1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

$1 Gasoline???

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by wjtracy, Mar 6, 2020.

1. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    My sister-in-law paid $1.99 at the Costco in Ringgold, GA this morning.
    They're asking $2.25 at Sam's Club across the river from here in Bullhead City, AZ.

2. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Video gaming
    Streaming (netflix)
    Video conferencing
    Cable news (there will probably be a 24-hr Covid-19 channel soon)
    On-line ordering of whatever (Amazon)
    cell phone carriers
    garbage collection, residential
    long shelf-life foods
    Bleach, hand sanitizers, etc

Mike

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Hummm, my gold mining stock peaked in the middle of the day and dropped to the opening price.

A little too big for a coffin but perhaps a funeral pyre?

Bob Wilson

4. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ventured out to a Washington State Costco today, basically taunting death:LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

Well, I am 61, guess I am supposed to be in self-quarantine, lest, I get the WuFlu.

Anyway, noticed Costco sells TWO five quart bottles of 0-20w Kirkland brand full syn. motor for $25 in store, $30, including shipping. Basically $12-$15 for each bottle.

Seems like a killer deal. Wonder if I will ever see quality motor oil selling for fifty cents (US) a quart again as I remember buying in my 20s from National Lumber in Southern California....Of course, remember buying gasoline from a Sears Roebuck station for 19 cents a gallon.

Oh, I don't do Costco gas, too much of a traffic jam and did not notice the price per gallon.

5. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Walmart occasionally has a good deal on name brand 0W-20 oil. Last time I paid, I think, $22.50 for the 5 qt. size. Gotta look for the sales.

6. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    We're at $1.65 for E10 and $1.88 for 100% here in OKC. Those cheap stations at the top (Oncue, 7-11) are not crappy cash only type stations. I need to fill up the Prime, but I'm waiting for the summer blend gas. I'd rather carry summer blend around than crappy low btu winter blend. ;)

7. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Whaaaat... $12-$15 for a quart bottle of 0W-20 oil? Last time I bought oil for my Gen 3 almost 5 years ago, I paid ~$5/qt for genuine TOYOTA 0W-20, free shipping from online source, either Walmart or Amazon, I think. I bought 20 qts and used 4 qts for my Gen3 30K service before traded it in for 2017 PRIME. I did not use them for my PRIME next 2 years while I used the free Toyota Care. Then, I used another 4 qts last fall for my 30K service on my 2017 PRIME before I traded it in for 2020 PRIME recently. The rest of 12 bottles have been used up on our other hybrids (Honda and Nissan).

Next time I need oil again for our two other hybrids I will go with Mobile One 0W-20 from Walmart hopefully with Mobile promotion coupon. I will use the Free Toyota Care for my 2020 PRIME next two years, but after than I have to buy 0W-16 oil recommended for 2020 PRIME, meaning I can't share it with other two hybrids in my household.

#87 Salamander_King, Mar 10, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
  8. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Go back and read it again.

Salamander_King likes this.
  9. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OH... my bad! The price for a five quarts bottle. :LOL: That price, I can live with.

BTW... how long does an open bottle of oil last on a shelf? My son's Honda needs only 4 qts, but wife's Nissan needs almost 6 qts. Unless I can do both at the same time, I have to save open bottle for other car.

10. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'll assume you mean it has been opened, but is presently sealed to keep dust out.

The oil itself should be good forever, though I understand some of the additives can evaporate over time. I wouldn't be worried about anything under 15 years.

Salamander_King likes this.
  11. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. That's good to know. I think I read somewhere that the break fluid goes bad once the bottle is opened. I did not think engine oil had an expiration date when unopened, but did not know about oil remaining in the partially used bottle.

#91 Salamander_King, Mar 10, 2020
  12. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Brake fluid is hygroscopic; it wants to absorb water. It will eagerly pull humidity out of the air in the room until it is spoiled. It wants to be in an airless sealed jug or car brake plumbing network.

Motor oil and water have a very deep-seated polar rivalry, there is no danger of oil taking on water from the air.

13. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, Thanks. One more question. How about engine coolant fluid composed of mainly Ethylene Glycol, I believe? I have an open bottle of partially used coolant in my garage which was used for topping off my old Honda. It is the same coolant used for my son's Honda. If I can keep it to use it in future, I will save it, but if it goes bad in an partially used bottle, I will just take it to chemical disposal.

14. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Quick search says the antifreeze concentrate doesn't go bad. If it's real old, check it for color changes and solids settling out. These are signs of chemical changes happening.

Diluted is good for 1 to 5 years. Depends on water quality; distilled water will last longer than tap. Stuff starts precipitating out. Pre-mixed may last the longest as the company can adjust the solution's chemistry for longer life, and unopened bottles may last as long as the concentrate.

15. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. It is Honda Genuine Longlife Type 2 premixed coolant. I needed very little to top of my previous HCH, but it came only in 1 gal size. I still have almost 0.9 gal or more left in the jag. That said, my son's Honda does not need a coolant change for more than 5-6 years at current rate of his driving. I will use it if he needs to top off his coolant in interim, but if he keeps the car that long I will just buy a new stuff then.

16. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Good to know, I never owned any long enough to think about it.

I don't know what causes it to lose freeze protection after usage- reactance with the materials in the host system?

17. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is what I paid for my last order of 5q jugs of full synthetic
    (Needless to say I’m still picking at it) 630FFDDC-173A-461D-87CF-69E919127A06.jpeg

18. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Sounded it is like motor oil, it is the additives that fail with use and time. Without them, things start corroding. The condition of used coolant has me thinking changing is more about the additives than loss of freeze protection.

There things that will eat the glycol, but I suspect loss of freeze protection has more to due with changes to the water to antifreeze ratio. Little bit gets boiled off over time, or there is a leak, and just water is used to top it off.
    I got a couple oil filters for 25 cents each because Supertech changed the box.

19. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    New RAV4H takes 0W-16...what the heck is that? pretty soon we can use soapy water?

Looks like the crude price decline has not yet hit the pumps...doesn't that usually happen on a Thursday, they change prices based on release of data or something like that?

#99 wjtracy, Mar 10, 2020
  20. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Started with the new Camry. Supertech now has 0w-16 in the 5qt jug.

Low fuel prices won't last long, or it won't matter.
    Shale’s New Reality: Almost All Wells Drilled Now Lose Money - Bloomberg
    How the oil crash could turn into a much bigger economic shock

wjtracy likes this.