1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

100,000 and counting

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by SimplySandy, Oct 25, 2015.

1. SimplySandy

SimplySandy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Going in on Sunday and getting an oil change and the coolant change they say they do the coolant and the inverter at the same time which I hope is true the next thing I will get is the transaxle.

Anybody know what the transaxle change will cost me via the dealer

2. Sporin

Sporin Prius Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm at 106k on my 2010 and just made the last payment. (y)

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The fluid's under $40 retail, and it's about 1/2 hour labour, especially with a lift, very simple chore. Shouldn't cost over $100.

If they're saying numbers a lot higher, and talking about operating temperature, Techstream, blue meanies or whatever, walk away, they're clueless.

CR94 likes this.
  4. SimplySandy

SimplySandy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks will keep that in mind

5. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The most common response to a request for transaxle fluid change seems to be "it's not needed, the fluid is lifetime". Again, if they dig in their heels on that stance, time to look elsewhere. If you have the wherewithal for a DIY oil change, you CAN do the transaxle fluid change.

Robert Holt likes this.
  6. SimplySandy

SimplySandy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    About 104,000 now when I took it to the dealer all they did was an air filter and a oil change and engine and AC filter I might have to look around to see if someone can take care of my rest of my needs I did find out for changing the coolant at the dealer it's $89 but that's just for the front and it's $109 for the back battery

7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That (hopefully) means $89 to change engine coolant and $109 for inverter. That's very reasonable; wonder if it included coolant cost or that would be extra. Almost too good, as in they've not done a Prius coolant change, don't know much about it.

Maybe ask a few more dealerships, just to get more of s sense of the competence for this service in the area.