1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

107 MPGe for Prius Plug-In

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by jbrad4, Aug 24, 2011.

1. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Fun with arithmetic

2. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Very close to 20% larger.
    UK: 20 fl oz per pint
    US: 16 fl oz per pint
    But US fl oz ~ 1.04 UK fl oz

3. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think you are right. As SOC get higher, HSD discharges more aggressively to reach the target SOC. I also don't think Toyota will allow the PHV pack recharge using gasoline.

I mentioned it simply to show the energy waste between 37 MPG and 50 MPG. Hey, 50 MPG Prius can recharge the battery and still beat Volt's 37 MPG. After less than an hour, you'll get a full PHV pack with the energy Volt would have wasted otherwise.

4. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    What thrills me is that with effectively NO battery range in the current Prius, many MANY owners have managed to add a battery pack and give the car some BEV range and better gas mileage. Now that the car will come from the factory with some real BEV range... adding more will be the logical next (easier than before) step. While I'm not always thrilled with Toyota's baby steps in this arena.... they ARE taking steps. And those steps are headed in the proper direction. Yay.

1 person likes this.
  5. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1 British Imperial Gallon = 1.2 Us gallon, or 20% more than US gallon.

6. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Let's face it. The US gallon just isn't worthy.

7. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am in favor of Toyota offering 2 batteries in the Prius, as in laptop, a standard and a large capacity. But, already I hear complaints about the lack of spare tire and reduced cargo room.

Q. Do you think they can fit a 10or a 12 Kwh Li in the Prius?

8. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    hmm. I didn't get it the first time, because the concept is sort of foreign to me, and I hope after this it will become foreign to you. There are extra losses generating this surplus energy and charging and discharging the battery, so employing this strategy will net you fewer miles for the same gasoline than the standard prius, but toyota would likely need to charge you more money for the extra hardware. Your scenario really gets rid of the use of electric miles, which is an improvement for most of us over the standard prius. This is the point of PHEVs.

Yes I am glad too, and happy for the fact that toyota added back the ev button to give the driver some control over the battery use.

9. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    How about this?

For every ~40 miles you drive in Prius PHV on gas, the efficiency gain over the Volt (also driving on gas) can power 14 EV miles.

I am using the "free full charge of PHV pack" to represent the wasted gasoline energy from the inferior 1.4L gas engine.

It has nothing to do with efficiency difference between the cordless Prius and Prius PHV that you are trying to inject into the discussion.

10. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Since the kit makers can, toyota can, but..... I don't think they will until gen IV.

1 person likes this.
  11. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The next generation of "tri-metal" (NMC) lithium battery is supposed to double the capacity. Toyota, Nissan and LG Chem are working for the next gen. In theory, it is possible.

12. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Awesome, this means a lot is possible with Gen IV, although that is about 3 years out. As for the upcoming car, I am hoping for 15 mile EV with 55 HV mode after depletion.

13. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    That is much better, you should probably say miles instead of EV miles. Its important to remember YMMV and this ignores EV miles, this figure will be close to the same whether PHV or standard prius. Remember the break even on gasoline is at a lower mileage because the phv can actually produce some electric miles. For someone buying the phv this is important. Wasted is a loaded term, that I wouldn't use. I don't think it would be fair to say that if a volt owner used 11 gallons less gasoline per 1000 miles the prius driver has wasted all that gas. Around the time the phv comes out ford will also have a c-max energi that likely has ev range and cs mpg in between the prius phv and volt. It will be good to have choices.

Wasn't that the topic of the thread, the mpge of the phv prius. The non plug-in prius is the important benchmark. The 107mpge is for a european test that is much easier than the epa test. There is in implied number of miles and equivalence between electrical and gasoline mileage. The epa 2013 will likely have a blended MPGe for a small number of miles around 13 that may be near this high rate, but then will include a CS mpg that should be around 50.

14. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, doubling the capacity for the same physical size would be great.

But, LG Chem makes the Volt's battery, how is that possible?

15. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If they can fit the Leaf's pack in a Leaf, they can certainly fit a 12 kWh pack in the Prius. What can fit really isn't the limiting factor here.

16. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was thinking in terms of the Prius being a plug-in hybrid with 2 propulsion systems, space and weight will be limiting factors.

17. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ah, got it. Yes, it would be far easier to get rid of all that extra cost weight, volume and complexity of of the ICE, exhaust and gas tank. ;) Hey, a guy can dream.

18. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If NMC means Nickel-Manganese-Cobalt, than I had understood it always had double the capacity of the LiFePO4 type used to transportation use. What NMC, especially C, lacked was safety and longevity. Are these problems now being fixed?

19. SmogSlide

SmogSlide Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    True that would be inefficient charging while cruising, but I think the standard Prius do charge the battery while freeway cruising?

There were several times where the HV battery has low SOC after some traffic jam, and was recharged back to 6/8 bars (2 from the top) when the traffic flow was back to normal after maybe about 10 mins of cruising.

Granted, the FE might hurt a bit, but just imagine if Toyota can somehow manage to find an efficient way to recharge the li-on battery while crusing... :D

20. evfinder

evfinder Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Regen is a braking function so how long would you want/could you cruise on the highway with your brakes on?

You would get some recharging going down a steep hill but I doubt that you would find a hill steep enuogh to fully recharge the batteries.

Remember there is no free lunch, to charge the batteries from the ICE you have to put in more energy than the batteries take since there is going to be losses in the charging system. The whole idea of a plug-in is to be able to use power from the grid to drive your car rather than using gas so you don't really want to use gas to charge the batteries.

While it would be nice to have the car fully charged when you get to your destination it isn't likely to happen.