1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1 mile to work in the city... EV Mode?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by mikeysaid, Feb 4, 2010.

1. tableround

tableround New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I hear your argument - but I disagree with some of it. When I park my car at night I probably have 2-3 blue bars showing. When I allow the car to "start normal" I drive for .8 of my 1.2 commute with all the gas burning to warm the converter, but that is all it is doing - just burning gas to burn gas. I'm not charging the car - I'm not even using the gas to move the vehicle - my battery pack continues to leak energy until I get 2 pink bars - then the gas engine finally - starts charging the battery.
    When I use the EV button - I am able to move the car .5 of my 1.2 mile trip. When the gas engine kicks in, because I am in the pink, it then begins immediately charging my battery AND warming the converter. Of course, more charging than heating since I also have an EBH installed.

To burn gas simply to make something hot without ALSO using the energy to make something move seems dumb to me. I would truly love to see stats on emissions of the Prius as it burns gas just to burn gas. And the same Prius burning gas that recharges the battery and makes the car move - what are those emissions?
    I don't see any reason why they wouldn't be nearly identical. I hate listening to my car burn gas and see my screen shows no arrow movements, or worse, burning gas, but the only arrows are from the battery to the wheels.
    I prefer burning gas that charges the car AND makes the car move. I get this result using the installed EV button in my '04 and allowing the battery to just touch the pink zone. (and I use an EBH - so the engine is already nice and toasty).

2. tableround

tableround New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've been using an electric bicycle since 2004. I "bike" to work 1.5 miles away. I am a minister, so when parish needs arise (hospital, nursing home, etc.) I bike home and grab the car if where I am going means using the highway, or my round trip will be greater than 15miles. (I used the e-bike/moped when I worked in Hospice as a Chaplain). Start the morning with the bike, around lunch leave the bike in the garage, placing it on the charger and then head out with the car. I do it today as Sr. Pastor in GP/Detroit.

I can't wait for the Volt (oops, too expensive and only gets 36mpg):mad:. I'm now waiting for the Ford Focus BEV:confused:, or I may have to add an Enginer to my Prius:(. Plug In America - Promoting Plug-in Cars for a Better America