1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

$10 per gal gas....a cool article

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by JBJAG, Jun 7, 2006.

1. ServoScanMan

ServoScanMan Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Maybe our state governments could have a progressive gas guzzler tax for vehicles that get poor mileage starting in 2008. Ex: less than 40mpg = $2,000/year. Less than 30mpg = $5,000/year. Less than 20mpg = $20,000/year. The rich will always be able to afford their play toys. So if they can afford it, let them. Just have them donate money to our roads, education, and energy solutions.

As my wife said, "At least we can still buy gas". Just think if there was no gas to be bought. :(

2. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jimmyhua @ Jun 13 2006, 06:40 AM) [snapback]270432[/snapback]</div>
    Don't forget about the water. Sugar Cane is a much more efficient source for ethanol than corn is, but requires much more water. It rains a lot in Brazil, but the midwestern US irrigates from Aquifers, mostly from the Ogallala, which is rapidly shrinking. Sugar Cane has never done well in the US; most domestic sugar comes from Sugar Beets.

Nate

3. jmann

jmann Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    it is still less expensive than water.

4. sdsteve

sdsteve New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ServoScanMan @ Jun 13 2006, 10:40 AM) [snapback]270602[/snapback]</div>
    I love this too, except that in CA we have a law that states any new taxes need public approval (i.e. a vote). It would never fly. I think one way around that would be changing the way that DMV does registration fees (currently based on the cost of the car with a declining percentage as the car gets older) to be based off of milage. This way it's not a "tax" and wouldn't need public approval.

5. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clarkeb @ Jun 7 2006, 04:52 PM) [snapback]267555[/snapback]</div>
    Agreed. Even in South America, it's about $2.50 per liter. That's $9.50 a gallon.

No wonder South America has Fiats and Renaults 1.8s and 2.0s

6. gh4chiefs

gh4chiefs New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kimgh @ Jun 7 2006, 06:51 PM) [snapback]267534[/snapback]</div>
    Amen, that article makes me shudder. :eek:

7. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

I would settle for this congress repealing the SUV Gas Guzzler Tax exemption.

8. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< I note the OP and many in this thread appear to be non-Prius owners. Allow me to paraphrase:

"Let him with a Prius cast the first stone."

WARNING: DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS

9. jgills240

jgills240 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hippie tree-huggers like myself had a fix for getting off of gasoline, from GM no less - The EV1. It also would have helped get the US off of it's gasoline addiction, and when gasoline goes over $4/gal this summer (for sure in CA, considering I just paid $3.10 for 87 octane yesterday) the consumer would have had an alternative to work with. It's success would have driven other manufacturers to develop EVs or PHEVs much quicker than they are now, and if CA hadn't been sued into repealing the ZEV Mandate, Los Angeles would already be on its way to being a much cleaner city (smogwise). Without an easily attainable electric car, the US wouldn't survive $10/gal. With one, we will. What happened to the EV1? GM wanted to keep selling guzzlers, Oil Companies can smash any anti-gas movement with the signing of a check, and Bush supported both. How is the desire to get the US off gasoline and onto EVs anti-american? (I'm a tree-hugger, and that's what I desire; apparently all tree-huggers are anti-american and filled with guilt. Just so you can follow the logic presented in earlier posts.)

10. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    A couple of years ago I paid the US equivalent of $8 a gallon for diesel (gazoil) in France. I didn't see much difference in traffic, highway congestion, smog, etc. There were fewer monster trucks and SUVs, though I saw a few. Human beings are creative and adaptable, yet resistant to change, no matter what the "real" costs are. Good luck with your $10 idea.

11. jiepsie

jiepsie New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(silentak1 @ Jul 1 2006, 05:34 PM) [snapback]279685[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, South America is full of Toyotas in all shapes and sizes, except for countries that produce their own (Brazil) or with tight links to Europe (French Guyana). Most of the rest are Toyotaland.