1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

100,000 Mile Club

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by efusco, Mar 6, 2007.

1. smhennes

smhennes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    2007 Prius, Backup Camera/JBL/Bluetooth/keyless package! Just hit 100,000 miles in almost exactly 4 years. I have had NO issues with my vehicle! I have had to replace a few light bulbs, tires, and a full tank every week! Toyota has never services my vehicle, all oil changes were done at my local Firestone at 6k intervals, along with tire rotations each 6k as well. I purchased the lifetime alignment, that is performed every 12k. Thats it! No recalls have been performed on my vehicle, figured at this time, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Will think again about it with the new water pump recall.

Replaced the Cabin filter once, and using a K&N Air filter, so only 1 of those too.

Just had the recalls completed today, had oil changed last week and they told me that I had coolant on my water pump, said it might be leaking/seals failing, so I exercised my right to have it replaced for free under the recall notice. I will update if the vehicle seems to be at all different. Not bad timing either, I wanted to have the coolant flushed/replaced anyway. Thanks Toyota!

2. DGH

DGH Thread Terminator

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Four years and three months to reach 100K.
    Used the extended warranty for $3500.00 in repairs.
    Had a mouse family living in the airbox last summer.
    Hopefully all openings are now screened off.
    I use a lot of external payloads so my mileage suffers.
    Lots of rattles in cold weather.
    Traction control IS too sensitive in the snow.
    Have spent more $ on much lesser cars.
    When I can get a Prius wagon or something a bit larger than the current model I will buy it.
    Four and a half out of five stars.

3. Thesoberwalker

Thesoberwalker New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Googled "Prius 100k mi" to see what would come up. Found this site and thread, so thought I'd put my two cents in. I bought my 05 Prius in June of 2010 with 85k mi on it. I had always wanted one, but could never afford them new. This was a one-owner old lady car from Florida. It still smelled new when I bought it. I use it for deliveries for a catering service and love the spacious back cargo room plus 45 (driving gently in good weather) mpg. It now has 95k mi, and due to the cold weather, around 38 mpg. The motor runs for a while to keep the heat warm. I know the battery warranty is about to expire (100k) and I worry. Love the way it drives and the layout. Definitely not slow like I thought it would be. I'm hoping Toyota's reputation will hold up and it will have no trouble getting to 150-160k. When I drive normal (Massachusetts-style) the mileage is 40-43 mpg in average/summer weather. Also impressed with how long the A/C will run in miserable Southern summers without the motor kicking on. :)

4. Thesoberwalker

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Also, perhaps I'm being a hypochondriac, but recently I feel like the gasoline motor has been kicking in prematurely. I've been driving gently. As soon as I put my foot on the gas, or soon after, it's on. (I don't think this has to do with the heat; the motor has had time to warm up when this occurs) Previously, the gas motor would kick in between 15-20 mph, only sooner when the battery was low (on the monitor; not the case in these situations). There are no warning lights on. Should I be concerned? How does one know when it's time to replace a battery? This is the 2005 Prius with 95k mi I talked about above.

5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I assume you are worried about your 12volt auxiliary battery and not you hybrid battery. Your complaint would lead me to think you may have a dying 12v battery. A faulty battery that cannot sustain a charge will require the ICE to run more frequently to try and maintain a charge. A failing hybrid battery could do the same but you would also likely notice the bars on your hybrid battery display going from full to low charge erratically and a severe drop in mpg. More so than a failing 12v battery anyway. I suggest using the search function on this forum for more help. :)

1 person likes this.
  6. Thesoberwalker

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    F8L, the advice is appreciated! I'll look into it.

7. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good luck and welcome to Prius Chat! :)

8. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Thesoberwalker,

Has it been unusally cold in Nashville since you have owned the Prius?

The hybrid battery varies in power with temperature. This is all calibrated in the computers. As you accelerate in EV, the computers keep updating required power based on the road load, aero-drag, and requested acceleration. Depending on the battery temp, the battery computer will say Nope, no more, and then the engine computer says, "OK, I will supply the extra power the driver wants".

The battery has about 30 HP at room temp, and about 10 HP below 10 F. So, as the weather gets colder, what speed the car will turn on the engine will get lower and lower.

SO, what you are noticing has no bearing on any indication of battery life.

Typically, what happens when the hybrid traction battery needs replacement, is the SOC (State of Charge) will vary much much quicker, both up and down, with the operation of the car. Eventually, an imbalance between the cells will develop, and the computer wont let the car run, or it will become unreliable.

I have a friend with a 2006, that just threw its first fault code at 180 K miles. He drives allot of highway miles. Most likely this is something to do with the sparkplugs, or PCV valve, or throttle body being dirty. The Hybrid battery is way down the list in the order things wear out, or need service.

Oh, I would not accellerate on battery like you mention. Use the engine sooner, get up to speed, and use the battery for maintaining speed at low speed, or cresting a hill. Using the battery for accelleration is very tough on it. And is best used only for like parking lot maneuvers. The Prius is a hybrid, not an EV, and the electric system is not sized large enough for the high power needed for acceleration....

