1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

100,000 Mile Club

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by efusco, Mar 6, 2007.

1. gone2green

gone2green grumpier than the grumpiest old man you know ;)

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Well it has been a long time since I have been on here, hope all is ok.
    Our 2007 Prius we bought with 0 miles on it now has 100k miles, just did the oil change and rotated tires today. We bought this 3-3-07 No problems no batteries , We had Wayne aka= Fireengineer install the block heater while at the first hybridfest in Madison,WI. We now live in AZ again. hahah no need for the block heater, we changed our transaxle fluid at 60 k and now going to do the inverter coolant next week.. This has been the best vehicle we had bought new. I am looking for 300k more miles from this car.
    We did replace the tires at 20 k with the goodyear assurance tires they are the mpg fuel saver they say!!! we average 50 mpg here in the desert AZ.

So I will be popping in and out so Hi to all

2. Deyner

Deyner New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model: Basic Package 2 with BT Tech -Stiffening and Skid Plate.
    Year: 2005 Super White (Purchased Feb 2005) with CA HOV stickers.
    Mileage: 102000

- Most common items I replace are the front headlights, been through about 5 sets. Not HID. Not sure of the reason.

- Replaced the 12V battery (89,000- 51/2 years old) (We had two "All warning lights On" events before a start up, we did not know the relation between the two instances) During 90K dealer check up, it was noted the battery was low and I chose to replace it. No problems since then.

- Not sure if related to 12V battery issue, but around the same time one morning after leaving outside for a couple of cold days. Started and hybrid battery was completely drained. It re-charged fine, I did mention to dealer but they could see nothing wrong.

- 48,000 replace Goodyear Integrities and replaced with Goodyear Fortera/Assurance TripleTread. Mileaged dropped about 5mpg. Current 40-45 average. But I love the grip and they still look brand new.

- I also have a rotational type of sound that the dealer swears are my tires. However, I cannot confirm. We have looked at bearings several times and have not been able to find the source. The sound is a low rotational sound that increases in frequency as you accelerate and viceversa. This item after four visits to the dealer is still open.
    - Additionally, I do hear and feel some drag - not sure if this is aggregating to my lower mpg. I know how to "glide" so the additional drag is noticeable to me; its almost as if the Braking option is on. I also use this Braking option so I understand j-braking process and notice when in this mode how the engine reacts, and in my case the during normal operation the engine is not engaging but there seems to be dragged from the wheel re-generators.

- Couple of oil changes with synthetic oil annually for maintenance.
    Brakes are still strong and halfway according to dealer.

- Have replaced under warranty/recall: water pump, steering linkage, and
    mat/accelerator mod.

- Love the little car. Will tint and leave in cool places from now on; noting the comments about battery temperature to extend the life of it. Has anyone purchased the Toyota dealer Prius cover $200? as an alternate to keep cool or had problems with it over heating the vehicle?

Also have a concern about future maintenance/repairs since people in CA have reported dealers not immediately recognizing the warranty for hybrid components which should cover these until 150K.

See you at 200K.

3. adamiam

adamiam New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    118,000 miles as of 3/29/11...

2005 white nav purchased used 12/07 with 45K miles on it. I love my Prius BUT I'm starting to have annoying issues. Replaced the front wheel bearings at 105k & the 12v battery (purchased optima) at 115k. All of a sudden I am having this issue with the ABS. The BRAKE, (!), ABS & TSC lights come on and will not turn off until I delete the codes. But they come back and I cant figure it out. The dealership gave me a list of possible problems but wants to charge a fortune to "properly" diagnose it. If anyone knows what ABS code 42 is PLEASE let me know.

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    been a while since i've stopped by the forums! i crossed the 100k mark this week, thought it was about time to head back to priuschat for the occasion.

descriptive stats:
    73 months
    100,795 miles
    gave up tracking the mpg long ago (i do enough data at work)

repairs:
    steering shaft replaced- 16,982 mi, warranty/recall
    one keyfob replaced- 27,500 mi, warranty
    upper glovebox door replaced- 35,192 mi, warranty
    window visors replaced- 35,483 mi, warranty
    half the car repainted after being keyed at hybridfest, sigh
    chs water pump replaced due to complaints of cold weather squeak- 52,145 mi, warranty
    brake actuator replaced due to "barking" issue, only because the extended warranty covered it- 60,335 mi, ext warranty
    inverter water pump replaced- 96,056 mi, warranty/recall
    engine water pump replaced due to leak- 96,056 mi, ext warranty

minor/preventive:
    halogen headlamps died, replaced with aftermarket bulbs- they sucked, went back to oem, i run them pretty much all the time.
    turn signal bulbs and rear running lights replaced with aftermarket bulbs, no issues.
    preventive replacement of the starter battery around 4 years.
    pcv valve preventively replaced around 60k miles.
    changed transaxle fluid around 75k miles after hauling a trailer, it looked fine.
    on the 3rd set of tires: the oem integrities were pretty weak. michelin energy mxv4 were looking short-lived, and after i had all kinds of trouble with the defective valve stems that were installed with them, we just said forget it and replaced them with michelin primacy mxv4. they are wearing really well.
    oil changes every 5k.
    the car was the test vehicle for DH's custom shims, they're still fine (though it's probably due for another alignment check now)

other:
    on set two of the "good" oem all-weather mats on the second front end mask. prefer the second one over the first one.
    have only had to replace the rear wiper twice.
    put a set of GTcovers on the seats pretty early on, they are holding up amazingly.
    couple minor glitches resulting from the CAN-view communication. that CAN-view was a gift from hdrygas, who is sadly no longer with us... DH has used the hell out of that thing.
    seat belt retraction (at least on the driver's seat) is getting kinda crappy.

