1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1/3 million miles, 2 clutches slipping

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by SolarSteward, Jun 2, 2014.

1. SolarSteward

SolarSteward New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We passed 333,333 last week on our 01 Prius and shortly thereafter, as best I can tell, the AC clutch and the engine torque limiting clutch both slipped as I was accelerating up a short hill on a hot day in Alabama. Both issues have been happening for a month or so.
    I installed a thinner washer in the AC clutch assembly as detailed on this forum (thanks), and that seems to be better, though the AC still shuts down and the light flashes if I switch it on while accelerating hard. If the AC continues to shut down I'll buy the shim washers from Toyota and go 1 step thinner.
    My main concern is is the torque limiter. I did not even know there was a clutch in the car, but apparently there is between the engine and transmission to limit the torque in case something goes wrong. We have had a bit of an oil leak for years, and it looks like it could be from the main seal. This could be wetting the clutch with oil and making it slippery. So far all we get is Hybrid System Warning displays which usually last for about a day. Code P3120-241. No obvious decrease in performance. It may cost $1,500-$2,000 for our mechanic to pull the engine and transmission and replace the main seal and clutch. His shop just got blown away in a tornado (in the middle of the night when no one was there, and many of the tools survived). It will be a couple of months before he is back in business and can do the work.
    Two Questions:
    1. Are we likely to get stranded on the highway due to a slipping torque limiter, and if so how soon and will we have any other warning this is about to occur. (I'm considering a 1,100 mile trip on inter-states with some considerable hills)
    2. Is it worth putting $2k in repairs in a Prius with 333k miles. (We replaced the traction battery at 250,000.

Thanks for any help

bwilson4web likes this.
  2. messenger

messenger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If the clutch is oil soaked and already slipping it would not be reliable. On long hills it's going to over heat and then you're stuck.

I'd sell the battery and inverter out of the car and call it a day if it were mine or look for a lower miles classic and use it for parts.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

We are neighbors and have chatted briefly about this:
    Driving 1,100 miles in a 13 year old car with 333,000 miles is an adventure. I have done similar trips in the past but with tools and expectations that the trip may involve an on-the-road repair. Pay me now or pay me later, older cars replace payments with payments of another kind, repairs. So in 1972, I drove from Coffeyville KS to Fond Du Lac WI to San Francisco CA to Las Angles CA in 1963 VW MicroBus. But I also carried spare parts, tool box, and manual. So in Salt Lake City, I parked in an RV ground, removed a failing alternator, took a City bus to an alternator shop, and the next day, picked it up and put it back in. But a Prius is a little more difficult to repair on the road, especially if it requires removing the engine to replace the torque limiter.

If you can locate a clueful shop at the destination or near the route, see if you can negotiate a repair visit. But as a fall-back, rent something (aka., Enterprise) to do the trip and leave the car at a local shop to repair. This widens the range of repair shops.

The advantage of a local repair is sometimes you can find a way to 'work-share' the repair. There are 'rent-a-bay' shops that allow owner engine swaps with the heavy tools needed to do the job. In this case, schedule one day to remove, half-a-day to repair, and; one day to reinstall. So when I returned from overseas, I found the engine was burned out and rebuilt it in a week. Other than using a bad case sealant, it worked and I drove it until it could no longer steer or stop safely.
    Find another 2 x $2k car that gets 2001 mileage or $4k for 2001 Prius equivalent mileage. But older cars are unreliable so our 2003 Prius has:
    • replacement inverter water pump - with 160,000 miles, I occasionally hear to pump rubbing sound
    • need to replace radiator coolant - never been replaced
    • probably time to replace the spark plugs, again, and PVC valve
    But our second car is a 2010 Prius that just passed 50,000 miles. That is the car we use for long distance, highway trips.

Bob Wilson

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

I got a call from the OP who just bought a 2008 Prius and is very happy. The only problem, just one key fob.

I notice there are several threads about getting a second key fob ranging from ~$400 for a dealer unit(???), an SKS versus ordinary, to requiring the same model year. Dealing with NHW20 key fobs is not something I have any expertise. Would you'll have a recommendation one which thread is factually accurate?

FYI, the OP bought the Chinese miniVCI but hasn't worked on getting the software up and running. Would that be part of the solution?

Thanks,
    Bob Wilson

5. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    SFO likes this.