1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured 1,000,000 e-rickshaws in India and more BEVs to come

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Robert Holt, Aug 22, 2019.

1. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My dad was a mechanical engineer and a rail buff with a side interest in trolley. So overhead was second nature to me growing up.
    Thanks for the great pics Robert, it's nice to get a look at other places with great ideas for mass transit and especially places I'd love to visit one of these days. I used to dream of iifeguard on the ocean in the summer and ski instructor at Whistler in the winter when I was a youngster. I never got my instructor cert though and that kinda sorta put the kibosh on those plans and haven't guarded since my sophomore run at Smiths Point county on Fire Island.

Robert Holt likes this.
  2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  3. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Great find. thanks. The portrait reminds me a bit of either Kirk McKusick (BSD) or Ray Manzarek (The Doors [keyboards])
    I wonder how much heat waste there is in that prius conversion system? I only thought momentarily about the size of that trolley pole, for obvious reasons. (Obvious to me anyways at 600v x 400a on the S line. Besides the support needed in that poor prius' roof.
    I one tried soft racks with a 7' surfboard on top of the PIP at highway speed. After about 100 miles of vibration I loaded the racks and surfboard inside the PIP.

4. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The SF cable cars are powered by electric motors as well. One motor powers an entire line with many cars on it. On one hand it must be very efficient because none of the cars have any motors on them to haul around. Of course the one big motor pulls a single cable, mechanically, up and down and all around so there must be some big frictional losses.
    One 380 kw motor can power 10-20 cable cars on one line at a time...at 9.5 mph.
    One Tesla Model 3 is about 180 to 200 kw, IIRC...but is much faster

Mike

Robert Holt likes this.
  5. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thanks 3Prius, I was told as a child how the cable cars grab the underground cable, although not about the motor that is used to power the cable. The wattage of the Model 3 motor(s) is gravy on the potatoes.

I have more natural science propensities than either my older brother or dad whom (sill is/was respectively), both more mechanically inclined.

I'm in possession of several cases of photographic slides, mostly of rail and trolley from last century here in US and some other countries was well. I even found a slide or two of the relative I was named after who lived most of his adult life in the San Fran area.

I'll have to double check one of these days, to see if there are any slides of rail, trolley or rickshaws from India in the collection.