9. shidanam

shidanam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I own a 2005 Prius , has over 201 k , drive over 150 miles a day for over 5 years
    I have been replacing my headlights so many times i can not remember ( more than 20 times left and right side)
    My wife also has a Prius 2007 Touring edition, (98k mile) it has the same problem with the headlight, very hard to replace light, it is different from the Prius 2005.
    Does anybody know?
    Thanks! Eugene C

10. shidanam

shidanam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I own a 2005 Prius , has over 201 k , drive over 150 miles a day for over 5 years
    I have been replacing my headlights so many times i can not remember ( more than 20 times left and right side)
    My wife also has a Prius 2007 Touring edition, (98k mile) it has the same problem with the headlight, very hard to replace light, it is different from the Prius 2005.
    Does anybody know?
    Thanks! Eugene C

11. Thesoberwalker

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, donee, thanks! I always thought I was doing the environment a favor by prolonging the EV mode, but I'll just drive normal from now on.

And yes it has been unseasonably cold here recently. I did the battery voltage check just today as mentioned in the directions in another thread on the site. Everything was normal. But now I know it's the weather.

12. Tollehouse

Tollehouse Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have 102000 miles on my Prius. We bought it in June 2006. Drove it all over the country. Hit 100 mph several times with no problems. All I have done is change the oil, filter and cabin filter a couple of times. First set of tires lasted 75K I still have the original brakes and about 40% of the linings. I am averaging 44.7 mpg. I love it. Now I think I may have to show it some respect with some maintenance.

13. pwrstick

pwrstick Junior Member

I've got ~126k on my '05 Prius (model with the sat/nav). Currently everything is functioning within normal parameters.

I've had to do the following (omitting things like tires)
    • Replace the 12v battery (left headlights on two times)
    • Replace various light bulbs (indicators, brakes, license plate) several times
    • Replace ignition coil and spark plugs due to moisture getting in. There's a Technical Services Bulletin (TSB) for this
    • Replaced the engine coolant pump (not the recall one yet)

One of my headlights will turn off from time to time, and I reset it with an all off/on.

This is my first new car, so I can't really compare. So far it seems like it's done really well (other than the moisture in the ignition coil).

14. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I was hoping to make the 200,000 club, but icy roads messed with my plans. My black beauty is totaled. 4 1/2 years, 116,000 miles (give or take). Lifetime MPG around 54. <sigh>

15. dalenag1

dalenag1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    2004 Prius
    126,000 + miles

Replaced:
    Touch screen (at about 70,000 miles)
    Tail lights (It seems like a tail light goes out every 20,000 miles)
    Head light
    Tires (four sets - three in the first 60,000 miles including two "50,000" mile sets from Les Schwab)
    Windshield (baseball injury)
    Drive belt (at 120,000 miles)

I average around 35-40 mpg, depending on the weather.

I love my car today as much as I did the first minute I owned it.

16. longbow

longbow Recovering SUV Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    shidanam, I have a 2008 model and just rolled 140K yesterday. I bought it new on Valentines day 2008. I have replaced each front bulb once. Pricey items. I would be talking to my dealer if I was replacing them so often. I do a lot of night driving too so mine are getting a lot of use.

17. nu2prius

nu2prius nu2prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just passed 101,000. 2007 Prius Touring. We drive to KC 4-6 times a week for soccer, and the car has been great. Just ordered a set of Nokian WR G2's, to replace the crappy B.Stone G019 Grids...noisiest tires I have ever owned, and mileage dropped by 4mpg from previous Nokians...

Added an '07 Highlander hybrid to the fleet, too. Hopefully, no inverter problems will occur!

What a car!

18. redhorses

redhorses New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    2005. 123,000 miles. Daily commute is 75 round trip a day (over hills with steep grades) and then numerous road trips. Gone thru a couple sets of tires and am getting lower mileage (47-49mpg) than a few years ago. When I complained my mechanic reminded me that other than routine oil changes and recommended maintenance, I've had NO problems with this car. Can't decide if I want to run it to the ground, at whatever mileage that is, so start saving for a 2011 or 2012.

19. bob34114

bob34114 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a 2008 prius bought March or 08 and now have 95,000 miles with no major repairs just two sets of tires lasting about 40,000 miles each .
    My city millage is now about 43 and high way about 40 it use to be 45 and the dealer says nothing is wrong ( Hmmmmmmmmmm ) I do not use synthetic oil , should I ?
    any ideas for better millage prefromance ?
    I love it ! just wish my millage was a bit more like in the beginning

Bob Naples Florida [email protected]

20. geode2

geode2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2004 Prius 114,000. Ordered it the day before the official model release and waited 18 weeks for it. I got 50.1 mpg on 100% gas, but only getting 43.6 mph on E10 ethanol gas. All the computers were replace within the first year, the car was eating tires every 15K miles until they fixed a flaw in the front suspension.