1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

10,000 service

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by eveyo, May 18, 2020.

1. eveyo

eveyo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hey guys. I'm reaching 10,000 miles on my 2019 prime. At this point are they just rotating tires and doing an oil change? I know its free during the 2 years 25k. Would you guys hold off some from your experience? I do drive about 50 miles a day with about 10 to 15 miles on ev. Just wanted your take during the corona virus precautions and minimizing exposure. Thanks guys.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no biggie, i would hold off until you feel safe.

Randi likes this.
  3. Hicksite

Hicksite Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    You might want to consider possible warranty ramifications if you exceed the required service interval.

4. eatriceyo

eatriceyo Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    along with rotating the tires and oil change, they're also topping off fluids and making sure everything is tight. might as well get it done since there's less people at the dealership right now.

5. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    1) A lot of dealers are taking extra precautions for the virus, so I would check with the service department you would use and find out what they are doing. I would not hesitate to service my car on time just because of the virus as long as the dealer is taking precautions. And if they are not taking precautions, I would report them to the county health department. All business that are open now should be taking precautions. 2) I would not exceed the 10K mile limit on the oil change. You're using the ICE every day during your commute (50 miles), so the oil is being used to run the ICE almost as much as the standard Prius Hybrid. I'm also wondering why you bought the Prime in the first place with that kind of driving profile? You're really not taking advantage of the Prime's EV mode with that driving profile.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That sounds plausible, but what fluids?

Brake fluid should not be touched. FWIW at 10K miles it's probably right where it was when the car rolled out of the factory, but even if it's a mm down: brake fluid level is meant to drop, as the pads wear. Topping it up just risks overflow when the pads are eventually replaced, a long ways down the road.

Same thing for the two coolant reservoirs: they will not have budged. In 3~4 years they may, a bit. You can buy the spec'd. coolant at the parts counter.

Washer fluid? Nobody should be paying a mechanic to top that up.

Make sure everything is tight? That's actually a very tall order. There is a stipulation in the schedule, to occasionally check suspension bolt torques. But even the Repair Manual doesn't give a clear instruction. And it is really pointless, unless you've hit a curb or something.

They're going to change the oil and filter, rotate the tires, that's all. If they top up fluids it's just to make an impression, mostly pointless.

7. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yes, but...the fluid levels need to be looked at to know that there isn't a leak.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not a Toyota dealer, but I recently had my other car serviced at a local shop for annual inspection. They seems to do better job cleaning and disinfecting after the service. I did not have to use it, but they even offer pick up and drop off service, so customer does not have to drive to their location and wait outside (waiting room is closed). You may get better service now than waiting at later days.