1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

0W-40 oil, is it time?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Bay Stater, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Also if a car engine doesn't reach it's optimal operating temp on a regular basis such as daily/constant short drive commute, fuel sprayed from the injectors that's not fully combusted will stay on to of pistons then seep pass the pistons causing oil dilution in the crank case i.e. 2017& 2018 honda CRV. Their oil dilution is posted all over youtube.

Bay Stater and Raytheeagle like this.
  2. suchshutterfly

suchshutterfly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I came here looking for information about oil to run in my 2012 Prius. I run for 45 minutes at a time under high load between 70-90mph five days a week. Just ordered 2 gallons from Walmart online. Thank you for the recommendation.

Bay Stater and Grit like this.
  3. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Glad to help. Most cost saving method is wait for the monthly ebay 15% off of any purchase $75 coupon. Use the coupon to buy the gallon and the single quart pack. If you want to go with 10,000 mi OCI safely, avoid the toyota filter and go with the mobil 1 M1C-154A filter. It's spec'd to go up to 20,000 miles, but I wouldn't put money on it to go pass w/12,000 hwy miles. Hope youre not an engine oil compulsive inspector and check it every other day like me :ROFLMAO:

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Do you guys every think about all the delivery trucks tearing around, the jets criss-crossing the country with your orders, the endless stream of oil-contaminated bottles going into the recycle stream, or straight to the dump.

Guess I'm clucking, but meh: I'll just go down to my dealership, and say fill-er-up:

IMG_9759.JPG
    (Used to be $4.50 (CDN) per liter, for bulk Toyota 0W20. Now up to $4.90, still pretty trivial, even with my 6 monthly oil change schedule.)

Bay Stater likes this.
  5. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Mendel, if that happens, I'll contact paypal or ebay and they'll refund my money back including shipping if there's enough evidence that something fishy or sketchy happened to my order. 3 weeks ago an annual music digital subscription I purchase in w/paypal expired after just 4 months, the ebay seller never responded back. I called paypal and they refunded me the entire purchase after paypal didn't hear back from the seller themselves after 11 days.

As for bulk oil purchase, with the barrels that dealers sell oil in, they may have refilled with another type of oil or even mix them when it gets low. They don't even dispense the right type of oil into crankcases on a regular basis, therefore I wouldn't trust them dispensing it into my own portable oil bucket. With more oil changes due to 100 miles round trip work days, there's a greater chance they hand me another type of oil :LOL:

Bay Stater, RMB and Raytheeagle like this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, trust. Because we lack that, all these bottles keep going into the landfills.

7. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Meh, get off my lawn:p.

Ever walk through Wal Mart or a super market? If I don’t buy the product, someone else will;).

Do I do the responsible disposal path: yes.

Do I encourage others to do the same: yes.

Does everyone listen or do the right thing: no

Is some chlorine in the gene pool needed from time time: yes

I buy in 5 quarts and reduce the bottles but buying from the dealer a quart at a time, doesn’t seem like the right thing to do as they had to get it shipped similar to how it gets shipped to my door;).

So unless we all have the manufacturer from cradle to grave right next to us, infrastructure costs in all forms will remain:cool:.

Keep channeling the new avatar(y).

Grit, Bay Stater and RMB like this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Next thing you young'uns will be wanting buy your gas in bottles, mark my words.

9. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Meh, just my fuel injector cleaner:p.

Grit, Bay Stater, RMB and 1 other person like this.
  10. suchshutterfly

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I love a good deal. I used walmart online with 4% off Ebates, which made it cost less than amazon but not by much! I believe eBay has Ebates 2% so ... even better

I'm coming from a VW TDI ALH engine so ... :cool:

Grit likes this.
  11. Bay Stater

Bay Stater Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    How long have you been using Redline 0W-20? Was the oil filter used the same type as with the Mobil 1 AFE? Thanks.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  12. Bay Stater

Bay Stater Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Agreed! That's what I did. (y)

13. Bay Stater

Bay Stater Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would hope not! I recycle the used oil in the 5 quart containers at Walmart. Any loose oil containers get recycled along with other plastic bottles through normal recycling channels.;)

Raytheeagle likes this.
  14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Well, it's tricky. Each bottle has a tablespoon or two of motor oil still. To recycle them they need to be shredded, steamed and run through special centrifuge to separate. Mostly I think they don't do this, regardless of where you deposit them they go to the dump.

Maybe the best bet is to drop them off at a specified oil recycler, where they've got barrels full of the old bottles. Those guys are hopefully promoting bulk oil changes, but still end up with a lot of bottles. They are most likely to be delivering the used bottles to a place where the kosher extraction of the oil is done.

Motor Oil Container Reycling

It's the single-use container that's the culprit, with motor oil, bottled water, take-out food, and so on. Where ever possible, if you can side-step this, it's good. I have a single 10 liter heavy-duty gas can I get my (bulk) oil in, and a 5 liter graduated pitcher for measuring it out. Neither container is every flushed or wiped out, just drained carefully, then covered so it doesn't attract dust.

CR94 and Bay Stater like this.
  15. suchshutterfly

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just burned through five quarts of Toyota 0W20 in about 4000 miles. That stuff was dark and stinky when it came out. I'm afraid it isn't up to my use specs. Trust me, if I could do what I do on bulk oil, I would. Thanks for the information about the oil recycling programs. I'll check for those in NJ AND if Redline works out I'll get a 55 gal drum.

Bay Stater likes this.