1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

100,000 Mile Club

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by efusco, Mar 6, 2007.

1. bojojohn

bojojohn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Hi!! My Silver 2004 package 7 just passed the 100,000 mark! It's at 100,700 actually. Bought it used in 2006 (no govt credit for me:() with 13,000 miles on it, so I can only claim 87,000 of those in the past 3 years.

I've had to replace the main computer during a trip through Chicago in the summer of 2008, and the nav screen due to a malfunction. I've had one accident in it (no fault) and had to replace the front axel. But I have NOT had to replace the battery!! haha!

I love my car and want to upgrade someday in the future to the 3rd generation but I'll wait until some of those snafus are out of it.

2. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    JUst passed 130,000 on the way to 250,000+. I'll probably do some major checks and replacements at the 150K level. 'Til now I've only done the minimum specified maintenance of dino every 5K mi ( every 7 weeks ), engine and cabin air filters every 30K miles, inverter coolant at about 105K. I'm due for new plugs right now but there's no rush IMO, maybe at 150K when I do a more extensive service.

5 accidents, cracked windshield, cracked lower fascia, broke two wheels hitting a curb at 50 mph, hit by a deer and then by another driver.

No rattles and no creaks of any kind and it still gets 46-51 mpg every single day. Everything inside works the same as the day I sold it to myself. I probably will miss the new Gen 3's but I may buy a used Gen 3 in 4-5 yrs.

3. elendilmir

elendilmir Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    105,000 or so on my 2002. I bought my Prius back in '02 because I wanted to demonstrate that there was a market for this technology. It sounds crazy now, but in 02 nobody had heard of these things.

I had a problem with a faulty error code being sent during which I kept getting the triangle of death logo needlessly. The dealership cleared the codes and replaced the faulty unit under warentee. I had the mass air sensor give out on me at about 95,000 miles, at which time I found that if the gas engine won't start, the electric will, and it'll go about 3 miles before it conks out. Set me back about $600, and I had to take care of that one.

I've been getting about 44 mpg lately, living in the foothills of the Allegheney mountains. I tend to get better mileage in the summer than the winter. The car has been a trooper for me, with no other real problems. I am glad that gen II and III have gone to being hatchbacks, although I think that the solar roof thing is a silly marketing gimmick.

I am thinking about trading it in sometime soon, as I have worries about the main battery pack, although I have had no reasons to question it. I am sure that the gen 1 battery pack issues are discussed in detail somewhere. Comments are welcome.

4. Genoz World

Genoz World ZEN-style living

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    i've learned a lot from this. Thanks for your input. cheers!

5. M8s

M8s Retired and Lovin' It

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Why did you have 5 accidents? That's oine every 26k miles. Is there a common cause? I.e., is the car more "invisible" than most; do you often drive in heavy traffic or in low light situations; live around many young and inexperienced (or old and inattentive) drivers; or is there some other commonality to them? I'm just trying to gather info, not trying to point the finger.

6. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

To me accidents are a function of miles driven. The more miles driven the more chance there is of an accident happening. My five 'events' or accidents...
    1. a broken windshield...bad luck
    2. a deer ran into the side of my car...bad luck
    3. a 5 gal pail fell off a work truck right in front of me...bad luck
    4. I was going too fast around a corner on an exit ramp hit the curb and broke two wheels...bad driving
    5. a woman hit me in a residential neighborhood because she was going too fast around a corner..my bad luck, her bad driving.
    The windshield and 5 gal pail are really bad luck but just a matter of time for most people. The deer accident is a function of driving through a rural area at night - every night. The investigating trooper said that he and his colleagues normally get hit or hit deer 2 to 3 times per year in our area. It's a big problem.

However since my previous post..
    ....6. Another driver hit and killed a deer in the same stretch of road and the corpse ended up in the middle of my lane later that evening. I ran over it and dented my gas tank.

7. M8s

M8s Retired and Lovin' It

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Thanks for the info. Most of those incidents seem to be true unavoidable accidents. At any rate, I can't see where the fact that you were driving a Prius contributed to it.
    Ever since I started riding motorcycles, I care a lot more whether I am as attentive as I can be on the road. Stated differently, I don't expect other drivers to be as attentive as me. So, if there were something about the Prius that makes you more of a target (or less visible), which is the way you feel riding a motorcycle, I want to be prepared.

8. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

As I was driving to work today I realized that I have another 'risk' factor in my driving which has nothing to do with whatever vehicle I'm driving. In the AM going to work it's always daylight. It's easier to see obstructions and deer and other risks...in addition deer aren't normally about in daylight.

In the PM I'm almost always going home between 9 and 11. It's always dark and the deer are all over the place...often small 'herds' are feeding 5-10 feet off the road. There's just more risk of hitting a live or dead animal at that time of day. In addition 'junk' in the road is simply harder to see on unlit rural roads.

9. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just turned 100,000 last night on the way home for an awesome Halloween event! Then my friend promptly got sick in the car. What a way to celebrate the acheivment. lol

To date I have performed 1 repair on the Prius. That burned out tail light bulb cost me $0.89. :D

10. Jimmie84

Jimmie84 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Did he clean it up?

11. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    He is still sleeping it off but we'll trade cars and he is going to have the interior fully detailed tomorrow. Till then I'm staying home or walking where I need to go. lol

12. orange4boy

orange4boy Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    104 000 miles and 6000 owners. That's what I get for buying an ex Co-op car. It's in remarkably good shape other than the fried transaxle that drained after a minor accident ripped a hole in the sump. I have put about 45 feet on it so far rolling it onto the trailer and then into my carport.

Repair receipts show an ECU under warranty, Replace inverter coolant pump, Replace front door lock motor. Replace 1 cylinder ignition coil. Oh, and two lead acid batteries. Total bill: $1450.

Now it's my turn.

13. guru_del

guru_del New Member

2001 prius, i bought it in 2004 with 50K on it. Since then i have racked it up to 178,000.

Replaced 12v battery
    Changed brakes once
    changed oil every 3500
    changed wipers twice
    changed tires once

I drive 55 miles each way to work 5 days a week. I get around 45 mpg. Front windshield looks like it has taken a grenade, front bumpers are shot too from road trash. But still got the HOV stickers on em.

Major complains is the stereo, the seats suck for those of us over 200lbs and 6' tall and the paint comes off really easy (front of the car looks sand blasted).

14. jesse

jesse priusinging

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    :cool::cool::cool:

hi i have a 2008 prius.160,000 miles.its loaded navigation system leather loaded, all its working like new,oil change,filter,one time sparkplugs,same brake pads,aah almost forget need tires for this winter....bye i have to go..and drive my prius a litle more.

15. jesse

jesse priusinging

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    hi i have a 2008 prius.160,000 miles.its loaded navigation system leather loaded, all its working like new,oil change,filter,one time sparkplugs,same brake pads,aah almost forget need tires for this winter....bye i have to go..and drive my prius a litle more.

16. devprius

devprius /dev/geek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My 2005 Prius will be 5 years old on Sunday. 114K miles and still going strong. I think I crossed the 100K mark back in April. All I've had to do is regular maintenance and the occasional TSB. I'm now on my third set of tires. I actually managed to get nearly 60k out of the stock Intergrities. Unfortunately, the Continental ContiPros that I put on after the Integritiies only lasted 54K. I just put on GoodYear's Assurance Fuel Maxes that will hopefully last at least 60K.

I have absolutley no regrets buying this car. It's performed great. I've taken it to Tahoe on numerous ocassions, lots of trips to Los Angeles (and beyond). It's been up (and down) the grapevine with no problems and no lack of speed or power going up that hill. I've been known to pass people on I5 at 85 or more.

I anticipate that I'll still be driving this car in 4 or 5 years. I tend to keep my cars as long as possible. I had my RAV4 for 8.5 years before replacing it with the Prius. I do have to say that the new generation Prius is very tempting. Love the new console and display. And I really like the solar roof option. Hopefully it'll still be an option (or standard) in 2014.

17. terry2u

terry2u New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    109,000 on mine, but, several computer problems popped up. Had several recall notices on it. Nav system went out at 90,000 mi. Dealer had to replace entire Nav/radio system. Luckly, i had the extended warranty on it, or it would have cost me alot of money ($5000) to get it replaced. Only set me back $100.

18. bambi

bambi New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Mine is a 2005. Just about to turn 106,000 miles. Only repairs so far have been one clogged fuel injector, replace 12 volt battery, and replace 2 Fuse Box Relays. (wipers and tires of course, but I'm fine with another set of Integrities.) Being in a northern climate, I use Nokia snows in the winter. The car has held up great, runs like new.

19. devprius

devprius /dev/geek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Today I brought my Prius in for an oil change, engine & inverter coolant change, and a new water pump (they said it was starting to leak). Since it was going to take several hours, and I had to get to work, they put me in a rental. It's a top of the line 2010 Prius V. Now I'm *really* tempted...

And I now have to keep the car an extra day since the water-pump had to be ordered...

20. JMalmsteen

JMalmsteen I love my Prius!

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    2007 Prius with 126k miles. I bought the car with 3k. I commuted a hundred miles a day for work for a year, and every weekend we go from Long Island to Lancaster Country, PA. We also make a trip to Florida a few times a year as well as other locations that are pretty far from us. The only problem that I have had is that I had to replace the rear shocks. Other than that, I've changed the spark plugs, changed the oil, that's really about it.
    By the way, if anyone is aware of general maintenance that should be done once the car reaches this high a mileage, please let me know. The service manual really doesn't explain what needs to be done past this point.
    I love the prius as far as its reliability, gas mileage, and low maintenance costs. But, I'm into muscle cars, so my 8 mpg 78 trans am cancels this out :eek:)