1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1 mile to work in the city... EV Mode?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by mikeysaid, Feb 4, 2010.

1. mikeysaid

mikeysaid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    at present my main office is almost exactly one mile from my parking space at home...

would EV mode be appropriate for me to get there and home (generally speaking i do drive around the city 20-30 miles mid day for meetings and the like, but twice a day i start and then do a one miler, which i would like to do electric if I could...

also... anyone know a tech or tinkerer here in the phoenix area?

2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hmmm, unlikely. It might get you there depending on conditions but would probably not have enough power left for the return trip. Also, the acceleration in EV mode isn't quite there to enable you to keep up with the traffic.

You can but try.

3. mikeysaid

mikeysaid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Note: I almost (read: once a week) never go further than 1/2 mile without hitting a light on this little stretch.

If it's no good for more that short of a distance... what is it good for? I'll check some of the other posts from today that look related.

4. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    EV mode won't work. The ICE will spin up just to get warm.

5. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I beg to differ. If you power the car up and then quickly select EV before the engine starts up you will keep the car in EV mode. Depending on the state of battery charge you will be able to drive a small distance on electric only.

I would stress that the EV function is mainly there to be used to move the vehicle small distances without starting the engine. By small I mean moving the car from the garage to your drive or to change parking bays etc. You can go further in EV but it eats your battery and the engine will just have to work harder later to put that energy back.

Once you get used to driving your Prius you will find that you don't need to use EV as such but by keeping acceleration low the Prius will stay on electic quite happily upto mid 30's speed for quite long distances. It's hard to explain this as there are so many variables as to when and how it switches from electric to petrol and back again.

See if you can get an extended test drive from your dealers. Do they do 24/48 hour test drives over in the US?

6. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I drive every weekday morning 2.2 miles in EV mode to go to work. Of that, 1 mile is fairly flat, the rest is down hill. If your commute is flat or downhill, you should be fine. If uphill, forget it. You will need to keep it under 34 MPH, as you know, and don't accelerate hard. You will also need a battery in the green, or almost green state.

7. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Too bad there wasn't an ev at work you could use for your day trips, Mikey. The mile commute to the office and back is within walking range, I'd say. :)

8. spinkao

spinkao New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Alas, no way. The EV battery does not have sufficient capacity for that. It won't even get you there, not to mention back again :). It could last a mile only under ideal conditions (starting on eight greens, steady speed, no acceleration, no braking).

If you want to improve your mileage, you are a candidate for a block heater (or temperature measurement hack :)). Or a plug-in :).

9. guinness_fr

guinness_fr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How about an electric bike for this one mile (walking would work too!) and just use your car for longer distances.
    The mpg will be horrible with frequent 1 mile trips!

10. mikeysaid

mikeysaid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    unfortunately the nature of my work (community organizing) requires that i be able to leave work in my vehicle to make trips into the communities we work in and it would not be feasible to make the trip back to my apartment to do so.

from what i read about the EBH, it would help me one time a day, as my ICE is only on for 30 seconds or so in the afternoon here. I imagine that come summer it will be like that twice a day.

11. TopJimmy5150

TopJimmy5150 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't think I would have chosen a Prius for your commuting needs.

12. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Regularly depleting the pack could impact its life. Also, remember that all the EV range comes from the gasoline. If you can keep the engine pretty warm between trips, then the initial warmup is more tolerable. Grill blocking sounds like a winner for you, as does max sidewall psi.

My commute is 1.6 miles one-way. The Gen3 handles it better with ECO mode. But what we both really need is a PHEV (2012) Prius, or a BEV.

Walking and biking are great theories that ignore the realities of our car-centric worlds and the demands of our jobs once we arrive. I reject the notion that one with a 150 mile commute can drive their Prius or Hummer to work and use it during the day, but because I chose to live near work I should walk home every time I need transportation.

We need to focus on consumption, not mpg.

13. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Sounds like the Enginer Kit would be perfect for you. Either 2kwhr or 4kwhr. This would get you the capacity to do what you want for the short commute and improve your mileage for the rest of your driving.

Thanks,
    Dan

14. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, it's car-centric theory that ignores reality. ;)
    "Build it and they will come" has worked brilliantly for cars, and many municipalities are now trying it for pedestrians and cyclists. City planners are recognising that self-propelled transportation is a viable alternative with many benefits. Even simple changes in zoning bylaws can have a huge impact. Instead of commuting by car half way across town, people can live and work in the same building and commute by elevator. :)

2 people like this.
  15. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I envy your world, I really do. I just don't live in that world yet.

16. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Unfortunately, most don't. I can see all of my daily destinations from my house, and all are within a five minute walk. It's a good way to live.

Tom

1 person likes this.
  17. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Caveat: Read dan2l's threads on his experience first to make sure you will enjoy the current challenges of his or any other current kit. No offense Dan, but the kit is not yet ready for the crowd complaining about the brakes and the cruise control. And many of the rest of us as well, sad to say.

18. mikeysaid

mikeysaid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i didn't buy it for my commuting needs. I bought it for my work and personal transportation needs. it just so happens that i have a one mile drive right now. the rest of my driving is well served by the prius.

come august we'll be moving closer to my wife's campus which will give me a 15-30 minute drive to and from work depending on traffic.

we'll probably leave the car alone with the exception of a lockpick or something like that for now.

19. linuxpenguin

linuxpenguin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Just to pipe in with my usual spiel, continual use of EV mode--especially in a non-PHEV Prius can significantly increase overall vehicle emissions pushing the vehicle well above the SULEV emissions rating that a stock Prius meets. When you exit EV mode (and you will--trust me) while driving you end up demanding power from the gasoline engine without warming the catalytic converter first (even more if you exit due to low battery--also something that will happen). This means the car is unprepared to deal with the ensuing emissions (to put it crudely) and according to Argonne National Labs can increase regulated vehicle emissions by 10 to 12 times.

No, if you're only driving 1 mile a day and are even slightly concerned about emissions your probably best off just letting the car operate normally. You could get a conversion yes ($$$), but frankly if you just drive a mile...maybe walking would be best? :)

Sorry to repeat my spiel about emissions but I seem to be the only one who brings this up...for some reason...Am I the only one who cares about lowering emissions?

Andrew

20. Doorknob

Doorknob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sweet... i thought the same thing. I was right about to suggest, dare I say it... WALKING!

But I saw the reply to your note. Then again, a 15 min walk back to the car if it's needed wouldn't be totally awful. Are there emergencies that one would be called to where 15 minutes loss due to walking would be detrimental? If so, wouldn't the police or medical authorities be better suited for such situations?