1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1.8L starting rattle, knock, events

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by bwilson4web, Nov 14, 2010.

?
  1. Never or not happened, yet. (miles? months owned?)

55.6%
  2. 1 time (miles? months owned?)

27.1%
  3. 2-3 times

10.4%
  4. 4-7 times

2.8%
  5. 8 or more times

2.1%
  6. Reproducible (details?)

1.4%
  7. Spring

2.1%
  8. Summer

2.8%
  9. Fall

9.0%
  10. Winter

12.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Great report!

Temperatures (best estimate)?

Like 'stone soup,' we all bring something to the pot.

Bob Wilson

2. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Never. Owned since Sept. 2009, 19.000km.

3. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    A quick boost of this poll and update.

Cold weather arrived in Huntsville, 40s and soon below freezing, so this morning I started the wife's ZVW30 and heard two knocks and it smoothed right out. The car currently has straight gas, 87 octane (Pure.)

I let the car run for about 30 seconds and shut it down. Saturday morning at dawn, I'll connect my Auto Enginuity and see if I can capture anything in the start. I'll also see about putting a camera on a tripod to make a recording and take the engine cover off. I'll rig up a Mac with two microphones in the engine compartment, either side of the engine, to make an AudaCity recording and see if we can learn anything from the locations.

Can anyone think of additional instrumentation that might be helpful?

Thanks,
    Bob Wilson

4. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    That isn't "knock" or "pre-ignition". It's something in the valve train. I was thinking fouled plugs might be the cause of all this, but it sounds like something not adjusting in the valve train.

5. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'm thinking a microphone on each side of the valve cover with digital recording. This way we can compare the amplitude of each knock to see roughly where they occur.

The other thought is one microphone in the center of the valve cover and a second one suspended in the air inlet before the throttle plate. The theory being we may be able to make out the intake valve opening and closings relative to the knock.

I would try for the exhaust pipe but it is difficult to reach and soon reaches microphone plastic damaging temperatures.

Now if I could tap the camshaft encoder and feed that to the Mac, say four channel recording, we could tell exactly the phase relationship of the knocks (and other interesting noises.)

Bob Wilson

6. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My two occurances happened under similar circumstances:
    1. Backed Prius twenty-five feet out of garage in ECO mode. ICE did not start.
    2. Washed Prius.
    3. Drove Prius twenty-five feet back into garage in ECO mode. ICE started and ran for three to four seconds before I shut it down.
    4. Next morning, started car in ECO mode. ICE knocked and vibrated for five to ten seconds and then ran normally.
    The first occurance was in August 2009; second was in October 2010. Currrent mileage is approximately 20,800. Same event has happend in the above circumstances on other cars I have owned, i.e. '97 Buick LeSabre.

Conclusions/theories:
    1. Although one can point to similar ocurrances, the frequency of the event is low, random, and probably not capable of being consistently duplicated by testing procedures for Toyota to recognize it as a problem. Pardon my pessimism.
    2. There does not appear to be any damage to the ICE after this occurs which indicates that it is not a mechnical interferrence problem.
    3. Concur with paprius4030 unburned gas theory as a possible cause, either in cylinders as a rich mixture, or causing carbon to dislodge from back of intake valves into cylinder(s), causing the engine to run rough and knock until excess fuel and/or carbon is burned off.
    4. Bottom line for me: It would be nice to confirm what is actually occuring and I look forward to Prius Chat for further developments, but at this point it is not something I am worried about as far as the reliability or longevity of the engine/car.
    I appreciate all the thought and effort of fellow Prius owners to solve this mystery. Keep up the good work.

1 person likes this.
  7. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Ok, I have good news and bad news. First:

BAD NEWS:

The car started this morning without any knock.

GOOD NEWS:

I recorded the 'good start' with Auto Enginuity and the data is attached. And thanks to my late Dad's fascination with Model A Fords, I see a curious pattern in the data!

