1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

100,000 mile service? What do I need to do?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by texasdiver, Feb 13, 2023.

1. texasdiver

texasdiver Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I'm a bit ashamed to admit that I've now driven my 2015 Prius about 100,000 miles and haven't done any engine maintenance other than just change the synthetic oil every 9 months or so.

Is there any big things I should have done now at the 100,000 mark like new coolant and transmission oil? What do you guys do?

2. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Probably spark plugs. PCV. Throttle body cleaning. Valve cover gaskets.

3. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    You could check your Warranty and Maintenance Guide to get Toyota’s opinion. ;)

bisco and Mendel Leisk like this.
  4. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I hope you changed the oil filter with each oil change--I'm sure you have, just didn't mention it. Also, I hope you inspected/cleaned/replaced the engine air filter and cabin air filter at least once/year. You can also visually inspect the pink coolant in the engine and inverter reservoirs to make sure it is at or above MIN level, and that it is bright pink and clear, not cloudy. Finally, I would inspect the brake fluid for light color and clear, not cloudy. Personally, I would not worry about spark plugs or "transmission" fluid at 100K.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    No kidding…

just off top of my head, the engine coolant change. There’s very confusing statements regarding inverter coolant change, but bottom line is delay that to 150k miles.

I gather you’ve never had an in-depth brake inspection, the one Toyota specs every 30k miles? Maybe do that too.

above and beyond Toyota’s edicts:

transaxle fluid change
    Brake fluid change
    EGR cleanout…

Limey Geoff and Doug McC like this.
  6. texasdiver

texasdiver Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    OK yes, I have the oil filters changed with every oil change and also change the air filters at the same time. I buy boxes of 6 of them on amazon and swap them out when I get the oil and filter changed.

As for reading the Toyota maintenance schedule? I have it in front of me right now. Basically from what I can discern it calls for:

changing oil and oil filter every 10,000
    changing engine and cabin air filters every 20,000
    changing engine/inverter coolant at 100,000
    changing spark plugs at 120,000

Otherwise, just "inspecting" everything else from brakes to fluid levels every 10,000 or so. Which is basically what they SAY they are doing when I get my oil changed every 10,000 at the local Valvoline minute lube place.

Nothing in the manual that I can find about any schedule for changing any other fluids like coolant or transmission or brake fluids. And it stops at 120,000 miles.

I don't want to really hassle with piecemealing all these things. So maybe I drive it another year and then bring it in to a more comprehensive shop and then get everything done at once?

Spark plugs
    coolants
    transmission oil
    brake fluids/brakes
    transaxle fluid change
    EGR cleanout

And then just call it good for another 100,000+ ??

#6 texasdiver, Feb 14, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2023
    FuelMiser likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that sounds like a good plan.

one thing, check the engine or inverter coolant schedule. i thought one of them was every 50k after the initial change

8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It’s a very confusing read, but if you follow the footnote, you’ll find a contradictory and overriding statement, to delay inverter coolant to 150k. FWIW, Toyota Canada says change em both at 100k.

Look again, there’s a subtle change to the wording regarding brake inspection, every 30k.
    FWIW, Toyota Canada now recommends brake fluid replacement every three years or 30k miles.

Doug McC likes this.
  9. texasdiver

texasdiver Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Nope, not that I can see.

bisco likes this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    See post #8.

11. nicoj36

nicoj36 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Radiator coolant
    Inverter coolant
    Atf fluid
    Fuel treatment
    Engine flush (bg epr hybrid)
    Egr and intake manifold clean
    Throttle body clean
    Replace pcv valve
    Clean maf sensor

bisco likes this.
  12. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    “INSPECT” is to do a LOT more than just checking the level and color of the coolants and brake fluid. As a closer (and more prudent) reading of that little manual will reveal, it also REQUIRES testing the condition of those fluids (and that goes beyond just testing the coolant for freezing and boiling points), such as the condition of the corrosion inhibitors (which most likely in your case are pretty much depleted at this point). That is one point where the Canadian requirements clearly are more safety minded than the good ol’ US of A. Toyota doesn’t schedule a brake fluid change because you are supposed to be checking it and changing it when it is starting to show signs of those inhibitors depleting, and your local oil change place is unlikely to be doing that (probably even most dealerships don’t either).
    Mileage has little impact on those fluids, and considering the cost of replacing the inverter versus the cost of coolant replacement….. and the cost of a replacement and rebuild of the brake system versus the cost of fluid replacement….. simple elementary school math.
    My point is READ THE FOOTNOTES!

13. texasdiver

texasdiver Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thanks guys. I honestly find this 100,000 vs 120,000 business sort of annoying. I think it is unlikely that I'll have this car and drive it past 250,000 miles so I'm just going to go in at some point and have every single thing on the list done as my one and only 100,000+ service and then call it good until I get well into the 200,000 range.

I haven't been changing the brake fluid but I do have the brake pads visually inspected by the tire shop when I have my snow tires swapped on and off twice a year. I've never had a car that wanted brake fluid changed every 30,000 miles. That seems excessive.

Also, how much if any of this stuff is an easy DIY operation? I don't mind doing things myself that are simple to do. Are there any of these things that you guys do yourselves?

14. nicoj36

nicoj36 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I do everything myself. DIY videos on youtube help. Just search it. For example, prius egr cleaning, prius maf cleaning, prius atf, etc.

15. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    They are all relatively easy DIY. As good place to start is with The Car Care Nut YouTube videos.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    #16 Mendel Leisk, Feb 15, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2023
    Doug McC likes this.
  17. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Ah, good point.

19. Jburner

Jburner Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just did my 100k service and included the coolant as well. These are not difficult at all for the DIYer. All of these things are on YouTube or on the maintenance section here.
    I learned long ago NOT to rely on the dealer to take care of these things correctly. I don’t trust anyone to do the work on my vehicle except me. A little internet searching and take your time and you’re golden when it comes to maintenance.

Mambo Dave and nicoj36 like this.
  20. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Be careful with YouTube, it’s a mix. I agree it’s helpful, but look before you leap; check with repair manual as well.

Doug McC likes this.