1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1 week old Prius V won't start

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Gman92, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Gman92

Gman92 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Pretty upset only a week old on a Friday night and it won't start, lights on dash just all flash and blink.

Not feeling good about my purchase right now and no transportation all weekend until Monday.

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you try to jump start it?

Many dealers run the 12v battery down when showing off the cars and weaken the battery to the point where one or two discharges by the end user will kill the battery.

1 person likes this.
  3. benagi

benagi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I went to a dealership to take a test drive of a V and they had 3 with dead batteries. The one we finally got to test drive had to be jumped. Think you probably just need a good charge on your 12V battery. Good luck, hope that's all it was.

1 person likes this.
  4. Gman92

Gman92 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    I have been driving it for a week, put around 700 km's on it.

Wouldn't that charge the battery?

5. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If it has a little red button near the overhead light cluster press it, Toyotacare will answer your query and dispatch a repair vessel to you posthaste. If it doesn't have a little red button call your nearest dealer for immediate satisfaction, if your dealer doesn't offer immediate satisfaction press them for a loaner car until yours is worthy.

If your battery was low when you pulled out of the dealers lot 700k may not have rejuvenated it, or you may have left an interior electrical drawing device unbeknownst to you, on.

Relax, it won't let you down, "Toyota"

6. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If the battery already has several dealer run downs till dead events, your NEW may already be SHOT! You might have to insist on a NEW battery if this kind of not holding a charge thing keeps up!
    Personally, I just dump the 88 dollar OEM battery and buy a Optima now and not worry about it for many years to come!

7. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The guys above have pretty much covered it if it is indeed the battery. Try researching this topic in the GenII forums. Many of us have replaced the OEM battery after weakening it by repeated full discharges. There are also reports of new GenIII cars having problems. We then started to hear reports from knowledgeable Prius owners who would visit dealerships and observe display cars with lights on and doors open for long periods of time without an external power source or the engine being on. The problem is the dealers, not the car or Toyota. :)

Feel secure in your purchase. You made a great choice. Stick around this forum learn more about the car so the dealership won't rob you blind in the future.

1 person likes this.
  8. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Double post

9. Gman92

Gman92 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Thank you all very much for your advice and suggestions, it is very much appreciated.

I looked online at optima batteries, does anyone know which model would be used in the Prius V, there seems to be several types.

10. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There does not seem to be one identified yet for the V. Toyota's battery is perfectly adequate. If the seller stores and charges it correctly just before installation (and if the buyer doesn't kill it) it should last for four years or more.

11. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh boy. If my new $30K ride didn't start after 1 week of use, I'd be livid.

Regardless of cause, Toyota and its dealerships should be bending over backwards to solve your issue, pronto. Especially since it's a hybrid and a new model to boot.

Give them hell.

12. mattheikkila

mattheikkila New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Did you try pressing that little round button on the dash?

13. Gman92

Gman92 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    I do not see any red button in my car, but a boost started it right away.

I dealer thinks the 12v battery is bad and will install a new one on Monday.

My salesman also said that a hybrid should always be plugged in with the block heater in the winter but he didn't say that before I bought the car.

Is that true? Does anyone know?

14. HaveNoCents

HaveNoCents Conservative Tree Hugger

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Pure bullsh*t.

iPad ?

15. rebenson

rebenson Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    that's good dealer is replacing battery.

regarding the core heater, is the salesman interesting to install for you for $100?
    I just had one installed in my vehicle (that's probably why it's been unseasonably warm for Chicago)... I did have to have my car jumped once (not fun experience for 1st time especially in a hyprid like Prius). I have not had an issue since that occurred end of 2010 and I bought vehicel in 2010...

16. LulzChicken

LulzChicken Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Absolutely not true. Your salesman and dealership seems extremely un-informed. Always ask here on PC before you do anything.

1 person likes this.
  17. Gman92

Gman92 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    I didn't think that was true, seemed like a load of bull to me. I actually have a block heater installed on my Prius V, but my parking spot at my apartment building doesn't have an outlet near by to plug it in.

I think once I have a good reliable battery installed I should be fine.

18. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For hardcore competitive hypermilers, this is true of any car, not just hybrids.

For ordinary drivers, it is not true. Use the normal practice of nonhybrids in your climate as a guide.

ericw28 and Gman92 like this.
  19. TruSound

TruSound Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I just purchased a v3 a few days ago, the battery was dead when the salesman attempted to start it, he claimed that various employees frequently left doors open, lights on and a few other BS stories, including 30 thousand a month in battery replacement costs for the dealership, gotta good laugh with that one, especially when I told him the profit from the $495.00 wheel locks you add to the sticker price should cover it...who knows, anyway, they jump started it and no problems during the first 250 miles.

By the way...if anyone is worried about their stock Prius wheels being stolen I'll sell you these genuine Toyota $ 495.00 wheel locks for 20 bucks, when I left the dealership I told the salesman he forgot to remove the locks...he responded, it's ok you can have um.

20. martyarty

martyarty New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Re: 1 week old Prius V won't start A new member today w/question

I am a new member. Picking up my new V today or tomorrow. I am concerned about the battery. I hope the battery has not be drained several times by sitting on dealer's lot. Would be best to drive it say an interstate to fully charge it? Since I am a female and not techincally inclined. Traded a 2006 Nissan Pathfinder so this is going to be a new experience for me. I just don't want to get stranded.