1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

11.6” Behavior Change

Discussion in 'Prime Audio, Electronics, and Infotainment' started by mr88cet, Feb 1, 2020.

1. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    For the past week or so, meaning the last week of January 2020, I’ve noticed a couple of minor but curious changes in the behavior of the 11.6” screen.

These changes are not particularly problematic, but I’m just wondering why it changed out of the blue, and wondering if any of you have seen either of these too:

First, upon power-up, it shows the ... “wheel of icons” for lack of a better phrase ... at the bottom of the screen, along with its reflection on the MID. Again, this at the bottom of the screen, not in the center of the screen as you would see if you hit the menu button.

Second, the maps started showing the box listing exits, whether or not I’m using the NAV to get me somewhere. I have turned that off, but it often keeps coming back.

Again, not a big problem, but just wondering whether anybody else has seen a behavior change along these lines.

2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Picture may help. Not that I have seen any changes on my 11.6 screen recently. Did you do any update recently?

3. Dennis_MA

Dennis_MA Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I have seen the same thing with mine. I can't remember when it started. I suspected an OTA software update. Also not a big problem for me. I am having a service in a couple of weeks and was planning to ask then.

4. GSK

GSK Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited

mine has been like this since I first bought it. Isn't this normal?

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The first part is normal to me (mine's a 2018). When the car starts, it always shows the bubbles at the bottom of the screen (and when I press HOME). The nav map is zoomed in (no different than if you had the radio or climate screen in the bottom half).

Not sure about the second one. I know in my old 2010, I had it set up to auto-switch to "Freeway Mode" when I'm on the freeway by switching to that mode while I'm on the freeway so that it disappears when I'm back on surface streets.

Perhaps try that. Turn that off when you're on the freeway. (i.e. choose Single Map Mode)

6. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I did not put in any updates, and I know of no automatic-update mechanism on the P.Prime.

7. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It is indeed of that nature: Showing exits on the freeways, but not in residential areas. I have turned off “freeway mode” but that mode switch does not appear to be “sticky” — it keeps coming back. Previously it stayed off.

FWIW, I’m fine with it showing exits, but the problem is that doing moves the icon representing the car on the map over to the left, reducing the amount of map context we can see. In most cases, I’d prefer to see more map.

#7 mr88cet, Feb 1, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    Tideland Prius likes this.
  8. Nuclear_Charged

Nuclear_Charged New Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Upgrade
    hit "options" in the upper lest of the screen, then map type (or similar) then you can select a single map or 2maps or freeway exit map

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

9. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah, did that, but that setting isn’t “sticking”; it seems to keep switching back.

BTW, nobody else is driving the car — well, assuming nobody is breaking into the car and changing the settings just to mess with my brain .

A couple days after I posted the original message, it seemed to have stopped powering up with the ... icon wheel. So, that appears to have gone away.

We’ll see if the “freeway mode” goes away too.

#9 mr88cet, Feb 3, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
    Nuclear_Charged likes this.
  10. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I don’t think I saw “freeway mode” on the way to work this morning either.

I guess the 11.6” software must have been just going through some sort of rebellious phase... (Kinda like the project I’m working on at work now, come to think of it: apparently I’m suffering from delusions of grandeur that suggest I can move a project easily from g++ to Visual Studio! )

#10 mr88cet, Feb 3, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2020