1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1-DIN dvd player / rear headrests - possible?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Stormz, Aug 17, 2011.

1. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Carputer should consome electricity about the same as a subwoofer so it should be good. I don't think you need both the 2 DIN unit and carputer. It would be an overkill. Upgrade the speakers with that money.

2. Stormz

Stormz Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, I wouldn't have both :)

I've weighed it up, and the carputer is out. It just isn't worth all the extra money (inc over $300 for a new upgraded battery as recommended on the mp3car forum).

So I`m going to go for one of the dvd units chinavasion have, which use the same ARM cpu that was in the first couple of iPhones.... should be very reliable.

Still deciding whether to marry it to a couple of headrest monitors, or a flip-down monitor. I`d probably prefer a flip-down to be honest... anyone know what the Prius roof is like to attach it to, or would the installer have to rig up something?

Will get a SWI-PAC for the unit as well so we don't lose the buttons on the steering wheel.

3. Stormz

Stormz Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    oops. Something awry with the posting. Double-post.

4. Stormz

Stormz Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As I'm an Eonon hater (awful customer service and 'warranty' which rips you off), I refuse to buy any of their stuff any more, even though they have the best specced headrests.

So, headrests are probably out, unless Chinavasion sell some with decent resolution (and black... the grey ones they have are good, but they're... grey).

Anyway, here's what I`m thinking is the best setup for me atm:

Road Emperor - In Dash Car DVD With 3G Internet (2DIN GPS DVB-T)
    Why this one over the $200 cheaper Street King 1 (which is what we have in the Delica).... well it's just the ARM cpu actually, which I`m thinking would make this unit much more reliable (the Street King is fantastic for $250, but it has some weirdness now and again... like turning off in the middle of a movie, or ejecting music it doesn't like :) ). 90% of the time it's fine though. The Road Emperor should be alot better though.... I don't really care about it's wi-fi... I`m not thinking of driving to McDonald's and sitting in the car park to browse the net :) .
    It has the steering wheel control socket input though, which the Street Kings etc don't.

If you have a look at the main 2-din page though, I wonder if the Camry or Corolla versions of the Road Emperor would fit better in the Prius??

And this in the centre, for the kids in the back:
    Roof Mount LCD Monitor - 13.3 Inch Vehicle Display
    It's 1024x768, the best res they have, in the biggest monitor, and yet it's the cheapest.... strange.

Just need to find a reversing camera that won't need drilling of the Prius to mount it. Maybe this:
    Car Reverse Camera - Reversing Aid (PAL)

What do you think?

5. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Specs and price looks crazy good. It is worth a try. Why don't you upgrade in stages?

Do the head unit and steering controls first then do the other screens.

6. Stormz

Stormz Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd prefer to do it all at once, as then it's just paying the installer the once to come out and take the dash all apart. Plus have you ever been in a car where the passenger could watch something, and the kids in the back go feral? :) There would be a revolution.

7. Stormz

Stormz Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    With the roof-mount monitor, has anyone else installed one in a Prius?

I`d like to know the max size I can fit in there. Don't want to buy a 13" and then find the Prius roof can't handle it.

8. Stormz

Stormz Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They had a 30% off sale at a local store of head units, so I bought a Pioneer 2-din touchscreen with Bluetooth model. AHF336 or something like that iirc.

Will start installing it tonight. Still need to find out what wattage the 68 ohm resistor needs to be.