1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

100,000 Mile Club

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by efusco, Mar 6, 2007.

1. gondo

gondo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you Patrick!!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you have sks, there is no need to ever plug in the fob, unless the fob battery dies.

3. sjcpa

sjcpa New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just hit 81,000 and got curious as to how many miles these cars can last. So glad to see mine is just a babe compared to those with ODO 300,000+!
    I was driving a 2006 RAV4(4WD) and put 25,000 miles on the first year between work and soccermom duties. Came back from a tournament and husband suggested I get a Prius so I could use the HOV lane while commuting - save time and gas. Still have the RAV (55,000 miles).
    My Prius is the first car I've ever had from new with this many miles and I can't imagine giving up my 44mpg (lifetime avg)!

4. Mochabuzz

Mochabuzz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    2007 Touring package #6
    bought it with 93k
    -Added HID headlight (self installed)
    -Replaced 12V battery
    -Original HV battery
    -45.4MPG AVG
    -painted rear spoiler (it was fading)
    -it burns a little oil.... But nothing too bad
    -Front shocks squeek a little.

All in all.... A great car. 300k is my goal!

#664 Mochabuzz, Jul 25, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  5. phdchp

phdchp Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just turned over 100K miles on our 2008. She has been an absolutely great purchase and was bought as a certified previously owned vehicle from a Toyota dealer in Atlanta. Paid about $16K in May 2009. We added leather on top of that - a great choice. I had some concerns since she had 32K miles as a rental car. But fortunately, my fears were not realized since we have had only one failure and that was a parking light that cost $2 that I replaced myself.

Specifics:

Replaced the original tires at 41.2K miles. Could have gone a little longer, but I wanted to try the Michelin Hydroedge. At 100K miles, the hydroedges are going strong.

Lifetime gas mileage is 43.5 mpg. In Atlanta, we made many short trips that reduced the efficiency. Also, one of the drivers is not very cautious on mileage.

Replaced the transaxle fluid at 61K miles using the instruction I found on this website. One of the easiest jobs ever.

Change the ICE oil at about 8K miles using Mobile 1 5W30. Oil level on the stick drops about 1/4 of an inch in 8K miles.

Have had all the recalls performed - gas pedal, pump, and steerage. When the pump was done, I had the rest of the coolant changed at about 90K miles.

Brakes are great and have not been touched.

12 volt and traction batteries seem to be great. I am monitoring the gas mileage carefully since it seems that one of the first signs of battery troubles is reduced mileage.

In summary, she is perhaps that best car we have every owned and will continue to drive her for a long, long time. And we have had some really good vehicles - Acura and Lexus. We traded in the worst vehicle we ever owned - a BMW 740il. Could not keep that car out of the shop. The comparison between these two vehicles is like night and day. The Prius is an extremely well designed reliable vehicle that is very energy efficient. There are some people that I talk to that cannot believe the mileage that we are getting!

doggeroo, Rae Vynn and Mochabuzz like this.
  6. stillageek

stillageek Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Finally hit 100,000 miles on our 2004 Prius Package 9.

We bought it at 10K back in 2005. It was previously owned by Toyota Motor Corp as a corporate car. Very low VIN with the last 4 being 1211. My research shows it's the 1,211th Prius built of the second generation.

We bought a Toyota Extended Warranty through priuschat.com and used it quite a bit.

We had the MFD screen replaced, Air Conditioner compressor (I think that's what it was) replaced, and the Traction Control computer replaced. All told the work was over $4K much more than the $900 we paid for the warranty. The AC repair was annoying as the car made a high pitched whine since we bought it. We assumed it was part of the hybrid system. Once the car was out of warranty the dealer noticed the noise for the first time. The car was purchased at the dealer and all services to that point were done at the dealer.

After the extended warranty expired we were nervous but thankfully no more big issues.

The car was originally for my wife. I fly for a living and don't drive much so I took it over and she got....another Prius (2010 Package IV). I took it over with 83K miles in January 2011.

I did replace the water pump for the engine out of precaution around 84K miles. Also drained and refilled the transmission fluid around the same time. New Bridgestone Ecopia tires installed around 85K.

