1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

100,000 Mile Club

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by efusco, Mar 6, 2007.

1. p626808

p626808 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Nov 16 2007, 02:57 PM) [snapback]540691[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks...
    But I wish I did not have to travel as much.. but since I do.. this is definitly the right car for it.. :D

2. seedypea

seedypea Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    107500 Miles
    Rplcd tires, 12V Battery, Right rear wheel bearing. (Bearing expensive, ($346 by Independent Shop).
    48.7 MPG (Actual).
    Am ashamed to admit it but my son just bought the Honda Hybrid.

Seedypea

3. 200Volts

200Volts Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    159k total
    89k on my 2004 (bought in July 04)
    Rear wheel bearing went bad, due to factory alignment out of spec.
    70k on my 2006 (bought in July 06)
    Traded the Integrities at 1.0 mile for CT. Just about ready to try the Hydroedge or MXV4+.
    Same mpg with both cars, about 50 mpg average (country, city, 75mph freeway evenly divided).
    Most proud of: My thread of "Most obscure Prius facts" .( lol)

4. Liam

Liam New Member

Just reached 100,000 last week. I have a 2004 Prius am that I bought in October 2003. I Average 48 mpg.

Just put on the 3rd set of Goodyear tires. At the last service at 95,000 miles the spark plugs were replaced and the wheels aligned. Still on the first set of brakes. The car runs like new and I hope to keep it another 100,000 miles.

5. grlong

grlong New Member

Have a 2004 model with 107,600 miles; I believe it was option package #3

Purchased in August 2004

Had a software problem @ 22,000 miles (engine quit on I-95). Received a software patch under warranty. Only oil changes and a second set of tires @ 41,000 miles.

Lifetime mileage average right at 50 mi/gal (and I have a very heavy foot, avg 75 mph on the expressway)

This has been the most trouble-free car I have owned (my 93 Camry had 320,000 mi on it before it was demolished in a wreck, but it had a few more problems per $100k mi)

6. DanDrake

DanDrake New Member

Our moderator, Dr. Fusco, made a reference to replacing the "traction battery." Is that an inside joke, like "muffler bearing?" I haven't had a single problem with my Hybrid system, outside of a recall that apparently required re-doing the battery connections about three years ago.

I have a 2002, with just short of 108k miles, and I still love my car every time I get into it. I would drive it more, but it always seems to disappear as soon as I put it in the garage. It gets twice as much use as my other two vehicles put together (a Corolla and a Chevy truck). Of course, access to the carpool lane (added to the law early this year in Arizona) is a huge plus, but I have owned this car for five years without that incentive, and have been very pleased.

Doesn't Toyota have excellent engineers? Even at 6'2" and 230 lbs., I fit in this cute little car more comfortably than in my old '89 Chevy pickup. In fact, I fit better in the Prius than I do in the slightly larger Corolla.

Mileage has been good, averaging about 49.5 mpg over its life. It would be better if my daughters didn't drive it. In fact, I can always tell who has driven the car by the mileage.

I am seeing a negative mileage hit lately, which I attibute to the dealer having put the wrong tires on it about a month ago. This happened the last time I replaced the tires too (from a non-Toyota tire place), so I went to the dealer and emphasized that I wanted the correct "low rolling resistance" tires, but they apparently didn't listen to me, because mileage dropped about 15% after replacement. I plan to go back and get this fixed. Just been too busy.

Our Prius (which the kids used to call the "Stealth Car") is beginning to feel its age, but most of the problems are cosmetic (e.g. minor body damage, which we call "daughter dents," because they appeared after daughters drove the car). It still performs very well and has needed few repairs - in fact my mechanic says the original brakes are only 20% worn!

7. brokerdelete

brokerdelete Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    07 and 04 Prius Owner

Well I just got my 2004 in September with 119,024 on the dial, it's reading over 125k now. Sorry I'm unable to say what may have been needed prior.
    Seems to run as good as my wifes brand new 2007 which, although we just bought it in May, already has 23,000 miles on it. Really cannot discern any difference in drive ability whatsoever.

She gets maybe 4-5 MPG better mileage but this could be due to my driving habits and the 17 inch Scion alloys are way heavier than Prius mags, I know since I changed them out myself.

