1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1/3 qt. oil consumed after 5.5k miles

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by rocketrob, May 21, 2013.

1. rocketrob

rocketrob Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would be ecstatic if I got >300K miles out of my Prius. I also monitor RPMs using scangauge and tend to ease back if above 4,000 rpm. I go one step further and usually keep to <3,000 rpm in city driving.

The way I see it, the combustion engine is the thing that wears out and gives people reason to need a new car. (for pragmatic people, that is). One big design advantage of hybrid drivetrains is reduced engine wear. As you know, this is achieved in part by (1) the engine shuts off whenever possible, (2) RPMs are lowered from load sharing with the electric motor, (3) Atkinson is lower compression.

Besides burning oil after (an impressive) 337K miles, are there other systems/components that are failing? Would you consider replacing the engine to keep her going until 600K miles?

2. rocketrob

rocketrob Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What are your driving habits? City vs. Freeway?

3. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Things haven't really changed, there were always some makes/models/engines that didn't burn a noticeable amount of oil and some that did. People simply need to understand that a small amount of oil consumption is a normal thing for many engines as they start to age, and it doesn't mean that they're functioning incorrectly.

The trend to use thinner oils may contribute a little bit toward higher oil consumption. On the other hand however, lubricants have generally got better so that should tend to counter that factor. Overall, I don't think we're seeing any particular problem with engine longevity on modern cars, quite the opposite. And this includes the Prius.

4. boppo

boppo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Rocketrob, no that I am retired I would say 50 50.