Now with 100,000 miles the car runs fine. I only drive an average of 600 miles a month. Planning on keeping it until her new car is paid off (0 percent interest deal!) and then buy a Tesla. This 2004 will be my permanent airport car.

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I suggest then, that you fully-charge the 12V battery if it is relatively new; or replace it if more than 4 years old and fully charge the new battery prior to installation. Then install some means to quickly connect/disconnect the positive cable bolted to the dedicated jumpstart terminal, in the main relay/fuse box near the inverter.

The point of that is to allow you to easily disconnect the 12V battery when the car is not in use or parked at the airport long-term lot. Otherwise the battery will likely be drained down and not start the car when you return from a long trip.

When the 12V battery is disconnected, you will lose radio station presets and trip odometer readings. The driver's window auto up/down will need to be reset when the 12V battery is reconnected. The fuel gauge will blink until the fuel level is read by the tank sensor. Finally the engine ECU will lose its settings and if you need periodic emissions testing, you will need to drive the car ~100 miles or so after reconnecting the 12V battery before the engine will be ready for testing.

Rae Vynn likes this.
  8. Scallywag

Scallywag Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just hit 100k on 8/28 on the 2005 I bought in January at almost 92k. Now I'm over 101k.

I found that the ICE water pump was leaking when I did the 100k maint, and the headlight leveling had been broken so I fixed that as well. Ran great on the 1000-mile round trip this labor day weekend. Looking forward to 200k.

Attached Files:

9. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Congrats on the first 100K. The best is yet to come. Enjoy your Prius. Go OSU!

10. scotrinaf

scotrinaf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I purchased my first 2008 Prius April 13th, 2011, bought it used out of Atlanta, found it online, had to fly down and drive it home to Northeast, TN. This was destined to be my wife's ride and she loves it. We sold her Mazda 3i and never looked back. Average fuel is 44mpg (we live in the mountains), and she turned over 100,000 miles about 1 month ago.

In June of this year, I decided to purchase a different work vehicle (time to retire the 1998 Civic with 226,000) and immediately started searching out another 2008 Prius. On June 29th, 2013, I found the Prius I wanted and bought it. My daughter and I then decided to take a 2,100 mile trip across the Northeast to "test" it out. Just last week it turned over 100,000 miles. I've been averaging around 46mpg.

Obviously I'm not the original owner on either vehicle, but we have put nearly 50,000 on my wife's car and around 5,000 on mine with absolutely no problems whatsoever. I'm in sales, and the gas savings has already been tremendous!!!

11. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Rolled through 150K the other day. Changed my avatar. Long term average mpg a consistent 48.0

12. Chopperman83

Chopperman83 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    155,000 miles and counting. Purchased mine new Jan 2006.

13. Gabby

Gabby New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My prius is going to hit 150k soon and it still runs perfectly fine. It had some scratches and a dent in the front bumper from an accident in the winter and it's finally fixed and looks brand new. I am so excited to see how far my prius will make it before i have to do any repairs. :D

Deemo and Mochabuzz like this.
  14. ToyotaPrius2005

ToyotaPrius2005 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    V
    2005 Prius
    Original Owner
    ~ 80 miles a day

~188,850 miles

close but still need another 6-7 months before I hit 200k

replaced the water pump
    2 starters
    rear lights
    rear breaks
    replaced window

everything still works. :) Drives like new

original battery

questions from 200k club
    1) Did you replace the HV battery pack? NO
    2) Did you replace the 12v lead-acid battery? NO
    3) Did you replace the hybrid transaxle fluid? YES ~170k
    4) Did you replace the brake pads? YES
    5) Your lifetime MPG (if available)? 45-48 lower when its colder
    6) How often do you change your oil? What brand / product did you use? every 5-7k
    7) How about post a picture of 200,000 miles on ODO? in 6-7 months and will also post on 200k club

markabele likes this.
  15. ToyotaPrius2005

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    V
  16. goldfinger

goldfinger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    2005 with nav, 123k, original owner.

Replaced HID sensor just out of warrantee, right wheel bearing, broken coil - replaced both rear coils and struts while at it. New HID bulbs at 110k, had to drop bumper, my hands are not as small as lucious. The HID sensor arm is broke again, but no code so it passes inspection. Just ordered Optima yellow top because 12v is slightly weak.

