1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

10K oil changes are BAD! ??

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by NewHybridOwner, Aug 3, 2022.

1. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Take your used engine oil to your local auto shop to be recycled for free so you don’t throw them away in the garbage.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Both samples are Toyota 0W20. Left side new, right side after maybe 4000 kilometers.

117+118.JPG

mtl likes this.
  3. mtl

mtl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I already do that ;). Together with the oil filter and all rags that are used in the process. But still, it is a waste of all resources IF not needed.
    Thank you very much. This is what I was after. On a quick look, it looks (it does NOT mean it is) the same. Also that gold reflection at the top, but black.
    What kind of driving was done in these 4000km? Long drives, mainly short city driving?

I will do another oil change at 8.000 miles with Mobil oil and if the result will be the same I will go for 10.000 miles oil change. Of course if the type of driving will stay the same. If it will change to mainly short city driving, the oil service interval will be shortend.

4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    A mix of driving, fair amount shorter trips, mostly lower speeds. To be fair, if I were to check that used oil on the dipstick, it would look almost as-new.

It's up to owners, their comfort levels, how long they intend to keep the cars, and on and on. I DIY change ours every 6 months (CDN 3rd gen oil changes spec is 6 months or 8K kms, whichever comes first). Our annual usage is under 5K kms (gives us an insurance break)now... Appreciate that's overkill, but I do walk the used oil and filters down a trail, drop it them off at Mr Lube, the recyclers here.

I was using bulk Toyota 0W20 oil purchased through local dealership, using my own containers for both the new and used oil, so not adding used oil bottles to the recycle burden. That used to be readily available, for around $3~4 CDN per liter.

Of late the price kept climbing, over $11 per liter, and then they completely shut the door, won't sell it to me. Not that I'd be interested at that price. So I've caved, picked up the 5 quart 2-pack of Kirkland 0W20 (10 US qts) for $60 CDN this last time.

For your high miles siutation, 8000K miles is a good compromise, it helps.

#144 Mendel Leisk, Oct 1, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2022
    Merkey and mtl like this.
  5. mtl

mtl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree, it depends on the owner. Although I intend to keep the car for around 3 years and 150.000km. But I do not service it for my ownership time. I service it as best I can to give it to the next owner in best possible shape. Without throwing resources through the window. I really hate owners who do not keep their cars in great shape. I had a bad experience exactly with this car: Toyota service center and not servicing as per Toyota schedule | PriusChat

Now that is a steep increase in price. I have noticed that oil prices have gone up cca. 30% here in last half a year.
    I will see what will be the result with Mobil oil after 8.000 miles. Since first 2.000km were still done by previous owner and this oil is supposed to be better then factory Toyota oil.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Used oil doesn't hurt the environment one bit! It came from the ground!!!!!!
    No sense in execising, you're wasting resources. No sense in driving! You're wasting resources!!!

Grit likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you don't mind, a completely off-topic tip on English idioms?

The usual expression would be "throwing resources out the window". When you say "through" the window, it implies the window was closed when you threw the item, shattering the glass. Perhaps that would be appropriate for my oil change interval, lol.

#147 Mendel Leisk, Oct 1, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2022
    burebista and mtl like this.
  8. mtl

mtl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thx for correction ;), English is not my native language.

Regarding your oil service interval: if using the car only in short city drives (2-3km) it is good. Because that is the worst possible use scenario for a car, since it basically always operates at cold temperature and thus also the water condensation does not disappear. And possible also fuel wapor does not disappear and is mixed with oil, which is really bad.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hmm, I agree the idiom is "out the window" for wasting something, but I'm not sure "through" the window has to mean it was closed. It could, though. With any luck, it was open when you through the item threw it.

burebista, jzchen, CR94 and 2 others like this.
  10. mtl

mtl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You have missed one bit in my statement and it was written with large font ;):
    Regarding your statement on oil pollution I 100% do not agree. There are enough resources available out there regarding this ;).

11. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I looked, no large print....
    Not important,,, Your car.....

Grit likes this.
  12. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Or threw the item through it?

13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Mendel went back and fixed #147. What a square.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    mikey_t, mtl and Georgina Rudkus like this.
  15. OptimusPriustus

OptimusPriustus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have had diesel cars for some 14years. Be it old or new oil in them it’s always pitch-black:) Still, i follow 20kkm OCI and no problems. Oil is 0-W30 and consumption meaningless. 255kkm on the clock.

This is just to say that oil being black does not automatically mean it’s killing the engine fast.

16. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I just changed the oil in my 2012 Prius v at the 6 months interval and a little over 900 miles. I drive exceptionally short distances around the neighborhool and just about 3-4 trips on the freeway.

The oil come out very dark and as dark as some with 5k of highway driving.

I do not see this oil change as a waste, since the Mobil 1 oil and Toyota spin on oil filter change costs me no more than $15.

During the the height of the Covid pandemic, I bought two boxes of 12 quart 0W20 for $30 each at the local Walmart.

Even after I've used up both boxes, I'll still change the oil at the 6 months interval, whatever or how low the mileage is.

It is a cheap investment to long engine life.

#156 Georgina Rudkus, Oct 6, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2022
    ColoradoBoo, mtl and Mendel Leisk like this.
  17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm in the same scenario, doing oil change every 6 months, and under 3000 kms per year. (y)

upload_2022-10-6_14-43-56.png

#157 Mendel Leisk, Oct 6, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2022
    ColoradoBoo, mtl and Georgina Rudkus like this.
  18. mtl

mtl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    With diesel engines is a little different in comparison to petrol engines. After cca. 1.000 miles the oil will be black, but you can still see the difference between service interval of 9.000 miles and 18.000 miles.

mikey_t likes this.
  19. OptimusPriustus

OptimusPriustus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Probably bearings in diesels are more ”heavy duty” or something. And they dont rev so high. On the other hand diesel fuel often dilute the oil especially if driving is short trip driving. Still, 500kkm is nothing special. And the oil is immediately black, no need 1000miles:)

mtl likes this.
  20. NewHybridOwner

NewHybridOwner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My local AutoZone won't take the filters: "Throw them in the trash" they say.