1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

100,000 Mile Club

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by efusco, Mar 6, 2007.

1. Pruiz

Pruiz New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just found this thread.
    -2007 Prius bought original in 2006 since my new-born and the 1992 Two door Saab 900 don't work well together.
    -How do you drive a hybrid?! was a common question I would get back then
    -135,000 miles now
    -Hybrid Battery failed right before 10 years, 100K so got a new one courtesy of Toyota
    -Always parked outside here in the Boston area
    -New Tires, Trunk latch failed, replaced 12v once, hole in the carpet from my heel, had rust in the upper trunk frame and so water would pile up in spare tire compartment (fixed by having it spot welded), front hood latch is pretty shot but I probably open it 4 times a year and can still get it closed, exhaust replaced, both key fobs lost (first one lost after 4 years, second one after 11 years so had to buy two new ones), various little things here and there but overall, a trooper. Now what did I do with all of that money I have been saving all of these years?!
    Note that I have a Mach-E on order to replace the Prius because let's be honest, the Prius is not going to die on its own,

2. MRK0017

MRK0017 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I obtained my Gen 2 black Prius from my father as he "upgraded" to a big ugly BMW after the dealer brainwashed him. This Prius has 260k Km (that is around 150k miles). It still works really well, no problems to speak of. Only issue I ever had happened after a detestable scumbag whom I hope will die a painful death stole my catalytic converter one day (yes, it happened duringthe day on a busy road too). This car is simply a marvel, I like it so much. It's so well thought out, everything is simple to use and easy to reach, unlike on the aforementioned big ugly BMW. It's full of neat little things that make driving it really enjoyable. My father always got it maintained at the dealer with regular schedule, and he replaced the hybrid battery 2 years ago IIRC. As of right now, the car is just perfect.

Anyway, this car is ancient, but it doesn't feel nasty and outdated like other cars from that age. I guess it was way ahead of its time when it came out, and mine isn't even the best trim level, so no fancy cd-changer, MP3, or keyless entry for me, I can only imagine how nice the higher trim levels would have been. And also, if the ancient model is so damn nice, I can't even imagine how cool the newer Prii (Priuses?) must be. When I feel like it I will add the bluetooth module I bought on ebay, but I still have fun making my own CDs like it's 2001, also, my father got hands free installed aftermarket some time ago, so I can answer to calls like on a modern car.

That being said, I'm going to take good care of it and I hope it will last a very long time.

3. nancytheprius

nancytheprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    it will last a very long time with that attitude! Happy for you and my gen 2 does not feel as old as it is, like you mentioned. Check out all the preventative maintenance/upkeep in general that you will find throughout all the forums!

Therese Rudolph likes this.
  4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Ha I do not even have interest in the car gen 1 or 2 unless it's brought to me with over 100K . Period. 220K even better. 1NZ bottom end falling apart? Ha break INS. I put up hi PO blocks up dry no slothing build oil all over everything to get pistons in bored etc . Put up almost dry. At crank the first few travels up n down bore rings seated .literally minutes . Welp let's for drive an hour now. Doing this since the 80 wen we were told oh it all be instant engine fail .Not

SM-A715F ?

5. davedog

davedog Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2005 Prius with 216k miles. Original owner. I've replaced the original battery with a rebuilt used battery. Safety issues with my headlights going dark quickly are making me consider a new car. I think it'd be more expensive to repair than it's worth.

Attached Files:

6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hid? Change over to led and problem disappear the day I replace a car for headlights is thee day...he he

SM-A715F ?

kenoarto likes this.
  7. psychoo

psychoo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I won't be driving for three months now. The Prius will be standing in the garage. Will the hybrid battery fail? I will be far from home and I have no way to drive. The 12V battery is new and charged and the keyless is off.

8. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hybrid battery should be OK. But, if you can't keep the 12V on a trickle charger, I suggest disconnecting it or it will be dead when you get back in spite of turning off the keyless entry.

9. Tarams

Tarams Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Sorry, realized I replied to wrong post!

10. Tarams

Tarams Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My 2005 Prius sat during covid shut down, was running perfect prior, can't recall how long it was unused but that period of non use killed one of the cells in the hybrid battery. I don't have a suggestion, hope you get some(!), just wanted to share my experience in response to your post.

11. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    what is the next oil weight up after 5w-30?.
    Maybe I should start using the next heavier oil than what I originally use for mine is going 140,000 miles..

12. nancytheprius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    IMG_7391.jpg
    Well today i surpassed 100k miles on my 06. I bought the car 2 years ago with 63k miles

in my ~40k miles, the only issue i’ve experienced was an xpress oil change place overfilling the oil. Has never had any issues excluding that. since then i’ve been changing the oil myself every 4500-5000 miles

I’ve changed all the fluids except the brake fluid. i’ve replaced the pcv valve, spark plugs, filters, and brake pads. The tires were replaced by the original owner, so it’s still on the second set. it has the original hybrid battery. As far as i’m aware everything else is still stock

jerrymildred and Mendel Leisk like this.
  13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    First thought when I saw thread title, can’t be many 2nd gen owners still under 100k miles. Cool to see longevity.

brake fluid change is a good idea. Dealership shouldn’t charge more than $150 USD I’d think.

come to think of it, our 2010’s at 95k, kms, so got a ways to go myself. :)

#933 Mendel Leisk, Oct 17, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2022
    nancytheprius likes this.
  14. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    But the fluid still looks as new .like a new Corolla next to you're car etc . You container will be a lil darker than newer car . But on paper towel fluids almost look same.

15. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    LKHF Brake Fluid Tester Detector Brake Fluid Quality Tester https://a.co/eFyCR45

Phoenix Systems 8006-B Double-Ended Coolant + Brake Fluid Test Strips (15 foil wrapped test strips), 1 Pack https://a.co/ibniOI8

There are cheap brake fluid tests you can do.

16. nancytheprius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for sharing, I just ordered the second option. this will give me peace of mind or urge me to change the brake fluid

17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    FWIW Toyota Canada says 36 months or 48K kms, whichever comes first, for the brake fluid. IIRC they used to say nothing, like Toyota USA. I'm always a little incredulous by these variations, reversals, suspect they have more than the customers' best interest at heart...

FWIW I've DIY'd this on our 3rd gen a couple of times (info in my signature), but for 3rd gen there is a specific instruction the Repair Manual, including a non-Techstream option.

18. nancytheprius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    it’s definitely overdue! i do have techstream, but currently i have street parking on a hill. If/when my brake fluid tests poorly, I will probably opt to have it done for me. i assume you have to disconnect the brake line at the caliper in the process of swapping fluid?

19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just loosen bleed screws. I’ll look again in 2nd gen. Third gen says “change”, while second gen says “bleed” IIRC. But yeah, dealership would know.

20. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    2nd gen repair manual only has "bleed" procedure, with Techstream. FWIW, attached:

Attached Files: