1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

0A78, 0A94, and P0A08

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Don402, Dec 25, 2020.

1. Don402

Don402 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Frown face

2006 Prius

Have the codes: 0A78, 0A94, and P0A08.

I got these codes a few weeks ago and replaced the inverter and coolant pump. Only drove the car a handful of times since fixing and everything seamed to be working well.

Daughter took off this morning. 5° weather at the time. All the CEL's and same codes came back.

Think my first check will be to make sure there isn't air in the coolant line.

Any other ideas? Should I be looking at the 12v system?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How many miles on the vehicle?

Very unlikely that the 12v battery is the issue, have you tried measuring the voltage at the jump points under the hood?

Both P0A78/P0A94 have 'quite a few' related subcodes (aka INFs / detailed codes), which reader are you using to retrieve the DTCs?

Knowing the associated INF (subcode) for a DTC may help diagnose and potentially fix in a timely fashion.

Don402 likes this.
  3. Don402

Don402 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I'm using a bluetooth reader that connects whatever all you throw at it. Are there any apps that can read the sub codes or will I need to find someone with a better reader?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Many DIY enthusiasts like to usa a $20 'mini-vci cable' and techstream (dealer technician software) installed on a windows device.

There are other OBD2 devices that are able to read the DTCs and any associated subcodes, but they would cost significantly more.

Best to pick up a 'mini-vci' cable, unless you know someone with a high end scanner that can read toyota hybrid DTCs/INFs (detailed codes), or have an interest in taking it to a dealer for an OBD2 scan (one of my local dealers does that for free, and your mileage may vary at around $100 and up), which can get expensive quickly if you ever need to scan the vehicle again in the future.