notables:
    subject of lots and lots of take-it-apart and do-it-yourself documentation to be found around the site here.
    hauled a 5x9 u-haul trailer across 7 states and a mountain range, out of sheer desperation mostly, and would not recommend anyone try it ever.

i was a n00b grad student when we bought this car new in 2005, after several months of waiting. it's gotten us through a lot! 3 in-town moves, 2 cross-country moves, midsize city to middle of nowhere to metro sprawl. we've met so many friends and positive influences because of the car and our participation here. when DH went back to school, it took him to classes for a semester while we were sorting out how do handle the dual-student lifestyle. several times the car took us across 1400 miles to see family and friends 2 weeks at a time- or on other major road trips, of which we have done many. we have never had trouble fitting anything we needed to fit in this car.

in short, it's been everything we asked of it and then some. we're exceptionally pleased.

1 person likes this.
  5. plastermaster

plastermaster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2007 112K, No problems whatsoever, 25% left on original rear pads and 35% left on front. Original tires lasted about 50K. Still had one of the belts left :) The hybrid battery still seems to behave the same as new from what I can tell. 12V battery still original. Hybrid battery may charge and discharge a little quicker but could be my imagination. All in all I am VERY happy with this car It is excellent for its intent as a quiet and comfortable ride, and the fit and finish of this car is excellent. I think that is one area that Toyota excels in, the way the doors close etc, gives such a feel of quality. I averaged 51 MPG with the original tires, until they went bald and then I got about 57. The new tires keep me about 47.5 but they are lasting 1.5X as long. Head light bulbs have been replaced twice, because I keep them on at all times. I have driven mostly sports cars, so I miss the handling I used to enjoy, but if I had that kind of handling I would probably be getting 40mpg :) although maybe I would not be slowing down as much for the curves and pick some mileage back up from that? I would buy another one in a heartbeat if I needed another car, but I have some concerns about the III, maybe unfounded though. the weather where I am is easy on cars, but the highways are pretty poor compared to most states. Where can we find MD roads and CA weather? :) Oh Yeah, AZ!

6. fatdawg

fatdawg Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm at 138k miles strong! So far so good... Other than the warranty work and maintenance, I haven't had to pay for any repair work.

Problems:

1. Failed NAV display, after contemplating on buying one from the dealer, I decided to follow some instruction on this site on fixing it myself with soldering gun action. I am 2 years into the fix and no re-occurrence of Nav display problems.

2. Upper glove box is not staying up, I believe the latch broke, but not a major problem.

3. Foglights covers are cracked, left them alone.

The Goods:

1. Still on original brakes.

2. Still on original HID bulbs and fog lamps.

3. No CA smog test required.

4. No battery problems.

Now that I mentioned those, "knocking on wood" please no problem....

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    (7 years and )100K for us too!
    For us, it's been more that we'd have ever even THOUGHT to ask. Really really good.

8. aerogowest

aerogowest Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Try liftsupports.com for struts; they were $43 ea when the dealer wanted $185 for my Subaru. Aerogowest.

9. stopint

stopint Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    july of 2005...'05 prius...currently at 115,000...at just below the 100,000 mark had major prob...ecu and coolant pump...luckily warranty covered...other than that the car has been great...will drive this car as long as it performs and repairs do not add up...i usually avg in the 42-45 mpg range...i do not recall ever seeing it go below 42 mpg...

10. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I've just done a rough calculation on how much we've saved on fuel in our 2007 Prius as it hit 100K.

Since we bought the Prius instead of a new minivan, I'm comparing my numbers to a typical minivan which gets about 21mpg avg for our mostly city usage. Using $3/gallon as an average and our car's MPG lifetime average of 46mpg, the savings turned out to be about $7000. That is, assuming we could have bought a minivan for the same price we got the Prius for, which was $27K (package 3, leather, etc.) In reality, if we wanted to get a minivan with similar amenities and high tech options, we probably would have had to spend at least $30K. So in truth, we've saved almost $10K.

And that has not even taken into account the low maintenance cost for the Prius. After 100K miles, the only major thing we've had done so far was a new set of tires.

11. PoutyPrius

PoutyPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I feel like a tool, but I need to go and don't have time to post my story. But I hit the 100k club a few months ago. 2005 White Prius. Optima battery.