Had steering recall performed. Dealer says mine doesn't need inverter water pump.

Getting about 51 mpg with Ecopia 422s.

Very satisfied with car.

17. farsidej

farsidej Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2009 Prius, bought new in 2008, (when Prius were hard to find), opted for an additional leather interior; don't have blue tooth or built in navigation. Now have 102K miles on it. Almost at the end of life on my 2nd set of tires and looking for a new set that will last me a really LONG time! This 2nd set has gone about 35K miles. I live in Mass and run between 45-51mpg in spring and fall when I don't use either AC or heat. Winter driving I get between 39 and 45mpg depending upon ice, snow, and low gear use uphill. About 2 yrs ago I added a u-haul trailer hitch for a bike rack. Last month I towed a 4x5 trailer 260 miles from my home to Burlington, VT. Driving 55mph I calculated my mileage at 35mpg! Still better than most non-hybrid vehicles get regularly. I love my car! I lost the water pump around 95K miles, corrected on a recall. I also replaced the rear battery. I change the oil every 5k miles more or less and rotate the tires every other oil change.

18. ToyotaPrius2005

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    V
    my 1st set of tires that came with the car (50k) lasted 51,000 miles
    2nd set Pirelli's tires (85k) lasted almost 100,000 miles but car rides was a bit rough for the first 30k or so
    3rd set from wallmart till now. still good no complaints

~189,100 miles
    95% freeway miles

can't remember off hand what models etc but wallmart only has one that fit.. ~$300 installed for 4 tires

19. qdogfball

qdogfball Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wife's 2009 #2 Base Pine Green just went over 106,000.
    Bought at 48,000 miles in 2011, Wife drives 100-150 miles per day for work.

Had all warranty recall items done, but still get check engine light.

MPG ranges from 53-60 mpg on wifes' commute @ 45-60 mph to 46-52 mpg on Freeway at 70 mph (with 3 cramped teenagers on freeway trips!)

Put Ecopoia tires on at 60,000 miles, but wife (and I !) neglected the rotations, so cupping and wear has killed them, just bought another set and will setup reminders to rotate every 7,000 miles.

Expenses so far:
    3 headlights (Wife changed since her hands are small enough to get in there) - $45
    2 taillights - $5
    all 4 struts /shocks to hopefully fix the cupping and wear - $1,090
    oil changes with 0-20 Mobil run - $75-85
    8 tires at $ 450 per set of 4

Turned Back up beeps off.

Still trying to convince her that the Trans fluid needs to be done. (But 3 different places have refused since its "lifetime" fluid)
    Will need to replace 12V next year.

20. RebL

RebL Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2009 Touring, bought new in March 2009. About to hit 105,000. Somehow I missed the turnover to 100,000.

First set of tires lasted about 40k, replaced with Nokian WRG2's that I had used as winter tires, got new WRG2s for snow, and just bought Nokian Entyres (Direct Tire sells hem with a lifetime guarantee, and lifetime alignment and rotation/balancing with installation). These are 205 instead of 195/55, so I believe the mileage improved. The mileage indicator now reads low (says 15 miles when the gps says 15.2, or thereabouts) when it used to read high (said 15m when the GPS and road markers read 14m). So 47mpg now is really 47.9 by gps, and 49pmg before was really 45.3mpg. Whew.

Very happy with everything but the headlights and taillights, which are abysmal. Headlights are HID but are horribly dim (always have been). Taillights? Thank goodness I had the backup camera installed. Must be a Toyota thing - husband's 2011 RAV4 has the same issue. Huge difference (in a bad way) between these and the 2004 Forester we also own.

Am about to have the 12v battery replaced due to a bad cell. Will see if the headlights suddenly become decent; is it possible I've had one bad cell since purchase? Could having a single cell down cause the HIDs to underperform?

Even with the extra inch of clearance with the Touring (1.5" with the new tires), when I reach the speed-bump in our development, all passengers causing a total over 260lbs in the rear seat are required to get out and walk until I've cleared the bump. I don't know what you folks with non-Touring models do.

Backed into a small but sturdy post. Spouse replaced the taillight for me and helped me "repair" the big dent below with a hairdryer and some pushing (I saw it on youtube) - looks great (though light is still dim) and was pretty easy.