1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

100 W Solar charging 12 V Prius battery while running

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Doonyapong, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Doonyapong

Doonyapong New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello board,

I’m planning to do this in an attempt to increase the MPG of my 2011 Prius. My car doesn’t have the roof solar panel, so I plan to add a flexible 100 W panel on it. The output of the panel will be connected to 2 solar charge controllers. One controller will charge an auxiliary deep cycle battery while the other one will charge the 12 V Prius battery. The + terminals of the two batteries will also be connected together via a blocking diode to allow current to flow only one way from the deep cycle battery to the 12 V Prius battery. Please see the attached diagram. I’ll also connect the charger in a way that when the 12 V Prius battery is disconnected, the charger will not energize the car.

My theory of operation is that while the car is running under the sun, the two batteries will be charged. The power from the solar charge controller to the 12 V Prius battery should supplement the charging power from the hybrid system and be used by the car’s 12 V systems, resulting in a higher MPG. When the car is parked or put on standby (not in READY), if the 12 V Prius battery becomes depleted, then the current (with higher voltage) from the auxiliary deep cycle battery will flow via the blocking diode to top it up. Power from the auxiliary battery can also be used when the car is off and not affecting the main 12 V battery because the blocking diode will not allow current to flow backward.

My main concern is that do you think the Prius’s 12 V power supply system (that gets power from the main HV battery) to charge the 12 V battery will be affected by the voltage and power from the solar charge controller? Or will the charge controller provide any output power at all because it will sense a high voltage from the Prius’s 12 V power supply system and interprets that the battery is full all the time? Any comments, suggestions or warnings will be highly appreciated before I proceed to actually doing this. In any case, if this is successful, I plan to do the same thing on my Alphard, with 2x100W solar panels instead of just one. Thanks everyone for your time!

Prius solar chargers.jpg

2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    To answer those questions you would need access to the HV ECU software which has not been released by Toyota. Any Toyota engineers working with that software are under non-disclosure agreements preventing the information from being released.
    Some skilled software might be able to take an ECU and reverse engineer the software to discover the behavior but that would be prohibitively time consuming and not economic. Anybody that tried that would need excellent documentation of the steps taken to prove the software was obtained legally.
    Some countries may prohibit reverse engineering. I am not familiar with Thai laws.

3. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Welcome to Prius Chat and good luck with your project. Keep us informed.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You might be interested in the solar roof Prime diagrams we have posted somewhere. They say up to 10% of miles driven can be from solar. But they are charging the HV batt. Charging the 12v batt helps a little (I believe Prime tops off the 12v during plug-in periods). If you knew the charging rate of the 12v, small for Gen2, you could calc MPG impact but small. Simpler approach might be solar or regular trickle charging 12v with smaller panel. Lots of us in USA use the Optima replacement for OEM 12v. Some in USA some have added bigger 12v battery, I am thinking mainly for running inverter to get emergency power from the Prius.

There are some other hacks which might give better MPG. There is a thermistor hack that some DIY'ers have used here (many posts) which basically gets the Prius out of warm-up mode sooner. Not sure if it makes as much sense overseas where you may not have California-tuned Prii like we do.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  6. Doonyapong

Doonyapong New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you very much for everyone's reply. I highly appreciate it. I believe that we do have a law on reverse engineering here in Thailand (but, honestly, no one takes it seriously). But, yes, as you pointed out, it will require a tremendous amount of effort and I'm sure that no one here would want to do it.

I really don't want to do anything with the HV battery. It seems too much for the amount of effort that I plan on this project. Thank you for your suggestion anyway. :) We don't have the Optima available here in Thailand, although I could buy it from Amazon and have it forwarded by sea to here. Having one in my Prius would be nice. And as you know that here in Bangkok it is hot to very hot for most of the year, so I'm sure that the warmup mode must be very quick or must never have been activated here.

So I'm not sure if I should proceed with my plan. There's a risk of burning my 12 V power supply system. Maybe if I finally decide to do it, I'll surely report the results here so that it will benefit everyone. Thanks everyone a lot for your reply!