1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

11.6 inch display - day-night threshold.

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Technical Discussion' started by ice9, Nov 1, 2019.

1. ice9

ice9 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Is there any way to adjust the day-night threshold for the 11.6 inch display?

When I first bought my Prius earlier this year, it was set up perfectly. However, after having window tinting installed, the display goes to "night mode" whenever I go under a bridge or drive through heavily wooded areas during the day.

I like to use the night mode when driving at night, but when it switches during the daytime it's distracting.

#1 ice9, Nov 1, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    does the dash light dimmer wheel not control it?

ice9 likes this.
  3. ice9

ice9 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well I'll be dipped in dog doo-doo. I thought that was just a brightness control for night mode.

Actually though, it's not really a threshold adjustment. You have to set brightness to max, and it permanently sets it to daytime mode... ...but that's good enough. I will have to turn down the brightness every time I drive at night though.

Thanx!

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Isn't there a sensitivity setting in the Settings menu to adjust the sensitivity of the automatic headlights? (That may also control the dimming of the screen)

5. ice9

ice9 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That would be nice if they did. However, according to the owner's manual, the automatic headlights sensor sensitivity can only be temporarily lowered (through a sequence of power off, power on, followed by 10 hi-low beam selections (before 30 seconds after power on).

Update: I just went through the multi-function and 11.6" screen display controls. As described above, the dimmer wheel (it's an up-down arrow button control on gen 4's) controls display brightness, but for the multi-function display only. It has no effect on the 11.6" display other than to switch it to daytime mode when the dimmer "wheel" is set to maximum brightness. The 11.6" display brightness and contrast is controlled by pressing the menu button, then (via touch screen) under <menu> <display> <general> <brightness> / <contrast>.

As far as I can tell, the dimmer wheel cannot be used to control the day/night threshold or sensitivity, nor is there a separate control for it.

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The part you quoted is for the automatic high beam control, not the automatic headlights.

687A720B-25D8-47D8-8843-2C639C3A940E.jpeg

On your 11.6” screen, touch MENU then Settings then Vehicle Settings, Vehicle Customisation, Lights Setting, Headlight Sensitivity.

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  8. ice9

ice9 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    No. I didn't even look in the (general) settings in the 11.6" display menu. I was taking the users manual's word for it - not knowing that there was a distinction between "automatic high beam control" and "automatic headlights"... ...Go figure.

In any case, from your images, it doesn't look like there is anything in the "lights settings" that allows control over the day/night sensitivity or threshold, but I will look at it again tomorrow. Obviously, I need to dig into it a further since there are drop down menus on that screen that I completely missed.

Thanx,

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No but I was suggesting that maybe the "headlamps-on sensitivity" may change the day/night threshold (knowing Toyota and its obscurities). At least it's worth a shot.