Look at the spark advance during the cold start. It starts at 17.0 degrees and then goes DOWN! Anyone who has started a Model A Ford in freezing weather knows you set the spark to maximum retard and hope it catches. Instead, we see the ICE start with 17 degrees and then it decreases to a minimum and then it jumps up to ~20 degrees.

My hypothesis is the engine controller remembers the 'last spark advance' or 'uses 17 degrees regardless of temperature.' It then adjusts down until the engine coolant and/or other other conditions indicate it can be advanced. Suddenly, it advances.

Now anyone who tries to start a Model A Ford in cold weather knows that if you try to hand crank it, it can 'kick back' and you risk wrist injury. This '17 degrees' when starting a stone cold engine does not make any sense. Fortunately, this hypothesis is easy enough to test.

I'll take the car back home and let it cool off until sunset or later this evening. Using Auto Enginuity, I'll start the car and monitor the spark advance. As soon as it reaches 24 degrees, I'll shut it off and let it 'cold soak' overnight. Sunday morning, I'll repeat the test.

Comments? Suggestion?

Bob Wilson

Attached Files:

8. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Bob if it means anything the 4.0 V6 in my FJ will start rough if it is exposed to temps +40 F or colder. Most of them do that. No knocks, but the engine can become very "lopey" for up to 10 seconds

9. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Listening to the video, it sure sounds like metal to metal contact, like the timing chain would make, if loose and rubbing. I believe this engine has an oil pressure powered chain tensioner? That would fit in with the symptoms, if the tensioner leaks down or some other problem, and then it starts working again with oil pressure.
    This is the first I have heard where an 08 has this sound, maybe I haven't read enough threads. Never heard on my 07.

10. blake918

blake918 Blizzard Brigade #23

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Voted Never/Not Yet-- 07/10 build, 3,500 miles, started in 40-100 degree temps.

11. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    This graph shows the curious spark advance behavior:
    [​IMG]
    It makes no sense that the spark advance starts high, 17 degrees, and then decreases. This could easily lead to the engine knock.

Bob Wilson

1 person likes this.
  12. E-GINO

E-GINO Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    19000 km over a year, I've never experimented this phenomena. However, since the beginning I've been using the 98 RON fuel...
    Brgds

13. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Carbon deposits make no sense, unburned fuel makes a lot of sense. It could be like starting a flooded engine. Some cylinders catch ignition some don't.
    Alternatively, valve timing malfunction at start. I doubt if Bob's testing can uncover the issue.

14. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Below is a link to an excellent article in Motor Magazine, that makes a lot of "sense", concerning carbon deposits.

The article explains how carbon deposits occur and performance problems they can cause, including the type of problem described in this thread. It is a good read for anyone with an open mind. My only critique of the article is that it is written for repair shop owners and emphasizes remedial decarbonization services sold by repair shops; however, it does not discuss regular use of complete fuel system cleaner additives as a preventive measure.

MOTOR Magazine Article | MOTOR Information Systems

:)

15. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The hypothesis I've been working from is the ZVW30 'remembers' the last ignition advance when it was shutdown. Regardless of the starting temperature, it starts with the last spark advance value and then adjusts based upon "knock" sensor and other heuristics.

This morning, it was freezing (certainly ice on the windshield) so I started my wife's ZVW30 while recording the basic data available to Auto Enginuity. I let the car run until the spark reached 23.5 degrees, it started at 15 degrees.

Tomorrow morning, after a cold soak below freezing, I'll once again, instrument the car and see what happens when it starts. Currently the gasoline is straight gas, 87 octane (Pure).

Bob Wilson

Attached Files:

16. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The article is written to sell cleaning solutions. It omits a simple fact that engines decarbonize themself when taken out for a nice Hwy driving (Italian tuning).

If carbon is such a widespread problem, why only 2010 Prius is knocking and not other cars or even the previous generations?

17. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well just to set the record straight...my 08 did it once also. I agree there seems to be more complaints of this in regards to the Gen 3 compared to the Gen 2. But with these cars being so new I still think it has more to do with unburned gas left in a cylinder or 2 from the night before. :confused:That's my uneducated opinion, and I'm sticking to it LOL:cool:

1 person likes this.
  18. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'll have to repeat the experiment as the ICE started quickly. I couldn't get it into "N" fast enough to suppress starting the ICE. Lesson learned, do the POWER sequence that leaves the error lights on (no brake, two POWER pushes.) Then use the brake and press Power. This apparently gives enough time to shift into "N" before the ICE starts.

Regardless, I stopped it and was able to see the spark advance at . . . 23.5 degrees. Once again, the curious decrease in spark advance occurred and it ramped down to 5 degrees before jumping up to 25 degrees.

Something else that happens in the fall is the switch from summer to winter blend gasoline. But I have yet to figure out how to determine the local pump blend.

Bob Wilson

19. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    [quote:Originally Posted by friendly_jacek [​IMG]
    The article is written to sell cleaning solutions. It omits a simple fact that engines decarbonize themself when taken out for a nice Hwy driving (Italian tuning).
    If carbon is such a widespread problem, why only 2010 Prius is knocking and not other cars or even the previous generations?

The below excerpts from the MOTOR Magazine article support paprius4030's opinion, and mine, that the problem may be fuel related; such as, a stuck open injector, which would flood the cylinder after the engine is shut-off, and again when the engine starts, until the injector unsticks and closes; or, a stuck closed injector, which would cause the other cylinders to be overfueled until the injector unsticks and opens; or, injector(s) with partial restriction and uneven fuel spray pattern; or, lots of other possiblilities.

Let's all be "friendly" and keep our minds open. :)
    "most injector designs rarely fail due to mechanical or electrical faults. The most common problem relating to injectors is restriction. Even slight restrictions will skew both the injector’s atomization quality and the fuel volume it’s able to deliver at a given engine load and rpm.

Given time, contaminants in fuel tanks, fuel lines or the fuel rail—or even in the fuel itself—will always restrict injector flow; that’s a fact. Foreign particles such as rust will also accumulate within the injector filter or fuel filters to effectively reduce fuel flow. Extremely small rust particles may even pass through the tiny injector filter itself, causing altered spray patterns as well as reduced injector volume; they may even prevent the injector pintles from seating properly (see photo 1 on page 50).

Whether a pintle is sticking on or off its seat, overfueling of cylinders will always occur. If an injector’s pintle is off its seat, not only will the corresponding cylinder be flooded with fuel, but also the PCM (via O2 sensor feedback) will reduce fueling to other cylinders, causing a lack of performance (and a reduction in fuel economy), and creating the potential for engine, piston or ring damage. On the other hand, if a stuck pintle never opens, that cylinder will receive no fuel at all and the PCM will try to correct a lean bank issue by overfueling the rest of the cylinders on that O2 sensor bank. These scenarios are common on vehicles whose fuel systems have not been regularly maintained. Injectors need to be very clean for optimum system performance and fuel economy.

Injectors. Aside from the injector plugging issues from fuel contaminants mentioned earlier, carbon deposits (from heat soak) that build up on fuel injector tips will inevitably cause an uneven fuel pattern spray. As a conical spray pattern deteriorates to unevenly atomized type patterns, an increase in activated carbon buildup will also naturally occur."

20. mwok86

mwok86 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The night before the knock happened, I got in and moved the Prius 2 feet ahead and shut it off. I think I shut it off while the ICE was "warming up".

The next morning the knock occurred. It never happened after that.

Could it be related to something in the ICE and moving only 2 feet ahead and shutting down immediately? I notice that sometimes, when I park my Prius and engage the parking brake...the Prius slightly moves forward (like some gears "lock"). Maybe that slight movement is enough to cause some issues when ICE starts up? Maybe shutting the ICE while warming up AND that slight movement is creating the issue?

1 person likes this.