1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

100,000 miles, recently replaced headlights now occasionally switch off

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jendbbay, Jan 21, 2013.

1. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i assume it's a loose wiring harness... while chatting with a person who rips apart and sells millions of dollars of prius products... he said our cars are really prone to certain wire harness issues... for mine i pulled the headlight connections off and cleaned them up... wiggled them around and they tend to last a lot longer between issues. before i tweaked them, i used to simply wiggle the connections and that would give me a few weeks.. now it's been more like a few months with no issues...

i'm wondering if something like electrical grease will help keep better connection while keeping corrosion and buildup down....

just my .02

jendbbay likes this.
  2. jendbbay

jendbbay Member

The Luscious Garage is phenomenal, featuring pleasant people who care about their garage, their work, and the customer satisfaction. I had both bulbs replaced AGAIN, but I was convinced that they were bad. For one thing, one bulb was failing right in front of us all, by the time I got there. At first, they were just going to replace the one bulb, but then, when the one bulb was put in, it was very clear that the other one was way under-powered and probably failing as well. So this leaves us with a mystery. Why would brand-new bulbs fail so quickly? Also, they agreed that the bulbs they removed were the correct type of bulb, so they made no attempts at guilt over that. However, they noticed definite discoloration, indicative of failing or failed bulbs. The mechanic says that it is pretty common for these bulbs to burn out quickly in Prius's of that vintage, and he thinks its some sort of zap going through them. He says the bulbs are just fine in other kinds of cars. So, why was I able to drive for 100,000 miles before this happened twice in a short period of time?