1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

100,000 Mile Club

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by efusco, Mar 6, 2007.

1. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Passed 100,000 miles today. Bought May 2007. No repairs beyond a bumper from a parking lot incident and the usual - headlamps, 12 v battery, tires, fluid changes, windshield wipers.

Have won 56 trophies in car shows. The mission continues: to boldly go where no Prius has gone before.

Commander S'kai's Vehicle . The car that changed my life.

Rae Vynn and Barb Reiter like this.
  2. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    ^ So good to hear! :)

3. artyking

artyking Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been using my '09 on the mail route 3 years (full time) and have yet to do a brake job. Wondering if you've had to replace them yet? Absolutely love this car!

4. Priusyipee

Priusyipee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Replaced the front brakes in late 2011 and rear brakes in 2012. More of a maintenance issue than actual problems. Not to mention that I did not to be stuck doing the job in below zero weather if there was a problem! My commute is nearly 90 miles daily and the route added another 54 miles. I received an LLV late in the year although the downsides overcome any benefits and, of course, I miss my EMA. We do not have the option of opting out of using an LLV once one is assigned to the route by the district (in my case, Albany). I am waiting on a route to open up closer to home - there will be a few retirements before the end of the year. If I can transfer, I'll be back to using my own vehicle :). Only other issue was hub/bearing replacement but from what I understand, this is common.

5. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I took one of my prius's in with 189k moles to he toyota dealer, the mechanic said I still have 50 percent pads left in front and 40 in back.

Alan.. Sent with Tapatalk 2

6. Badgeman57

Badgeman57 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Greetings all, from Texas.
    My wife and I bought our Prius, new in May 2009. It has 176,000 miles on it, wife is a process server and many times drives 200+ miles a day) Have kept diligent records of all work done on it. Have had every oil change and tire rotation done at the dealership. Have had wonderful relationship with dealer and service rep. Had some recall work done on a waterpump issue and steering checked. Recently had the 12v auxiliary battery replaced.
    Here's the only major problem experienced, just this past Saturday we went out for evening (2/23/13), upon startup, the entire dash display did not light up,( odometer area). The GPS side was ok. Also, the right side headlight was out. Drove home about 5 miles. Got home and turned off. Tried several re-starts, still no display. Let car sit about 12 hrs Sunday, got in and pressed start, ALL COME ON AS NORMAL. Operated all switches, lights, GPS touch controls, A/C, all checked ok. Stopped by dealership this morning and told service rep of problem and am having car brought in tomorrow. Wife drove it this morning with no problem.
    ANY IDEAS????

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your car needs a new combination meter assembly and a new headlight. You may need to take a photo that shows the combination meter is not operative.

Rae Vynn likes this.
  8. artyking

artyking Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Combination meter is the dash problem...there is an extended warranty on this fix so will be on Toyota's dollar. :D Just had this done on my 09 Prius, time consuming and you might be in a loaner for a while depending on how the dealer rolls. They let me keep mine until the part came in but they're "SUPPOSED" to keep the car to prevent unrecorded miles from racking up. Headlight is just what it is though.

9. Mickey9201

Mickey9201 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Okay 07/14/07 Ordered from port authority. Received 07/16/07. 07 Prius pkg 6 Slate metallic. Currently at 119,723 miles. It's the wife's car. She researched and she wanted this vehicle. She traded in her 03 Crown Victoria LX Sport for it. They had 4 of them when we tried 4 different dealerships looking for a test ride and the 4th had a Prius out front. So sorry to the person who bought that Prius. We took it for a test drive when it was sold. Salesman got chewed out but I intervened and said do you want to sell 2 vehicles thewn quiet down. That same day I traded my 06 Silverado LT3 for a 07 Tundra Crewmax Limited in Nautical Blue. Needless to say that day we dropped over $60k. SInce she bought the car the only thing we replaced was in 2010 both HID bulbs at a ridiculous price. All wiper blades the same year. Just last saturday we had to replace the car's battery @ $225. Can't complain about the car's reliability. Great mpg's is why my wife wanted this car. She drives 45 miles one way to work. She gets from 45-60 mpg's on that car. It's all in the way you drive it to get max mpg's. She doesn't want to get rid of it. Not even for a new one. Only two small dents on it. Alot of bug mess that screwed the paint on front. I got the car a bra to cover that up. Took it on several 1,600 mile trip through the mountains of VA, and WV. Car did great and doing 75-80mph it got 48mpg. Took it in for the double recall and our grandson who works at Toyota as a tech replaced the hybrid water pump and shaft for the steering. Good to have someone there to help out. When I replaced the battery he was the one who told me about the little hose connected to the battery that most people break it. Less than 30 minutes we were on our way. Less time than changing the HID bulbs taking off the front mask. How ridiculous that was. I don't have small hands to try it the other way. Both vehicle we have we travel alot. My 07 Tundra has 154k miles on it. We also had the brakes check because she is still on her original pads. They said it was still in the green. Even my nrake pads on the Tundra were changed at 130k and still had enough pad to make it pass 150k. Toyota is known for reliability and it is proven with what we got. Again thanks Toyota. By the way this is my 3rd Toyota. Back in 76 I own a 74 Corona SR5.

