1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

'10 Prius handles great in emergency...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by tedjohnson, Dec 12, 2010.

1. tedjohnson

tedjohnson Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    So, it is 12/11 at 7 am driving along a 55 mph 2 lane highway, when I start to see slide marks in the thin, almost unseeable icy coating on the road. Then a van is parked in the middle grassy area from a skid and an ambulance & Police are there. Next another car is against the guardrails on the right, this convinces me to slow down to 45 and join a group of 4 cars poking carefully along. This being a new car to me (got it in May), I had not gotten a chance to throw it into skids and practice ice driving yet, so I figure take it easy till I know the car better. FWD, brand new Blizzaks, lots of weight in the car ( Xmas tree and a pile of firewood) . Still people are having trouble yet the Prius seems solid on the ground. A big white 4 WD pickup comes up behind me, speeding like those brain deads do - he pulls out and passes me then steps on it spins out into the median, then fishtails across my side 2 lanes, smashes into the guardrail on the right and bounces off back into the righthand lane where I am attempting to slow as fast as I can without throwing the Prius into a skid (ABS works great !). I see there is no way I can stop without hitting his still sliding truck , so I cut the wheels sharply to the left and press the gas pedal to have the front wheels pull me around his vehicle - visualizing a crunched right fender and damaged right side as I would be scraping along his truck side. To my amazement ....No Crunch, No Bump, No Anything - the Prius handled perfectly missed him by an inch as he continued sliding out into the passing lane. What a great car !!!!!! Lucky me :)

2. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The problem with idiots with 4WD is they don't realize they have the same 4 wheel brakes and tires the rest of the world have, and driving like a fool is equally dangerous regardless if you have 4WD or not. 4 wheel go means nothing if you can't stop...

3. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Good Driving Ted !

4. hpartsch

hpartsch Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    nice, well not for the other guy.

He probally also did not have stability control like you do, I think a car with stability control can outperform any fwd non stability control vehicle, especially in sliding condition as you described.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm requesting the removel of these scary near fatal prius accident threads.:rolleyes:

6. boppo

boppo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    :rockon:

7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I think this is a 'scary near fender bender' thread but we can't be too protected from distressing sheet metal bending. :banplease:

8. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    tedjohnson,

How much of your ability to go zigging and zagging on the slippery
    stuff would you attribute to the Blizzaks?

Just wondering how they helped. I've got a set on extra rims, but
    thankfully no reason to mount them in Ballamer... yet. :rolleyes:

9. tedjohnson

tedjohnson Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Not sure, but I know they sure helped... Ted

10. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You can credit the the good handling Prius to your Blizzaks plain and simple.:cheer2: H

11. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    :rockon:

The only thing that would make your story better: "I rolled down the window and gave him a one finger salute as I passed by."

12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would say, a lot of it. My half-worn-out OEM Ecopias were terrible in Seattle's recent snow, and would not have successfully pulled off this maneuver.

But I was quite happy with how the ABS/TC/VSC made excellent use of what little traction was available.

13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good thinking (quick too I suppose) on your side. I would have never have thought to step on the accelerator as I attempt to go around him. I would've either continued braking or release the pedal slightly in an attempt to give more traction to the wheels to turn the car instead of brake.

1 person likes this.
  14. Penny's Dad

Penny's Dad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thin sheet of ice on road??? I don't understand....

15. Beauregard

Beauregard Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    You practiced a critical element of emergency performance driving.
    You're often times much better off to drive around a hazard that to try and stop short of it.
    The trick here is in your vision. Look at where you want to go, not at what you're trying to avoid.
    Quickly move your eyes to an escape route, and steer through the danger zone in a fluid motion.
    The inexperienced and untrained tend to look right at the hazard with wide eyes and lock up the brakes, usually resulting in a collision. Trained drivers will always be thinking of escape routes and won't pin themselves in. This means always being aware of the traffic and roadway lanes around you. It's basic driver training for emergency responders.

1 person likes this.
  16. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've been in a few close calls in my Prius where I had to swerve and accelerate. Nicely done. Welcome to the cluuubbb.

1 person likes this.
  17. tedjohnson

tedjohnson Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    It was strange.. like a light snow had fallen and just coated the tops of tiny bumps of the tar, and it did not look icy but sure was - fooled a lot of drivers.

1 person likes this.
  18. Ted in Olympia

Ted in Olympia New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would say this was 35% Prius and 65% good defensive driving. The main thing is that you slowed down and looked for trouble before it started. Great Job!

The week I got my Prius I had a deer run right out in front of me and I got to admit the brakes/ABS worked great; neither the deer or the Prius got hurt.

TED

19. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Smart move to slow down early. The VSC on the Prius can make it hard to really appreciate how slippery the conditions have become. You don't get a lot of the early warning squirrelliness that we had with older cars. It's a good thing, but something your need to appreciate.

As for the tires verses VSC debate, both contribute to good winter handling. With bad tires, there isn't much VSC can do to help. The tires are the only thing that generates friction with the road. Without friction, you are no longer driving, you are just along for the ride.

Tom

20. Penny's Dad

Penny's Dad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was actually pointing out that it would be very rare to actually see any ice on the road where I live...that said I appreciate the clarificaiton because if for some reason I ever did have to drive on an Icy road I would be very ill prepared. You cold weather people certainly have skills that I have never had a chance to develop. On the other hand I can cool down a 130 degree interior in 5 mins.