1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1 Click, 2 Click, 3 Click, More?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by dbermanmd, Mar 8, 2006.

1. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Good question. I assume that they have SOME sort of vapor recovery system in place. Hell, in CA, they'd HAVE to.

2. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yet another PERFECT reason to use credit cards at gas stations. I also shop around for the most expensive gas to purchase.

3. jeneric

jeneric New Member

Ahh.

4. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    We have been using a Starwoods AmEx for years and have found the return on the points we earn far exceed those of airline miles and other promotions. The way I see it is that I am going to spend the money either way, by charging it and paying off the ENTIRE balance of the credit card on time I am earning a return on that money I would not have seen if I had paid cash.

That same airline ticket that costs you 25,000 points (if you are not blacked out) earns you five nights at a Starwoods hotel (Sheraton, Westin, W, etc). You can do the math from there - the price of one airline ticket vs. 5 nights at a hotel - obviously different Starwoods properties have different redemption costs.

Interestingly enough when you convert regular AmEx points to Starwood AmEx points they make you pay in a 3:1 ratio in favor of Starwoods (3000 AmEx points would equal 1000 Starwood AmEx points).

For full and fair disclosure we own a timeshare at the Atlantis which is also a Starwoods property and every other year we are allowed to trade that in for Starwoods AmEx points to use at any of their properties, etc. Even without the timeshare you can accumulate enough points over time for a nice FREE vacation.

David

5. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Ummm, the polar ice caps are already melting. All I really worry about is how much I'll have to spend on car repair before the world ends. Unless a part on my car fails due to topping off, it's not a big deal to me...

6. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

I always try to fill up full. The charcoal cannister is supposed to have a valve to prevent getting filled with liquid fuel. If it doesn't work I expect Toyota to fix it. I refuse to go to the trouble of going to a gas station which I would rather not be doing at all, and then not fill the tank.

Takes about 30 to 50 clicks to fill my tank. Not always full then but I get tired and give up sometimes. No fuel gets wasted or I would see a drop in my mileage which doesn't happen.

There are pumps that can fill my tank in maybe 3 clicks. These are very rare so I only get these easy fill ups maybe once in 10 tanks.

Click off starts up at anywhere between 1/2 tank and 3/4 tank full.
    Then it is steady and I get maybe 0.05 gal in with each click some times.
    Other times I can fill by pulling out the nozzle most all the way and keep it going a bit longer.
    \
    In the 16000 miles I've had the car the tank has burped fuel back twice. In each case it had 0 to do with how many clicks I went by. It was caused by rushing, not relieving the pressure often enough by pulling the nozzle, a bad pump that would not shut off at all, or with some pumps by filling too slow which kills their shut off mechanism.

My previous car was a diesel, and that was about the same to fill up just due to the fuel foaming. So I don't see a big change with the Prius.

Both cars also had about the same 1/2 gallon uncertainty as to where they would actually run out of fuel after reading empty. I have run out twice on purpose. I now feel safe running down to the blinking and then filling up within 15 miles.

But each car is different clearly. And pumps seem to be different too in different parts of the country. Here in MA I think the main problem is they are set up to fill fast for SUV's and not for small gas tanks.

Too bad they don't make them like Diesel pumps here. We have Diesel pumps that pump fast for trucks and slow for cars. These are switched to fast by pausing 30 seconds or so after starting a fill up. The system worked great.