10. Netbook

Netbook Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This guy claims that the Prius burns '1 qt/1k' that is 1 quart of oil every 1,000 miles after 100,000 miles. I have 104,000 and I never burn oil. Does anyone here have this issue?

11. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Maybe 1 qt every 7500 miles .. That's also because I run 0w - 30 synthetic which us a bit thinner too.
    People that change their oil at 3 or 5k miles will never that consumptive use.

And 0w - 20 is thinner yet.

12. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Funny, my wife's car is nearly to 200k and she would rather drive it than a new car.... Unless it's another Prius of course! She does about 120+ miles a day.

13. Badgeman57

Badgeman57 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Since that evening everything is working fine, haven't taken it to dealership yet due to work schedule. (hoping it holds til I can). As I stated earlier, all works fine, all displays, headlights, all ok. Kinda wondering if "just maybe" I tapped the start button and drove it. Couldn't actually say it was all lit up THEN went out. Really didn't pay attention til I actually looked down after about several minutes. How I could have done that without seeing a speedometer going is beyond me. So, it would have had to be on initially then go out. Strange.

14. Mickey9201

Mickey9201 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My wife's car may lose less than a 1/2 quart if that much in 5k miles. Usually it's right on. Just shy of 120k miles I think you would notice if you're burning oil by then.

15. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Do you mean 100,000 light years? :D

Rae Vynn likes this.
  16. dhanson865

dhanson865 Expert and Devil's advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    nah, the standard issue shuttle craft isn't warp capable. With impulse engines only it'd never make it that far.

17. geeman1082

geeman1082 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Bought my 2007 six years ago this weekend ... sort of a triple witching weekend, because they had low interest incentives, the tax credit was going to be cut in half April 1, and the dealer had several on the lot and was willing to drop well below sticker to make the sale.

It's funny how people try to stereotype me because I drive a Prius, but the stereotypes definitely don't fit me ... I'm just an engineer who loves technology ... my wife calls this my mid-life crisis car, but I'm not sure that's quite right either ... so I remind folks that my other vehicle is a pickup with a 4.7L V-8, and the main reason I bought the Prius is because no self-respecting engineer can resist a car that plots real-time fuel economy on the dash!

106k miles, and am now putting over 30k/yr on it since changing jobs and increasing my work commute from 7 miles (driving my truck) to 86 miles ... man, am I glad that I have this vehicle!

Didn't bother going back to the beginning of my records when I switched from a notebook to a cost tracking phone app, but here are my stats for the past two years:
    • 45.4 mpg
    • 42,304 miles
    • 8.8ยข/mi running cost ($3,194 gas, $551 service)
    First set of tires started planing at 41k, so I put on a set of Michelin X Radials, which have (for the most part) been great, and as of today are down to 5/32, so I'm starting to plan for the next set.

Haven't changed the engine and inverter coolant yet, but the dealer has pinged us on each of the last two oil changes. I talked to the rep today, and she told me it would be about $200 for the inverter coolant change and $150 for the engine coolant change ... she touted that they will flush the engine coolant to make sure they get all of the little particles out, but if I read correctly above, that's not really possible on this car, so is there any reason why I wouldn't do the change myself?

18. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Getting air out of the cooling systems system is tedious and necessary. I just let the dealer do it (but NOT a flush).

JeffD

19. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I agree with JeffD on this one. There are three places where the coolant has to be drained if you DIY. After you refill you have to open bleeders as well as activate the coolant recovery pump to fill the thermos. It is a long time consuming process. You can NOT simply drain and refill. If you do that, you will end up with air in the system which will cause problems with over heating.

Patrick Wong wrote a detailed method on the DIY. If you do attempt to change the coolant on your own, read what Patrick Wong wrote before you attempt to DIY.

20. Eroshan

Eroshan New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I picked up a 2009 package 6 about a month ago. One owner prior to me, with 103,000 miles and all the service records. I even got all the manuals and both factory smart key fobs. First thing I did was purchase an OBD2 device and Torque for android. There were no stored codes in the ECU. With trip A odometer showing a smidge under 10K miles the accumulated MPG showed 47.2. I have swapped the spark plugs ( the originals were beautiful), changed the engine oil with Mobil One Synth 0-20w and trans-axle oil with Redline D-4. The tranny oil was original, it looked great, not real muddy. Only a smidge of very fine metal dust on the drain plug. The car runs as strong as my beast pontiac with a 3.4 V6. Especially going over my daily hill that rises 300 ft in a 1/4 mile. Plenty of acceleration for my needs. The brakes look like new with no visible wear on the pads or the disks. I really like this car so far and have been getting around 50.1 mpg (80 percent city).

ewxlt66 likes this.