1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

10 K Oil Change Interval?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by romad, Oct 10, 2017.

1. romad

romad 2004 Prīus Base Former Owner (Sold 13 May 22)

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I received an email from GasBuddy.com today talking about extending OCIs. This got me to wondering why Toyota says 5K with either dino or synthetic oil while the other manufacturers go 10K or 20K using synthetic. My 2005 (actually a 2004 with only cosmetic changes) VW Jetta TDI has a 10K interval using 5W-40 synthetic. So does anyone know why the 2004 Prius is 5K even with synthetic, other than just to increase Toyota profits? It has a smaller, lighter duty ICE than the Jetta.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ici's are mostly marketing tools, to compete with other manufacturers.
    unfortunately, the only way to know the best thing to do for your car is an used oil analysis.
    toyota changed the oil recommendation to synthetic in the gen 3, and the oct to 10k.
    we have knowledgable members here who feel that 10k is leading to early wear and oil burning starting around 100k. so they are doing 5k changes.
    erring on the side of caution i suppose, but there's not much scientific evidence either way.

m.wynn and mmmodem like this.
  3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Gen2 has 5k, Gen3 has 10k but both engines are known for oil consumption after 100k miles. The difference? With the Gen2, you've spent twice as much money on oil changes. :oops:

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    actually, a synthetic oil change is quite a bit more expensive.

5. romad

romad 2004 Prīus Base Former Owner (Sold 13 May 22)

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    True, they are more expensive but not TWICE as expensive (unless you've been using the cheapest off-brand dino oil you could find).

pilotgrrl and bisco like this.
  6. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That is quite a silly assumption as dealers get almost zero PM work on the brands they sell, it is mostly done DIY or by a far more convenient shop. I think the NADA puts the OE dealers share of wallet for maintenance items at well below 20%.

OCI has more to do with oil capacity and fuel consumed during the interval than most anything else. The reason is simple: The smaller the oil volume the faster it becomes contaminated. In the case of the Prius, there is a VERY small sump and filter.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I must have "the goose that laid the golden egg" deal up here: $4.50 (Canadian dollars, roughly $3.73 American) per liter for bulk Toyota 0W20 synthetic, or $5.91 for bottled. Through a dealership. The damn drain bolt washer is up to $2.53 though...

8. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    An oil change for my 2012 synthetic costs me more than twice as much versus my 2005 dino. I can get coupons for dino oil changes for $25. It runs $80 for synthetic oil in my area. Hence, I started buying the cheapest off brand garbage on Amazon and do it myself.

Anyway, I've been doing 7500 mile OCI on 1992 Honda Accord with no ill effects past 200k miles. Ditto on a 1998 Toyota Corolla part 200k recommended by the owners manual. That's why I was surprised Toyota regressed on my 2006 Corolla and Prius to 5000. I also did 10k on dino on my 2006 Civic using maintenance minder. So 10k OCI is absolutely fine by me.

All cars burn oil. A car that burns half a quart may not be noticed at 5000 miles. But at 10k it would be over a quart. This forum warned me that Prius tends to burn oil past 100k. My speculation is the reason is more a doubling of the OCI than a Prius actually burning oil. So far both of my Prius at over 135k miles exhibit negligible oil burning. Super lucky or small sample size?

bisco likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    same here, i'm over $85. and yes if you diy, you can narrow the gap significantly.

mmmodem likes this.
  10. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Maybe next time you cross into the US, pick-up a lot of drain plug washers? OR, if someone from the US will be visiting you, order the drain plug washers online, and have them shipped to the person in the US?

Prices in USD.
    Camelback Toyota, $0.95/washer, 2007 Toyota Prius Parts - Camelback Toyota Parts - Genuine OEM Parts - Free Shipping
    Toyota parts e-store, $1.01/washer,
    Amazon; some are non OEM, but should work, some OEM. prices all over the place, but a little over $1/washer. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dautomotive&field-keywords=toyota+oil+drain+plug+gaket

If you really wanted to stretch your washer use, you could use it twice. After the first change, flip the washer over, then tighten. Some friends do this and have had no leak issues so far. To prevent a 3rd use, before flipping the crush washer over, clean the washer and use a sharpie to put a mark on the washer side that just faced the oil pan. When the oil gets changed next, you will know you can't flip this crush washer because of the sharpie mark.

11. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Since you will be DIY, might as well get the better stuff, for the same cost of a few dollars more than the cheap stuff.

Use flip.com, or theit phone/tablet application, to search sale circulars for items you are interested in buying. You can request stores/websites be added, that flip does not list/search.
    Here's an example of a search for "Mobil 1". You can see WrongMart has it for $22.88/5qt jug.
    Flipp

Don't forget, Mobil 1, seems to always have some rebate promotion running. Although the rebates always have restrictions and approved participating retailers, you can always contact the people email/phone to see if Walmart, Costco, PepBoys, etc would be allowed. When fatwallet.com was running, people would post Mobil 1 sales and the results of their rebate submissions with retailers who were not on the approved list for the promotion.

mmmodem likes this.