1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1000 Miles in a Tesla Model 3 in 1 day: NJ to FL

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by bwilson4web, Apr 8, 2019.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    honestly, taking it down to four miles?(n)

2. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Honestly, I can't see letting it get below 100 miles, but there are many videos of people showing how many miles they were able to drive below 0 miles.

The other two were much more. In the last one, the car shut down with 34 miles remaining on the gauge.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    plenty of people here doing that with prius as well. as padre said, probably the same type of people :rolleyes:

4. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The closest I've ever gotten in my Prime was when I tested how much fuel was left when the low fuel light came on. After it came on, I drove 12 more miles and then filled the 11.3 gallon tank with 9.9 gallons. So, 1.4 gallons remaining * 56mpg + 12 miles = 90 miles remaining. I also had 20 miles of EV remaining at the time, so 110 miles to dead stop.

Since then, I don't think I've ever fallen below 200 miles remaining.

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Waiting for the low fuel light was usually my norm.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i still do, if i'm local. but on a road trip, i like to plan ahead.

7. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I had a friend like that - drove 80 miles or so after the light came on before getting gas. She just didn't like to go get gas.

When I drove a gas car, I always filled up by 1/4 tank remaining.

I've only come close to running out of gas one time in my life and that was because of a defective fuel gauge in a rental car. Still made it, but only barely (like, I coasted into a gas station). Of course, three minutes later I was back on the highway.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's the nice thing about ev's. i don't like getting gas either. when i'm home, i have a full tank every morning

iplug, 3PriusMike and Zythryn like this.
  9. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Some people consider having to charge an EV to be a far larger hassle than getting gas. This is especially true if charging at home is difficult or if you can't change at home at all.

I have to admit that my total time spent charging my Prime is far higher than the total time I spent getting gas in my 2004 Prius. 3 minutes every 2 weeks or so is less than the 3-5 minutes I spend every day (disconnect at home, drive to work, connect at work, disconnect and move once charged so someone else can use my charger, drive home, connect at home, rinse, repeat...).

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    true, but for me, it's 10 seconds at night, 10 seconds in the morning, and another 20 seconds anytime i recharge during the day.

iplug and Zythryn like this.
  11. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    In a Model 3, suspect the average time spent charging is <1min/week.

12. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    No way. Even if you can manage bisco's 10-seconds each way, that's only three times a week. Granted, my friend who used to have a 90D before it obliterated itself (I think I saw him the other day in a 100D so his replacement might have finally come) only charged on L1 every other day, but most owners I've seen online claim they charge every night, and even at 10 seconds per action that's 140 seconds = 2 minutes and 20 seconds a week.

13. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Published on Oct 1, 2017
    Published on Aug 23, 2017
    Published on Feb 24, 2017

Published on Aug 13, 2018 "I need to replace my battery" Odometer: 141,336 mi. "I had pushed the car three previous times to the same" He calls Tesla . . . remote diagnostic confirms battery is bad. A 2013 battery pack has 'died'. Battery pack replaced under warranty.

I appreciate the heads up as I had a software upgrade last week for my Standard Range Plus Model 3:
    Tesla Model 3 Gets More Power, Higher Top Speed With Software Update

The first three YouTubes did not include the most recent Tesla software. Those who use MicroSoft Windows know old problems are corrected with subsequent updates ... only to introduce new errors (Mac users are snickering.) Regardless, I am trying to measure the 5% increase in power.

I ran a hill climb test to measure maximum power and am analyzing the data. Sad to say, I used my iPhone recorded GPS and had forgotten how noisy it is. I'm looking at using a Gaussian filter to take out the noise before calculating:
    • drag power - using EPA roll-down
    • K.E. power - 1/2 * mass * (v**2) :: note, have to use a SIGN function for acceleration and deceleration
    • P.E. power - g * m * h
    I'll also do a level, maximum acceleration test with high resolution, 3 and 6 axis accelerometers which I have left over from the "brake pause" problem.

Bob Wilson

14. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Takes me <3 seconds to plug in at home. Bisco has a 10 mile EV range battery, 240+ miles for the Model 3.

You can plug in every night if you want to, but you could go to the gas station every night if you wanted to as well.

Absurd to plug in every night or every other night or every 3rd night....since the average round trip commute in the U.S. is ~25 miles (https://nhts.ornl.gov/assets/2017_nhts_summary_travel_trends.pdf see table 27). The large majority of Tesla owners charge L2 at home. Plug in and walk away...

3PriusMike, bisco and Zythryn like this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    let's face it, most people have 200 mile round trip commutes, don't have garages, or live in apartment buildings :p

16. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    "According to the newly released 2015 American Housing Survey, 63% of all occupied housing units have a garage or carport. "

https://www.energy.gov/eere/vehicles/fact-958-january-2-2017-sixty-three-percent-all-housing-units-have-garage-or-carport

Note that just having a garage or carport doesn't mean you can charge your car in it. One of my friends has a Leaf and the carport is so narrow that he can't park in it and open both side doors, just one. This is a problem for a family with two kids in the back. So he can't charge in his car port.

A lot of the people on my block who have garages park on the street or in their driveways simply because they choose to use their garages for storage or for workshops. There's even one guy on my block who parks his Volt on the street and runs an extension cord from the back of the house to the front to charge it.

So, it's far from a slam-dunk that everyone can charge at home.

Personally, I think it's absolutely crazy to own an EV or PHEV if you can't charge at home. But many people do many things I think are crazy.

17. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What I found painful to watch in those videos is not running out of energy. It was how ill-equipped these cars were at being out of energy. 12V battery died (not big enough?), Model X wouldn't go into "Towing" mode and had to be dragged onto the flat bed (that can't be good for the tires and the drive train). What's up with that? Out of energy can and does happen with any vehicle, be it gas or electric. But why is Tesla so much more disabled than a conventional car? Too much electronics? Why no mechanical release for the frunk, where your tow hook is? Why no mechanical release of the drive train into "neutral"? Those are basic safety features that need to be available in the case of running out of "fuel". But at least those gull-wing doors are ridiculous looking.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    or maybe you should watch some 'regular car trouble' videos.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my garage is full of stuff so i can't buy an ev!:cry:

20. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Been there, done that. If car is broken tow truck comes, put the car in neutral and take it away. Takes 2 minutes. If run out of fuel, tow truck (or friend) comes with some gas, takes 2 minutes and we're on our way. Never ever did I have to struggle with gaining access to any part of the car (if I have a key) or getting the car to be able to roll.