1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1000 mile road trip, 38.2 MPG

Discussion in 'Prius v Fuel Economy' started by enviroprius, Mar 24, 2013.

1. enviroprius

enviroprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We just got back from a 1000 mile road trip to L.A. and I am super happy with the 38 overall MPG. Why? For starters, I had very little regard for MPG while driving 75-85 MPH to get to our destination quickly. We were fully loaded with two adults, two kids and easily 250 lbs of luggage. I used cruise control a lot. I love the radar CC, even though there is a mpg penalty for using it. The best part? Our last trip down there in the van (that we traded in for the v) returned just 17 MPG. I'm extremely happy with more than double. We could have taken our 07 Gen II and probably done even better, but the v is more comfortable and has more room.

Here's some math for fun:
    Honda Odyssey HWY mpg on sticker: 26
    Actual on this trip: 17
    Percentage drop: 35%

Prius v HWY mpg on sticker: 40
    Actual on this trip: 38
    Percentage drop: 5%

The only thing I can say is Toyota over delivers on the mileage. The Odyssey always under delivered. Always. Once it returned 23 MPG.

I continue to be amazed by this car (and our Gen II which is now my daily driver). These cars are awesome.

JimboPalmer likes this.
  2. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That's good mileage considering the weight.

image.jpg

3. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    First long, loaded road trip in the 2012 v Five.... 520 miles at prevailing 75mph on snow tires under cruise control yielded 48 mpg. I wonder what the mpg with stock LRR tires would have been.

The venerable 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan yielded 22 mpg on similar trips.

4. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    No back problems? Always interested to hear if the Prius is comfortable for such a long drive.

5. enviroprius

enviroprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What was your terrain? This number is hard to believe. I don't even see 48 when driving 55-60. We do live in a hilly area. And this trip included a climb to 4000'ft.

No back problems. I think the seats are quite comfortable.

6. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    NY to Northeastern MA/NH coast and return; mild climbs in CT and Western MA. No cross-winds. I was equally surprised.

The v Five is the most comfortable car I've ever driven, passengers agree, and the most economical car we've ever owned.