1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1.5 cents per mile instead of gasoline tax

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, May 21, 2015.

1. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes I care about air quality and fuel efficient vehicle. I disagree that the tax code is the correct tool to effect those items. I also disagree that a switch from a fuel tax to a mileage tax would have any measureable effect on the type of vehicles people choose to drive. The operating expenses dwarf the tiny difference in taxes.

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The connection is only distinct in regards to CO2 emissions. For the others it isn't as clear. Lean burn improves fuel economy and increases the levels of NOx produced, but better emission control equipment can take care of the NOx.

Agree about the difference in fuel and mileage taxes having much impact on people.

3. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    There is certainly support for these statements. Regulations are essential for pollution control, not taxes. However, taxes will always have a powerful effect on choices and behaviors. Having tax motivations (not to be confused with tax incentives) conflicting with regulation goals is government incompetence.

The part I obviously continue to stress is the concept of government expenditures on roads and such being determined by fuel revenues. This is not the case, but stomping out that myth will not happen. I'll give a standard FL example. We have a state lottery sponsored by the state government as "providing funding for education" (e.g. smaller classroom sizes will become the norm....). All that happened is the education funding had a transient bump while the present situation is lottery revenue just contributes to the general revenue. The education financing is just a continuation of what it was before the lottery. Yet many folk still claim that the lottery is what funds our schools......

el Crucero likes this.
  4. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Exactly correct. Fuel consumption and emission are not directly related. Our air quality would be greatly diminished if we all started commuting on 50cc scooters so popular in developing countries even though our fuel consumption would be reduced. A surprisingly large portion of pollution in urban areas comes from yard equipment even though they burn small amounts of fuel.

If we want to control emissions then regulate emissions. Require cars, furnaces, factories, etc to become cleaner. Require yearly vehicle inspections to keep the clunkers and modified cars off the road.