12. E4nier

E4nier New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just passed 222,222 miles on my 2004 Prius! Not sure if there is a 200,000 mile club so I thought I'd start here. So far, the car still runs like the day I bought it, and I am not exagerating. I had a Volvo that had over 200K and it shaked and rattled like any old car but my Prius still drives the same.
    The only problem I had with the car was the headlight that intermittently turns off and will come back on if I turn it off and turn it back on again. The symptom started at around 150K. We called Toyota then and they just blew us off. Since the dealer estimated cost to repair it was around $800, my husband bought the HID bulbs online and replaced it himself. We had to remove the bumper skin to do that but it was not a big deal. We paid $80 for 2 bulbs. So far, it is working beautifully.
    My husband had replaced the water pump at 100K when he noticed some sippage, not leak around the area. He did it again at 200K. My original rear break pads on the rear got replaced at 180K and replaced the front break pads at 200k. He said it did not need new ones then but he wanted to be rather on the proactive side.
    This is the best car I've ever had. It is a shame that my biggest problem was the headlight and since it was safety related, I was disappointed that Toyota did not include this model on the headlight recall. After seeing what the old HID looked like, my husband concluded that it was probably a wear and tear issue on the bulb. It's just odd that it was intermittent.

Good luck on all Priuses in the road!

13. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    E4nier, Brilliant report -- thanks.
    Here is the 200k miles thread.

14. palmer976

palmer976 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Good afternoon all,

I just hit 100,000 today and I am pretty happy with my prius so far, my dealer is another story.

I have a Gen III 2010 Prius purchased in July 2009 and have had very few problems. I average 51 MPG in warm weather and 48 in the winter.

Maintenance and Issues:
    In my first few months I had 2 flat tires, both nails in the sidewall, obviously this is a Prius defect (kidding!). All the tires replaced at 70,000

At 40,000 miles I went to my local dealer and was told there was a crack in my splash guard near my oil pan door and it would cost $100 dollars to fix. I declined, thinking I could make it home and take a look and find a solution. On the way home (a Friday) my oil pain door fell off and scraped across the ground causing permanent damage to the door. That weekend I also noticed a vibration at highway speeds.

I went back to the dealer on Monday, they took my car for 15 minutes and the service manager told me that it would be $350 to replace the splash guard, which he said I must have broken and that there is no vibration, it was my imagination. I live without the oil door on the splash guard and my new mechanic was able to fix the vibration by balancing the tires.

Since then I have had a new mechanic that knows me by name and gives me complementary tire rotations and doesn't make me wait two hours for an oil change! It amazing how nice people can be when they actually want your business. I'll never go back to that dealer and wouldn't recommend it to anyone in my area.

All other maintenance has followed the manual, with the exception of transmission fluid refresh at 90,000 and tomorrow I'm set to get my engine and inverter coolant changed, along with oil change and tire rotation.

Oh, and two headlights at around 70,000, but I leave them on whenever I am on the highway, which is a lot.

So... the only question I have is, do I have the first Gen III to join the 100,000 club?

15. pdlane

pdlane Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2004 Prius delivered in November 2003... now with 110,000+ miles and have had no real problems.:)

Average 54 mpg in warm weather and 50 mpg in winter. When I am lucky enough to get gasoline with no ethanol I can add 3 mpg to my mileage.

I would like to know when I should change spark plugs... the Toyota manuals are vague on this subject.:mad:

16. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The official Prius maintenance schedule indicates that the iridium spark plugs should be replaced at 120K miles. If you have not yet changed the engine and inverter coolants, they are past-due as the factory fill pink Super Long Life Coolant is supposed to be replaced at 100K miles; then at 50K mile intervals subsequent to the first change.

17. webbmeyorktown

webbmeyorktown New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Have had a few problems along the way (headlights, floor matts, water pump and currently battery problems) but right now I am at 157000 miles, avg 49 mpg. and I figure that before the cost of a replacement battery - my savings is about $18K over period of ownership. Not too bad, but this battery thing may spoil the soup!

18. ruralrt1

ruralrt1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    just hit 175000 5yrs of beating on this car delivering mail about 500 stops over 56 miles for 5-6 hrs a day.
    main battery warning trips but goes off again. i tested the hybrid battery. NAPA has a scanner that can monitor it, my brother bought for his shop. battery has 3 banks - reading 352v 328v 357v. its still going strong but got to plan on replacing.
    NEW problem came up! car would not shut off but dash lights(speedometer gear indicator etc) were off. ended up pulling 2 fuses(under hood 1st and last fuses on the right column) and everything reset and worked fine.

19. ruralrt1

ruralrt1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    also broke right side drive shaft. so check around the anti vibration bushing on shaft because clamp broke (similar to one use on cv joint boot) water got under collar and shaft pitted until half original size then snapped. Toyota dealer quote $ 500.00 picked one up from Auto Zone for $68.00 was down for 2 days

20. ruralrt1

ruralrt1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    sorry for the slow response i am getting 30 - 33 mpg delivering mail 3 times as much as the van i was using best part is the brakes last almost a year using ceramics on the front
    and regular shoes on back. also can run most of the route with the gas gauge blinking (add fuel) wouldn't head out into country without half a tank with other car.