1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured 0W-16 Oil coming

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by fotomoto, Sep 11, 2017.

1. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Come to find out 0W-16 has been around for a while, mainly in Japan, but its use in the Camry and Camry hybrid is the first I've heard of it. : The engine is a 2.5-liter inline four that has variable valve timing, runs on the Atkinson cycle, and has a near-diesel 14.0:1 compression ratio. It also uses a new super lightweight 0w16 grade oil that further reduces internal friction and losses.

Here's an interesting Q&A with a couple of Japanese "oil guys" about this spec: The Skinny on OW-16 Oil - National Oil & Lube News

So we tested a Honda Fit on a dynamometer. The 0W-16 showed an improvement in fuel economy by 2 percent when compared to 0W-20.

NOLN: What are some of the concerns about 0W-16 oils?
    Miyamoto: [Some may be worried that] lowering viscosity might cause increased wear or a pressure issue.
    Takahashi: Those were concerns with having such a low viscosity oil, but with more than 15 years of background in 0W-16 oil, we are able to address those issues and create a benefit of increasing fuel efficiency, when compared to 0W-20 oil.

Spindifferent likes this.
  2. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    I hope they beefed up the piston rings. Heck, many already question the sanity of using 0w20 for long term viability!

3. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    No thanks...I already bumped my 2010 and 2015 to 5w30...and "still" use 5,000 mile OCI w/filter.

Aaron Vitolins and JC91006 like this.
  4. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Out of curiosity what ever happened to the single 0 weight Mobil 1 synthetic that used to be sold?

5. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I read this yesterday being used on the new Camry. I didn't realize 0w16 has been out for awhile. I may try this out on my PiP at the 150k OCI if it isn't too expensive. No more warranty after that anyway. I drive long distances where it neither gets too hot nor too cold.

Edit
    It isn't too expensive. I'll be due for my 150k OCI, April of next year.

#5 mmmodem, Sep 11, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Who was even buying it? It couldn't be used in a modern car for same reasons as a 30 weight oil; it needs the temperature viscosity modifiers in order to provide the same protections on start up and at operating temperature.

That's around twice as much as 0w20 Mobil One. I'll wait until it becomes more common.

Edit: OP article states that 0w8 is starting to be used in Japan.

#6 Trollbait, Sep 11, 2017
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm just thinking, if this thread has legs, lasts a few years, it'll be interesting how it goes. 0W20 was a thin outlier when it was introduced?

8. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I do the exact same thing! No fuel economy loss, and don't feel as bad when I have to floor the accelerator :)

Raytheeagle likes this.
  9. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I used it in several 80's and 90's vehicles during the down to 40 below winter months .

From what I remember it was actually a stronger mix of oil than 0w20 and I never had any problems. Engine sounded completely normal.

The diesel I used it in went to 438,000 miles and went driving to the junkyard.

But I did remove said oil when it got into the 50's, usually only had 4,000 miles on it depending on how busy I was.

10. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The actual viscosity at operating temp of a xw20 isn't that far from what the thinnest xw30 could be. Cold, the difference is bigger for the 0 to 5 half, but it is still thicker than the warmed up oil.

Straight oil could called a stronger mix of oil because it doesn't have those viscosity modifiers, but without them, the oil won't be doing its job at start up or when warmed up.

A straight oil that is the right viscosity at operating temperatures is going to be too thick to get pumped everywhere it is needed while it is cold. Cold 0w20 is already thicker when cold. It will be even thicker if it was a straight 20 oil. I've used old motor oil for the chainsaw bar during the winter, because the straight 30 weight flows like honey at those temps. When the right viscosity of the cold, it will be too thin when warmed up.

Not having problems, and not having extra wear aren't the same thing.

#10 Trollbait, Sep 11, 2017
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  11. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Please understand that I see these are entirely different:
    • wheel bearing grease
    • transmission oil (ATF fluid if you wish)
    • engine oil
    WHEEL BEARING GREASE

Embedded in the wheel bearings, few are even aware, much less able to do anything about it. IMHO, the right answer is pressurized, lubricants to the wheel bearings but then ... I'm a little strange in this ares.

TRANSMISSION OIL

At least we can get the initial wear material out of the gears.

ENGINE OIL

Well this is one area where I prefer not of get involved. IMHO, change in the Spring and Fall and the problem is solved. Absent a well controlled test, use the lightest viscosity used in similar engines makes sense because our cars have low duty cycles.

Bob Wilson

12. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    That's a little high compared to your normal high quality oil choices:whistle:.

That's almost Redline territory (y).

13. mmmodem

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I know, it's 3x what I normally pay for oil but hey, I'm also a curious human being. I embraced 5w30 in the 90's when everyone said it was too thin. I embraced 5w20 in the 00's when everyone said it was too thin. I embraced 0w20 in the 10's when people said it was too thin. There's apparently a trend here. How low can it go??? Let's find out!

14. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Just keep an eye on the dipstick frequently and you'll find out(y).

sorka and mmmodem like this.
  15. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Takahashi: We are one of the only suppliers at this point that have 0W-8 oil, but we aren’t stopping there. Be looking for even lower viscosities to come.

mmmodem likes this.
  16. mmmodem

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Just a thought. Is 0w0 or just plain 0 = water? That's the limit then? Can it get more viscous than water?

17. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    My only "data point" with zero weight oil comes from a friend who use to run an indycar team and that's what they used but those engines only need to last for a few hours. :eek:

mmmodem likes this.
  18. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Air ?

mmmodem likes this.
  19. milkman44

milkman44 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What is the viscosity of a 50:1 2 stroke mix, pistons and bearings seem to do fine with that?:confused:

20. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Here is a brief lesson on oil viscosities.

First, the viscosity of water is higher than zero.
    [​IMG]

Second, the Xw-XX number on the label we are discussing is just the viscosity rating, and is not the actual, measured viscosity of the oil. Each rating number refers to a range of viscosities.
    [​IMG]
    A reason for having these ratings is seen in the overlap of gear and motor oil in the chart. An example bottle of each can have the same viscosity, but they are formulated for different jobs with different temperature resistance and additives. If they had the actual viscosity on the label, they might accidently be used in the wrong place.

Finally, here is a chart showing how the viscosity changes with temperature, and why you shouldn't use straight weight oils in a car engine.
    [​IMG]
    You can find the actual viscosities for a motor oil at the manufacturer's site. The tests for cold and hot viscosity are done at 40C and 100C.