I just noticed my right tail light was out and only one of the two rear license plate lights was on. My first thought was a wiring problem or coincidently two bulbs burned out simultaneously. However a gentle tap and on the lens and the tail light lit up, tapped the license plate light and it too then lit. Now I have to check it often since it appears a jolt can turn them on, may turn them back off too.

A strange thing happened with the driver seat, a metal rod broke from the center seam and ripped through the cloth making a dime sized hole back there. No way to repair with out taking seat cover off. So I just made an inward bend and poked it back through the hole for now. Picked up a full set of new cloth interior from a leather upgrade job on eBay for $50 bucks which when held up to the original really contrasts the subtle wear sustained, otherwise they appear to be pretty good condition for four years use.

The front wheel bearings or perhaps CV joints are noisier than the 07 but don't sound bad enough to consider replacement just yet.

Wifes needed to go back to the dealership for a power door lock motor drivers side rear door at about 10k miles and the original Goodyears are looking worn to maybe 75 percent tread remaining already. Had to air them up three times already too. That tire pressure light on the dash is great.

My parking brake goes further to the floor. However, my battery seems to behave exactly like hers, same power and acceleration, same comfortable mid-size car ride, I think my motor makes a bit less noise than hers, and less noticeable ICE engagement shudder than hers actually.

Having the HOV sticker is great for a commute like mine. They'd run out of them by the time my wife got hers, sadly.

I'll be sure to post if/when something finally goes. Currently there is zero oil consumption, no smoke or unusual noises, the CVT, all electrical and everything functions perfectly. Hope this information helps ease the minds of others approaching 125k

8. DrFranken

DrFranken Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    2001 at 100K

My first Prius a 2001 model hit 100K this week. I purchased it in 2005 with 60K miles on it. It had a recall for steering problems where the steering would 'wobble violently' when cold. It has also had the hybrid drive completely replaced at about 90K miles. The transmission basically seized up. As I do not have history on the vehicle prior to purchase time I do not know if the transmission fluids were properly changed. (My 2002 and 2006 are getting 30K transmission changes as a result.) Toyota paid for the parts for that replacement. Other than that it has had oil changes and fuel added and has been a good car.

Unfortunately my daughter drives it and averages only 42MPG because she doesn't understand 'driving for mileage'....

9. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    No, that's a legit term often used to describe the high voltage battery. It's not very descriptive, though, so many use other terms such as "HV battery" or "hybrid battery."

10. GlobalWarmer

GlobalWarmer New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I noticed that many of those posting on this thread seem very proud of the number of miles they have racked up on their cars. That seems odd. The best way to give the planet a break is to DRIVE LESS.

I put less than 10,000 miles a year on my truck. So when it comes down to the annual carbon footprint per vehicle, I win the gold star.......

:p

11. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You might want to rethink that. :)

Your carbon footprint for 10k miles:

2006 Ford F-150 2wd 5.4L City/Hwy 55/45 = 8.1 Tons CO2 emitted

My Carbon footprint for 20k miles:

2005 Toyota Prius City/Hwy 55/45 = 5.4 Tons CO2 emitted

To equal the amount of CO2 you produce in 10,000 miles (8.1) I would have to drive 30,000 miles (8.0).

Now I grant you this is only looking at CO2 and there are other pollutants to worry about but I trust they would still be lower considering your truck is rated very poorly in EPA's Air Pollution Score (3) vs. our (9.5). Besides, you said carbon footprint. ;)

To replicate my numbers simple do the following:

#1 Personalize Annual Miles under Carbon Footprint (choose 10,000 miles for you)

#2 Click "Show scores for California and NorthEast States" under EPA Air Pollution Score.

I chose a 2006 model year truck for you since I wasn't sure if it was a 2008 or not. If so you carbon footprint went up but your EPA score is significantly higher. My point remains valid even if it is a 2008 truck though. Try playing with the smaller engines and not much changes.

12. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I forgot to add:

They are basing my milage on the combined rating of 46mpg. I don't get that so my personal score would be better. Hopefully you strive to get better than the EPA ratings on your truck as well. :)

13. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    While conceptually you're correct and ideally we should all try to reduce the amount of driving we do, combine trips, etc.

The reality is that we need to drive. And if we need to drive a lot then it's best to use the lowest emissions and highest FE vehicle possible to drive those miles b/c they'll need to be driven in something. It makes more sense to do it in a Prius than in a Pick-up unless you need the pickup to haul stuff for all that driving.

