and I don't care what the pedal looks like so much. I don't intend on selling the car anytime soon, but if I did, potential buyers that are uninformed would probably worry about the pedal issue. It's just irritating that this would be the only reason for me to have the work performed!