1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

107 K plus miles, up-to-date servicing, new tires but now low MPG

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jendbbay, Jun 18, 2013.

1. jendbbay

jendbbay Member

Our previously perfect Prius is now experiencing mushy steering, serious loss of MPG. It was 52, now it is 47! It has all new tires, replaced last week, with alignment. Previously, the right rear tire was out of alignment to the point where it wore that tire out. Rather than have one new tire, we replaced them all, about 8 thousand miles early for this set of tires. All fluids have been checked and oil changes with synthetic done on time. No problems of any kind have been reported to us by Luscious Garage. The tires are at 35 pounds in each. Does that seem right? I was thinking it should be much higher? We now have ecopia tires, which we've never had before. By the way, this is a Touring, so it has the larger tire and even so has always had great MPG at 52.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Raise tire pressure to 44 psi front, 42 psi rear.
    2. If the front wheels are at other than 0 degrees toe-in, that will contribute drag and therefore reduce mpg.

jendbbay likes this.
  3. desmondlee

desmondlee Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    when I replaced my tires, the same thing happened, the mileage did drop, but in time it picked back up.
    It reminded me of when I first got the car and then in time it went up and up in mileage, until the new tires.

jendbbay likes this.
  4. jendbbay

jendbbay Member

okay, we will increase the air pressure and wait a while. I thought 35 sounded way too low. I heard this over the phone from husband who leaves all car work to me. I'm getting some kind of cold and don't like to hear of any issues with this perfect car. Just read about the guy who actually traded his car in on a different one, because at 110,000 he had a bad traction battery. It seems to me that he could have tried other approaches, and I plan to be in this for the long haul. Its just that my husband is used to the car being absolutely perfect.