1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured 100% Tariff on Chinese EV's in the USA.

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Isaac Zachary, May 15, 2024.

1. Isaac Zachary

Isaac Zachary Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Chinese electric cars: why Biden is keeping cheap cars from BYD out - Vox
    Biden announces new tariffs on Chinese EVs, semiconductors, solar cells and more - CBS News

These are a couple of articles on the new 100% tariff on Chinese EVs. I'm only adding these for information and would encourage others to not start a politcal debate. I don't share the political views of perhaps any news agency, much less these two.

Regardless, if one were hoping for those cheap Chinese EV's to come into the USA and give a person the opportunity to not only buy an EV, but also perhaps their only chance at buying a new car, well, that ship seems to have been sunk.

bisco likes this.
  2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Tariffs are a Federal sales tax imposed by edict. The buyer pays and the slothful are rewarded . . . for a very short time.

Bob Wilson

TGrracie and Isaac Zachary like this.
  3. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    It’s more than EVs, a lot of stuff will get increased tarriffs

Some increases will take place this year. They include tariffs of:

• 100% on electric vehicles, up from 25%
    • 50% on solar cells, up from 25%
    • 50% on syringes and needles, up from zero
    • 25% on lithium-ion batteries for electric vehicles, and battery parts, up from 7.5%
    • 25% on certain critical minerals, up from zero
    • 25% on steel and aluminum products, up from a range of zero to 7.5%
    • 25% on respirators and face masks, up from zero to 7.5%
    • 25% on cranes used to unload container ships
    • 50% on semiconductors, up from 25%, by 2025
    • 25% on other lithium-ion batteries, by 2026
    • 25% on natural graphite and permanent magnets, up from zero, by 2026
    • 25% on rubber medical and surgical gloves, up from 7.5%, by 2026
    Tai also told reporters that the administration is concerned about Chinese electric vehicle makers setting up factories in Mexico to evade tariffs. "Stay tuned," she warned.

Danno5060, TGrracie and Isaac Zachary like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i was reading that german carmakers warned the eu that tariffs would come back to bite them as they sell a lot of cars in china, and a lot of parts come from china.

and i've also read that china is dumping a lot of products due to over supply. who knows the facts?

Isaac Zachary and drash like this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    unfortunately, this is a political issue, so good luck with that

6. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep... Exactly! Protectionist trade policies can eventually destroy a nation's economy. Especially because BYD is already destroying US vehicle demand in other countries where US taxes can't be imposed.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    insert china for north korea, and this is why we should be backing away from the axis of evil:

index.html

8. Isaac Zachary

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I don't know what will happen to the economy, with or without such policies. All I know is that the economy isn't as easy as one would think, at least for me. I'm renting and rent keeps going up, chances of ever buying a home are next to none, figuring out our budget our next car will have to be $5,000 or less or the family is walking, and I'll be 52 this year and the wife and I have hardly anything saved for retirement.

I'm just thinking that the kinds of cars that would make the most sense for us, like the Honda Fit, Mitsubishi Mirage, Toyota Yaris, Nissan Versa, and Kia Rio, have been axed or are on the chopping block, which to me seems like it would help keep used car prices up. Some Chinese cars sell for nearly $10,000 in China. If those cheap Chinese cars don't come over here or local manufacturers don't start providing econo cars again, then the cheapest new car you'll be able to get will be something like a $21,495 Chevy Trax, and from Toyota: a $23,145 Corolla. Mind you that it has been decades since an adjusted-for-inflation-sub-$20,000 car wasn't available.

If I needed a car tomorrow, what $5,000 car would be a good idea to get?

9. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah... The richest people in the world have doubled their wealth since the pandemic and all 8 billion of us were forced to pay for that for them. And I'm in the same shape as you with housing & retirement. Most everyone else in their 50's or younger seems to be too.

On the bright side I don't think the elderly ruling class in the US can sustain screwing people over at this scale for much longer. It's also been proven again and again that once Trump supporters are educated about the kind of left-leaning policies and reforms that will benefit them financially, they quickly realize that Trump & the GOP have been lying to them and getting them to support politics that hurts them more them helps them. Of course "educating Trump Supporters" is truly an Oxymoron...

10. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If we want a legit democracy and we want to be able to live in a free society the problems you linked to are bound to happen. It's why having a nation of laws that we ALL must follow matters and that lifelong criminals like Trump that never going to Jail (at least yet) is ultimately a national security issue.

It's well documented that China has thousands, if not tens of thousands who moved to the US to go to college and they never went home and the Chinese government supports them in any way they need with the understanding that if trouble arises they follow orders to attack the US from within. Russia has been doing this ever since the cold war days too.

11. TGTGUUD

TGTGUUD Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I am Chinese American. I am not obliged to "attack" anyone if "trouble arises". What am I going to use, my mum's slipper? I couldn't care less about either government as I am busy paying taxes.
    All I know is Chinese EVs are currently the best in terms of variety, performance, technology and overall value. As long as I can't buy one here, I'm stuck with my overpriced Prius.

12. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yea... I'd much rather avoid conflicts with China and with their demographics, they feel the same. Most people don't understand that China is like three different nations rolled into one and when the current dictator is replaced with democracy and respect for human rights their nation will become 10 times what the US once was.

TGTGUUD likes this.
  13. TGTGUUD

TGTGUUD Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    If that’s the goal. We could use some external “help”.

PriusCamper likes this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how does a future america filled with chinese ev's and no domestic automobile manufacturers benefir the nation?

15. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Ask Tesla.

Bob Wilson

16. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Probably need more than 6 Billion of us to help... I remember in my early 20's I'd read the latest news of Tiananmen Square every day. Today's leaders of China are desperate to make that moment in Chinese history go away and it never will... It will profoundly guide the future of an amazing kind and loving new society in China that is no longer at odds with the rest of the world or its people, but in partnership with it!

TGTGUUD likes this.
  17. Isaac Zachary

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know. How does eventually outpricing housing and automobiles out of the average American's reach benefit the nation? Let's hope prices go down or wages go up. That could make domestic EV's, and dometic cars in general, cheaper eventually. Of course, I think it's more complicated than that.

18. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm probably not going to win any popularity contests with this post, but I'm going to one finger peck it out anyway.

The same question was asked in Australia when the govt stopped backing the two major car companies that were really US car companies under a different name.

We actually did all right, money stopped being drained into US executives' pockets and other manufacturers set up shop selling their vehicles here.
    Forget about trying to compete with Chinese EV manufacturers, forget about trying to tax them to support a local market, it doesn't work, Australia tried it and the only people who benefitted were company executives, the workers still got screwed.
    Those auto workers now have jobs that are relevant to the modern era where some countries excel at certain things, China is really good at mass production and robot workforces, the US needs to find what it is good at and support the growth of that industry.

Renewable energy design and component manufacture is an under developed area, new design vertical wind turbines that can be mounted closer together and at multiple levels to better extract the wind energy in those areas, heat concentration to boil water for steam turbines and storage methods to stretch the heat from daylight hrs to 24 hrs .... hydrogen from waste water, there are endless possibilities and plenty of people in the US with the brains to design stuff and plenty of workers to build it.

Australia can't find enough workers for the jobs they have available now, businesses are suffering as a result, you have the workforce, stop trying to flog a dead horse by propping up a car industry that hasn't kept pace with the rest of the world, there are opportunities begging to get from the doodle pad to product, time to look at future industries and let the old ones die the death they should have yrs ago.

T1 Terry

19. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The alternative appears to be a future america not filled with chinese evs and no domestic automobile manufacturers, if they keep trying to sell one giant truck for every four cars they used to sell.

I get it, it's easier just to sell the one truck. Less sales work, fewer salespeople needed, same amount of profit. That should work out for everyone, right?

To say it another way: If 100% of American auto manufacturing has already gone to the dark side, how much shame do you really expect the average American to feel about buying foreign?

20. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Much longer? The rich have been getting costly tax cuts since the 80’s.
    Trickle down economics don’t work, but the people keep voting in people that keep trying it over and over.