Further, this is a celebration more of the reliability/durability of the Prius than it is bragging on how far we're driving.

14. ClaudeTee

ClaudeTee New Member

Darn... I came to this forum to brag about the miles I've put on my Prius 1.0, but I'm not even CLOSE to Numero Uno. On the other hand, I HAVE put in over 182,000 miles since purchasing my Prius in February of 2002. It keeps going and going and going and going....

15. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    And who is to stop you! Tell, tell.

What have you had to replace? What kind of maintenance have you performed? What tires? What would you do differently?

16. rposton

rposton Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well my '06 with all the toys has 97K, should reach 100k soon.

Probably should wait to comment, but here goes.

I am not a tree-hugger, if you are, that is fine, I put on the miles fixing computers, maybe I will come across a tree-hugger that is critical that I drove across the state to fix their computer.

Oil changes at 5k. I used the dealer early on, but have had others do them from time to time. I missed the 95k oil change, had it done this morning at 97k, checked the oil first, it was starting to turn light brown.

I rotate tires at every oil change. OEMs lasted till 56k. Dealer recommended Yokohomas, and they look like they should last through 120k. HPG seemed to drop when the Yokohomas were put on, but it is back up now. I am wondering if tire tread has something to do with the perception of improved mpg as the car gets older.

Avg MPG has been oscillating between 51.9 and 52.0, even with these frosty mornings that we have had here in Nashville, TN.

The leather interior is holding up well. I have had to clean it, and the original tan color comes right back and looks nice.

Arm rest never squeaked, and still doesn't, glove box light is on when glove box is open, off when it is shut. Others I know have had different experiences, someday I want to park mine beside theirs and compare my glovebox workings to theirs.

By accident, (I repaired an HP PC at a dealership that displays tech bulletins for the mechanics), I learned that my 06 had a tech bulletin on the MP3 player jack. I had the problem and thought it normal, not knowing that I could get it fixed. Dealer fixed it under warranty.

I drive fast, I generally top off the fuel tank when getting gas. 1 speeding ticket, no mechanical problems. Again, avg mpg is around 51+. I put a bunch of gas receipts into Excel and found that the results matched the Consumption Screen avg. mpg.

I like the car.

The hood has endured many stones. I have been lucky about not chipping the glass in the windshield.

I found the info on the other posts in this thread interesting.:)

17. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Evan, et al: Thanks for setting up this forum to help us gauge the reliability of our cars. I fly small airplanes for a living, although not much in winter, and I always think about the trust we (pilots) put in the hands of those who made and those who service the machines we fly. Same is true for cars, although we are so conditioned to driving that most people don't think much about "an engine out" scenario halfway between on some lonely highway on Christmas day........I do, though.

I've been asked several times about the reliability of my car. The question usually follows "do you need to plug it in?" and "how fast will it go?" Now we can have real life, documented accounts of longevity to add to the "Toyota buys back Vancouver taxi cab" story.

Bob pushing 38k in HUMU, 2004 #7

18. BlackPri08

BlackPri08 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    NO! The Corolla is not larger, it's smaller. We should leave this kind of misinformation to non-Prius owners, not those of us who drive them. Here's the numbers of leg-room of each.

Corolla front/rear 41.3/ 35.4 inches
    Prius front/rear 41.9/ 38.6 inches
    Camry front/rear 41.7/ 38.3 inches

What are you comparing? I see nothing "slightly larger" in the Corolla. The leg room of the Prius is more (slightly) than that of even the Camry.

19. heffd

heffd New Member

I have 110,000 miles on my 2005 prius which I purchased in August of '05. I just did my 100K mile service according to the recommendations posted on priuschat. I changed the transmission fluid and the inverter fluids. They adjusted the brakes and checked the alignment and brake fluids. The service manager indicated that it is highly unusual for a prius owner to come in and forgo Toyota factory recommended service. I have had no problems with the car except a front end collision with a deer and a torn axle seal. I have no plans on selling my prius and expect it to last well past the loan period which will put me at about 250,000 miles.

20. arriki

arriki New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    I'm new to this chat room.
    I bought a new Prius in 2002. I don't know what "package" it came with. I have a tape deck instead of a CD player but I also have a built-in GPS system. What package was that?

My Prius has gone 168,000 miles of hard driving over country roads.