1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

100% electric at 100kph !

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by zebekias, Sep 13, 2014.

1. zebekias

zebekias Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There goes the 42 mph myth. I stopped trying to hypermile, and just set my CC to 100kph, and what do I see yesterday?

image.jpg

If I didn't see it with my own eyes I wouldn't believe it, I didn't expect any of you to believe it either, so I took the above photo.

Given a high SOC, the car will definitely cruise in 100% electric mode at 62 mph at mid HSI load, actually in noticed it would even go ABOVE the HSI midpoint.

I saw this happening several times, I suspect when you cruise at 100 kph via CC, the SOC tends to stay high (vs manually using and abusing the battery) so when the terrain is appropriate the car will go in electric mode. I'm also loving the SHM/warp stealth or whatever it's called. When the load is mid to low, but the SOC is not high, I'm seeing tremendous ICE efficiency when the car is fully warmed.

2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I hate to rain on your parade but this is already long reported. My Prius when totally full at 8/8 bars after a long steep hill decent will drive like an electric vehicle for about a mile until the ultra high state of charge has been reduced.

At over 42 mph the engine will have to be spinning (I think) because of the way the hybrid system is designed, even though it won't be using petrol.

You've also found that in the high state of charge allows the car to accelerate quite quickly on electric alone, even temporarily going into the Power band without switching the engine on.

But all this doesn't last long as the battery charge reduces. Fascinating though isn't it? Just shows there is no black or white in the Prius/Toyota hsd programming and that they've actually thought of pretty much every eventuality.

I won't try and go out of your way to get your HV battery into very high states of charge if you can help it as it could affect long term reliability. Try using the B mode when going down hills if you can; it does make a difference.

You weren't imagining it all :)

3. pmike

pmike Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Toyota Auris Hybrid

[​IMG]

4. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That doesn't quite reflect the photo from the op. I wonder if the pic above has been photoshopped as the HV battery is empty?

5. zebekias

zebekias Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Darn, and I though my Auris had special programming, heheh ;)
    I am not worried about SOC, I'm sure there is battery management software that keeps the cholesterol and blood pressure of the battery within acceptable levels ;)

6. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    There is. It revs the engine and will allow your car to drive as you described above. It just might not be preferable for long term health of the battery to cycle it so hard. But I guess it depends if you travel that hill daily and how long you intend to keep the car.

7. zebekias

zebekias Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I have a couple of issues with this photo, irrelevant to my original point :)

The temperature indicator on the left does not light all bars from the bottom on mine. Also I have never seen the HV battery indicator empty like this. When it's low, you can not drive on electricity.

8. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Aw, that is not a Prius? Isn't this a "Prius Forum"? Not to say you aren't welcome, just that it's not a Prius. So any comment that a Prius isn't supposed to do this is irrelevant. A Prius isn't doing this.

9. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The car is virtually identical to the gen3 Prius so why not ask away. We have Volt discussions and similar.

Maybe we need a dedicated Auris HSD section rather than a "other vehicles" section?

If I recall this is a Prius forum based in America. Perhaps Canadians and Brits shouldn't be allowed in either? Or maybe every is welcome and one thread, even if slightly out of place, is welcome? Especially considering all the political nonsense that can, and often does, go on here?

10. zebekias

zebekias Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's not a prius, but it's the same 3rd gen Hybrid Synergy Drive system under the skin :)

11. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Note that I didn't say he wasn't welcome. I said the car is different. Same drivetrain notwithstanding, it's still a different car so may be running different firmware. In fact I would be fairly certain the firmware is different, though perhaps "similar".

12. Maarten28

Maarten28 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    A Prius will drive full-electric past 46 mph, but just as this Auris, the ICE will spin. It is all a question about gradient. If you go downhill a bit, the Prius may have enough power using just MG2. Seen that happen often enough.

13. zebekias

zebekias Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Although I saw 100% electric several times at high speed I doubt this has much of an effect on consumption. At 100 kph the big gains are from super highway mode when fully warmed up. I see 1.x and 2.x l /100 km when on flats or slight downhils.

14. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I've done 80mph in EV after a long hill.