1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured 1 in 5 Californians have swapped their EV for a gas car — and this is to blame

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by jerrymildred, May 5, 2021.

1. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    upload_2021-5-18_10-18-27.png

hill likes this.
  2. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
  3. t_newt

t_newt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Just a note that there is a new standard coming out--for trucks. It is called MCS--the Megawatt Charging System and it can theoretically go up to 1500V and 3000A. I assume we'll start to see it when the Tesla Semi comes out.

4. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That's 4.5MW. It might be interesting to note the size of a 3.5MW transformer I bought about 20 years ago:

Transformer 1.jpg

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    just like your own private vegetable garden

6. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Quick question - help out a non EV person here.

What is a "SuperCharger". I understand it's Tesla, but is it a fast charger? If so, why would you want a fast charger everywhere when fast charging depletes the life of a battery faster than slow charging at a 1C rate? It's especially hard on a depleted battery to be "fast charged" back to full. (That's a lithium based battery I'm talking about). Can these things be set to only charge to the recommended 80% charge rate on Lithium? Or is it defaulted to top it off?

iono - just seems you wouldn't want a fast charger unless your on an interstate going on a long trip. Local use, keep with a slow charger.

Or am i totally off base and none of these are fast charger's you all are talking about?

7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It is a fast DC charger, and most people do only use it for long trips. The charge rate greatly slows down when the battery reaches 80% charge. Time wise, you are better off stopping the charging there. I believe you check the car's charge level through a phone app.

As for the OT, many of the plug in owners in the survey didn't have access to home charging. So we are going to also need public slow chargers for that part of the population.

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    SuperCharger fast DC can slightly reduce battery capacity but more from the extra use. The battery ages primarily by loss of lithium into the ever growing SEI layer. The aging accelerates from higher temperatures. But this is not a ‘hair on fire’ problem.

My 2019 Tesla was rated at 240 miles new. My last full charge indicated 232 miles after 45,000 miles, a 3.3% loss. So the battery is aging as expected.

Bob Wilson

9. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Most of the Tesla Superchargers are version 2, which provide a max of 120 or 150 kw.
    The newer V3 can charge up to 250kw.

In the car you can set a slider to choose the percentage of full charge you want the charge to stop at. It is sticky, so it stays the same on the next charge if you don't change it. And when charging starts you get a time estimate to reach your chosen setpoint in large font that you can see from outside the car.
    You can see this info on the phone app as well. And you can stop the charge remotely, change the climate settings, etc.

Note that besides the well-known Superchargers, Tesla has many more "destination" chargers deployed at hotels, restaurants, resorts, etc that are much slower...typically 11kw.

Mike

Trollbait likes this.
  10. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    If Tesla can work it out using a Supercharger to CCS adapter and an APP, I'd be more than happy to use it on my cars, especially the Spark. :D

austingreen likes this.
  11. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    If someone pays them they probably can easily add a 175 kw ccs plug to the superchargers in the network when they upgrade. The CCS plug has different communication protocol, so it is easier to add a different plug than make a smart adapter that would have to translate between protocols and carry such strong current.

My bet is megacharger sites that are open will use charin which is ccs compatible and will be able to service heavy trucks from tesla and other makers. These sites are going to be expensive and if multiple vendors make heavy trucks and busses it makes sense to share the cost. In china there is a different megacharger protocol that japan will also use.

El Dobro likes this.
  12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    the adapter was easy .... & iirc, became available a year or more ago;
    Capture+_2021-05-19-11-18-05.png
    The tricky part will be getting GM on board - to negotiate paying for access, so that you can get your Spark's VIN into the system - to complete the electronic hand shake.

Even so, if the handshake completes with your car telling the CCS charger that it can only handle 50kw, it doesn't matter that the CCS can deliver 200 KW or more. But hey - still better than a paltry 3.6kW's ... which at business locations is often not even quite 3kW's (since many US public chargers are fed by legs off of 3 phase - barely 200v)

#112 hill, May 19, 2021
    Last edited: May 19, 2021
    El Dobro likes this.
  13. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    He is talking about going the other way. The model S and X pre-2019 didn't have proper communications hardware to do the translation so they had to be retrofitted.

The Chinese adapter that they sell in america - ccs to telsa, I believe does the translation for those non retrofitted cars but it costs $660 and limits current to 200A. Not difficult but expensive and makes them a target for theft if kept at the stations. That's why its better to add the new cable and proper plug as they have done in Europe.

14. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It will be one direction only, CCS-1 to Tesla.

Bob Wilson

15. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Then how will Tesla superchargers be used for non Tesla cars?

16. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    There are “illicit” devices

But considering Tesla rages if they catch a non-Tesla even in destination chargers I doubt that would ever be a big market without a legal means from the mothership

that said Tesla equipment on private property has always had a free option to include support for other charging protocols, too bad almost no one orders them with the no cost upgrade

bwilson4web likes this.
  17. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Since too many like our BMW i3-REx are limited too 50 kW peak charge rate, they would do a slowed-EV occupation of a powerful charging resource.

Bob Wilson

18. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You didn't answer the question. I'll repeat it for you:

"Then how will Tesla superchargers be used for non Tesla cars?"

Reference:

upload_2021-5-20_7-43-30.png

19. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    As noted in post #92, there have been reports that this has already been happening. For example, an Aptera has been seen at a supercharging station with what appears to be a Tesla inlet on the vehicle.

20. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been seeing lots of stories about that.....
    [​IMG]