1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

11.6 inch screen worth it?

Discussion in 'Prime Audio, Electronics, and Infotainment' started by aznkorboi, Jan 25, 2017.

1. aznkorboi

aznkorboi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    lol. 11.6 it is. It's interesting how you need to have a certain model type to get certain features. You can't just add on things. Perhaps it makes it easier for the consumer.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it makes it more profitable for toyota, and less sku's to deal with. you want the large screen? you have to pay $,000. for the next package or whatever. you want phone apps, you have to buy the next package. that's all profit.
    think of it like cable tv.

Captmiddy and Mendel Leisk like this.
  3. Captmiddy

Captmiddy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Like bisco said, it is about profits. Make a minor feature people really want, add a bunch of low cost extras into a package, and package them all together for a high price. It gets even worse that before it gets to you, the dealership crams additional extras on many vehicles as well and packages it in the sticker. Most people won't ague to get these removed. Heck I didn't when I accepted locking wheel lugs, like I really need those, tire theft just isn't that high, and if someone really wants the tires they can cut off the lugs.

And try to buy Verizon Fios without getting a phone line. It is crazy, you get $5 off the price of Cable and Internet by adding the phone. How does that make sense? Same package otherwise, just bundle in a phone and $5 off. The reason is that 2 years down the road, when you feel too lazy to argue and don't want to move, they normalize the price and you are paying $50 more.

bisco and Mendel Leisk like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    same with comcast. i finally broke down to get my bill from 160 to 100 for two years guaranteed, then, all bets are off.

5. EspressoFueled

EspressoFueled Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I test drove a premium model and a plus model specifically to decide on whether the bigger screen made sense to justify upgrading.
    It didn't for me. I actually much prefer the smaller 7" high res screen with physical buttons and a CD slot that in itself is anachronistic, but makes for a lovely location to mount a phone.

I can easily turn off the stereo or change the temperature without taking my eyes off the road with the 7" screen physical buttons. So I was happy to save the money and just bought the plus model.

allotropic, bisco and Will_Prius16 like this.
  6. Captmiddy

Captmiddy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    There is a CD in the Plus? How quaint :D . I joke but I sort of miss it more than want to pick on it. I used to build CDs of MP3s with christmas music on them or travel mixes that we would pop in the car for our long drives. This cost me less than $0.10 per disk and when they broke who cares, make a new one for $0.10 per disk. Now I have to make a thumbdrive, remember to pull the silly thing so no one thinks hey look a thumbdrive to steal, and when it goes south it will cost me a good $2 to $3 to replace.

Again for me it wasn't one feature but the sum of features that determined which screen I got. I looked at the Plus and just could't bring myself to not have all the features it was missing. The steering wheel heat and the remote climate were almost enough to force my hand alone. Bad hand circulation making my hands constantly cold makes the heated steering wheel my favorite feature.

Apparently I can also easily turn off the stereo and change the temp without taking my eyes off the road too, although not always in predictable ways :D. I still don't know how my stereo ended up off this morning and on the wrong channel.

ruby likes this.
  7. ruby

ruby Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    LOL! Glad I'm not the only one who found those "features!" I've turned off the stereo several times. :D

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's not a bug.

If you swipe up on the MFD to rotate through the Home screen buttons, the car will mimic those icons on the MID.

upload_2017-1-27_17-17-23.png

9. FA6

FA6 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    That cross traffic alert is THE reason for my getting the Advanced...plus it has a few other useful features. I def like the idea of a large screen as well.

Db17 and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  10. allotropic

allotropic Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Same! Test drove an Advanced and wasn't thrilled with the responsiveness of the screen or the UI, so I specifically hunted down a Plus for purchase.

Come to think of it, I'm sure I would have gotten used to the bigger screen in due time, but I'm still old-fashioned enough that I prefer to have analog HVAC controls. Plus, no one in my family has a phone capable of wireless charging.

bisco likes this.
  11. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do we have any idea of ratio of Prime sold w/ 11 screens? 50.50?

12. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Since 2 out of 3 models have it I would thing it would be at least 65% but most likely higher since it is a draw for many.

Also, many arriving in the Midwest have been advances so not much choice yet.

13. Sandollars

Sandollars Prius Maven

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I love the screen.

iPhone ?

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    seems like most here have premium or advanced.

i'm a button guy, but i keep getting mailings from aarp.

15. James Wells

James Wells Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    For such a nice and advanced Auto as my Prime, the 11.6 screen is an incredible disappointment! The UI is so 1995 and so inferior to my Android Pixel. The Nav is not even close to Google Maps. Toyota needs Android Auto and Apple Carplay. But I'm afraid they won't do (Toyota marketing, are you listening?). As soon as some Auto maker comes up with an equivalent car, bye-bye Prime.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

bisco likes this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you're right, they won't. and no, marketing isn't listening. can you say ionique?

17. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Mine hasn't arrived yet, but from my test drive and all the YouTube videos, being able to see more of the map, or other stuff simultaneously with the map, seems well worth it.

In my case though, there are many other Advanced features I wouldn't want to lose, like the garage-door opener, auto-dimming mirror, and especially remote climate and the ultrasonic sensors.

iPhone ? Pro

FA6 and Sandollars like this.
  18. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah, if they supported CarPlay, I would definitely use it.

iPhone ? Pro

19. Sandollars

Sandollars Prius Maven

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Dont forget the sweet JBL sound, HUD display, Auto wipers, Auto brights, Blindspot monitor and rear cross traffic. You know what? Screw the monitor, all the aforementioned are absolute necessities in my book. I still love the monitor.... :)

Samprocat and mr88cet like this.
  20. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yes indeed!

iPhone ? Pro

Sandollars likes this.